What's new

Technique question

I broke out my prosterity wedge tonight to try something different. I have only used it a couple times actually. I have been using a brandt's best I got from Larry with overall great results (I only have maybe 30-40 shaves with it but I can get great shaves with patience) but this prosperity has been...different.

My problem is that it kind of wants to stick to my face when I draw it across my skin. I ended with smooth shave but the experience wasn't good. I constantly trying to readjust.

Am I lowering the spine to close to my cheek? I'm attaching a pic of the blade's grind as well. It isn't near as hollow as the Brandt's Best...is that what is throwing me off?

proxy.php

proxy.php

Hey Mush, I am sure someone with more experience will come along but I can tell you from my experiences that shaving with a full wedge vs a full hollow is...different. I have an old Marx & Co quarter hollow shoulder less hunk of steel and it shaves very different than my Boker full hollow silver steel. The full hollow has more flex and the optimal angle is different than the Marx. Not sure what you mean by you got a smooth shave but a bad experience? Are you talking razor burn? I would say that you should cut your angle, spine closer to your face, rather than having a steeper angle.

Sounds like you're shaving with a super close angle. That's great for hollowed blades, but can be a bit tricky with a wedge. Try raising the spin just a bit, or perhaps just a bit slicker lather?

Sounds like you're shaving with a super close angle. That's great for hollowed blades, but can be a bit tricky with a wedge. Try raising the spin just a bit, or perhaps just a bit slicker lather?

+1 Straight razors want a wetter lather than DE. That thick creamy yogurt-like meringue is not conducive to a good straight shave.

I have yet to try a wedge out, but from what I read you may need slightly more water in your lather for a wedge than a full hollow.

Hey Mush, I am sure someone with more experience will come along but I can tell you from my experiences that shaving with a full wedge vs a full hollow is...different. I have an old Marx & Co quarter hollow shoulder less hunk of steel and it shaves very different than my Boker full hollow silver steel. The full hollow has more flex and the optimal angle is different than the Marx. Not sure what you mean by you got a smooth shave but a bad experience? Are you talking razor burn? I would say that you should cut your angle, spine closer to your face, rather than having a steeper angle.
Not so much burn. I didn't enjoy how the razor didn't seem to want to glide across the skin like my other razor. I will work on using a different angle.

I love wedges and find that I do move the spine slightly further from my face than with a full hollow, often the spine is thicker on a wedge than a full hollow and if I remember correctly the approximate guide is two spine widths from the face.

I love wedges and find that I do move the spine slightly further from my face than with a full hollow, often the spine is thicker on a wedge than a full hollow and if I remember correctly the approximate guide is two spine widths from the face.
Good information. I will apply this and see if it helps.

Top Bottom