What's new

Tea versus teabag

I'm a fan of loose tea. I find you get a better cup on average.
I've had some really great tea in bags though.

Interesting topic!

What are the better strainers for loose leaf tea? Or, are those larger loose Chinese strainer cups on the right track? Are any of those smaller strainers any good? Are HIC, Harold Import Company, tea accessories really worth the high price?

TIA,
Sid

[MENTION=113520]Old north[/MENTION] what is your recommended source of tea? I am relatively new here and have only found the Disneyland version of loose tea you find at snobish shopping centers, or very nice, super expensive, not for every day tea. Anything in the middle?
Note: I tried Davidson organic and it was a big let down.

Wife got a set of loose teas for a Christmas gift.

In a kitchen utility drawer, we finally came up with a spring-loaded tea ball thing, which we both deny buying. It worked lousy, so I ordered a higher-end tea strainer ... Now, can't wait to dive into loose tea.

Have one of those pressed-formed bricks stashed away somewhere ... Heard where peppers hoard those; 20-year shelf life or something.

Is there a Beginner's Guide to Loose Tea?

AA
The BnB Tea FAQ may provide some assistance. The type of tea will largely dictate the best way to brew.

For single cup, hot tea brewing I like to use one of those stainless steel infusers that sit deep down into cup, providing a lot of space for the tea leaves to contact the water. Others like to use a Gaiwan.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The BnB Tea FAQ may provide some assistance. The type of tea will largely dictate the best way to brew.

For single cup, hot tea brewing I like to use one of those stainless steel infusers that sit deep down into cup, providing a lot of space for the tea leaves to contact the water. Others like to use a Gaiwan.

Thanks. This is the strainer I got; it came yesterday:

$$_1.JPG
The lid goes on to keep heat in, then serves as a saucer to keep the tea for a second brewing.

AA

Enter the world of fine loose leaf teas at your own risk. It's like the world of wet shaving, and will get addictive and pricey before you know it.

This is a great benefit of working in a diverse environment. The Chinese folks in my office have introduced me to a world of great tea, none of it comes in a teabag. Most of them just throw leaves straight into a cup of hot water. Good good good stuff.

An idea:

I will follow, but perhaps those that care to, could post (and I will confess out loud that I do not speak in proper tea terms) a picture of their pot, infuser-steeping device, tea type or variety and cup or such other accouterments used in normal tea taking.

The game is afoot

Top Bottom