What's new

Thayers Witch Hazel, with/without alcohol

Ok guys have a question, i ordered some Thayers Witch Hazel but realized after i ordered it that it 's without alcohol so with that said is there a difference ?

My plan is to use after right after my rinse and before my AS splash and balm.

I've seen a few threads on Thayer's where some members claimed that it's hardly even actual witch hazel. Supposedly real witch hazel is supposed to contain 14% alcohol so the fact that Thayer's has none is questionable. The main ingredient also happens to be water, which is listed as the first ingredient.

If I use witch hazel then I also do it in the order that you wrote - witch hazel first, followed by a splash or balm. Pure witch hazel smells atrocious so it's always the first thing that I apply in hopes that the splash or balm will help to cover the awful scent.

I originally used witch hazel from the drug store but the smell was horrible. I then started adding it to different aftershaves. Currently I have a mix of witch hazel (used thayers witch hazel astringent this time) with Clubman Bay Rum with some glycerin added in. It works fairly well

It's the best WH I have ever used bar none. I use the Medicated, Rose Petal, Lemon, Super, and Lavender and like them all.

Well supposed to be here today so hopefully tomorrows shave will include WH, I think I was more concerned it did not contain alcohol but apparently that does not matter.

Here is the definitive witch hazel thread if you have any questions regarding alcohol content. There's at least one argument that anything that doesn't contain 14% alcohol isn't "real" witch hazel and the other side that claims that due to commercial labeling laws, anything that is marketed as witch hazel actually does contain real witch hazel. As you can see, a lot of people use Thayer's and they enjoy it. I haven't used Thayer's myself but I don't think their scented offerings are a bad idea considering that the standard witch hazel that I use smells like old bath water and sweaty feet.

If you are following with an AS with alcohol in it, it's not going to matter much if your Thayers has it or not.
I have and like both.
Some don't like to put any alcohol on their face, but I feel like something is missing if I don't. :001_cool:

What scent did you get?

Just an update on the Thayers, have been using it after every shave (shave everyday) and even been using just a touch in the evening after I clean my face with Florida water and it's either a placebo affect or it's actually doing something, my skin seems to feel a whole lot smoother so i am curious to see what happens after a month or so but from what I am experiencing now i will surly keep Thayer's in my post shave routine, not sure what else they offer in WH other than scented but going to look as this used up.

Razor: Wacker Chevalier

Strop: TM Spanish Bridle

Soap: Chilly Willy

Brush: Custom Badger

Aftershave #1: Thayer’s WH

Aftershave #2: Cap'n Choice Cat of Nine

Balm: Neutrogena

Talc: Clubman

IMG_6074.jpg

Last edited:
M

Member 113878

I use the original one with alcohol, unscented, after shaving and before the aftershave lotion or balm.

Thayers is my favorite, I even used it to make my own aftershave balm since it already has all the good things, their Witchazel is not distilled like the others with 14% alcohol and it retains more of the beneficial tannins, plus it has aloe, cucumber, glycerin, calendula etc.

Depending on which one's you use. I mix in shea butter, jojoba seed oil, argan oil etc.
and I got one of the best aftershave balm I have ever used. The Super Hazel gets rid of razorburn and irritation really fast and face feels good all day.

I use an alum block after I shave which I rinse off after a minute or two. That is followed by Thayer's alcohol free witch hazel, currently have the Lavendar. That is followed by my after shave splash or balm. Honestly, not sure if the witch hazel is required but it does make my skin feel very nice. I usually also splash it on when I get home from work. I just like the feel of it and the brief scent.

Well I have been to Thayers site and they have a WH aftershave that has 14% alcohol in it and then they have one that has 10% alcohol in it so my try one of these next, not sure if they would yield better results having alcohol

Top Bottom