What's new

Tell me about the PILS razor

There isn't much information on this razor that I could find other than it's supposed to be nice. What does it compare to in more popular razors? Would any of you trade a SS Wolfman Razor for one? Thanks for your replies.

They were an odd design. Visually appealing, but a few short comings. One, the lack of knurling on the handle made it difficult to control when wet. Two, not all were completely stainless steel. Three, head geometry resulted in a shave angle that was near perpendicular to your face. I have a 101NN that I was trying to sell, but I didn't put much effort into it when I noticed it had a few dings in the handle from storage.

The 101NN was supposedly a SS head on a brass handle nickle plated. Early versions of the all SS 101 were prone to a discoloration in the SS if not thoroughly cleaned after each use...I'm not sure if that was ever straightened out later or not.

They were more or less a love hate razor. An efficient razor no doubt, but we have a better choices today, I.E. ATT, Timeless, Wolfman, etc.

Yeah, I found a few more older threads about the PILS. Definitely not something I would want to take a gamble on although it does seem like a nice razor.

Nice looking razor and not a very great shave. The real novelty was its introduction to most of the idea and execution of a solid stainless steel razor. Quality was okay but like others have mentioned, it was slippery and the head often showed rust spots after a few uses. I sold mine not long after obtaining it.

I have a Pils, I bought it because it was in interesting design. I never did feel very comfortable shaving with it because of the aforementioned smooth handle. I've kept mine because it is an interesting design and I am cursed with a collector's mindset.

But there is absolutely no way I would trade my Wolfman for one.

In fact, I don't think I would trade my Wolfman for anything...

Last edited:
For me it fits right between my ATT Brass and the AS-D2. The ATT is still a razor I like to keep very clear about what I'm doing, the AS-D2 I can be very sloppy, or, even with concentration only gain a DFS without more pressure than I care to use. The PILS does the job remarkably well, feels good, and so far has worked with the way I handle it with not one slip.

Right now I'd put money on an ATT S1, iKon DLC Slant, ATT Slant, and the PILS. All are with in a couple of years old and seem to be just fine in rotation. I'll let you know if the PILS ages worse than any of the others. Certainly though, it's no different than ordering any of the 200+$ razors, some you'll like, some... eh; not so much. ( Haven't had the pleasure of the Wolfman and likely wont go looking. As it is, I've got a strong governor feed back loop going - hell it's even slowing me down on soaps, aftershaves, blades, and ceramic utensils! We'll see how long that blessing lasts.

I've a Pils 113 (hex handle)version which has the best for grip of the Pils. I agree with some of the previous posts that it's each to their own when it comes to the Pils.
It actually shaves quite well but usually takes a few shaves to get used to the shave approach, weight (top heavy) and blade angle. This razor is for the shaver who prefers concentrating on using one razor and not rotating often. I have an ATT now, but the Pils was a regular. - you get used to it and develop a connection with the razor as you shave with it daily. I don't rotate razors regularly I tend to stick with one for weeks. Whenever I go back to the Pils it takes me a couple of shaves to get use to it again. I'd then shave with it for a month.
It's a milder razor, and so not suited in my opinion for those with coarse tougher hair. However, remember, that being mild is NOT a negative. It's extremely rare to nick myself with the Pils and all techniques can be applied without a fear of drawing blood - including shaving against the grain under the nose with such a large razor head. You can get bbs shaves once you know the shave angle and after about three shaves I truly then get to appreciate the Pils and don't want to swap back to the ATT or my Mergress or my Merkur slant, or Ikon slant...gotta get round to acquiring Wolfman some day.
If I recall, the 113 is a stainless steel head and nickel handle, methinks. A few years ago, it was my main, when I was into weighted razors, and I've not had any issues with rust or staining. But I'm also a collector and so can still appreciate it in my collection.

Here my take....it is definitely a unique razor. Not neccesarily one you want to use everyday. It is not overly aggressive, but very efficient with multiple days growth. It is however the most unforgiving razor i've used. It is my go to razor with two+ days of growth. Nothing else even compares.

1-Hobel.JPG 2-Set.JPG 4-Dachszupf.JPG
For me the 101NE (full steel) is "the best" I’ve used. But what others have mentioned, it was slippery, difficult to hold at the thin part and the brush BLACK BADGER 21MM was of very poor hair-quality for the price.

I’ve “designed a German modification” for “big hands” and changed the head of the brush to 23 mm SILVERTIP BADGER in a German traditional manufacture (MUEHLE) for EUR 70 (no problems, now without the plastic ring for 21 mm) and covered the razor with 34 silicone rings 9x2 mm and the brush with 11 rubber rings 30x2 mm.
The brush I covered only for symmetry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom