What's new

Taobao here we come !

Just a note: One of the things that I'm hoping to accomplish here is to prove to myself and you folks that this TaoBao thing can work for us. A proof-of-concept for the skeptic (myself for instance). Hopefully, after this group buy, we'll all be more comfortable trying to use these TaoBao middleman companies to get better and less costly tea.

If this group buy seems like a bad idea then speak up, please! I'll probably be placing an order for myself regardless. I don't want to pressure anyone into spending more than they'd like but I can't think of another way to do this that is better. Ideas are being accepted :001_smile

Depending on the details, I'd be interested.

I was out for a few days, so sorry about the delay in getting back to you - go for it.

I made a joke about not wanting to buy from a vendor whose translated name may mean "My heart will always goes on" - I then had a very kind e-mail from a Guangzhou-bsaed friend who mentioned that this vendor is on the "black-list" in Guaagzhou for selling dodgy Zhongcha. I was just about to buy a tong of the 2001 Dingxing from them, so it was timely advice. It just goes to show, Celine Dion / Titanic is the kiss of death. Something for us all to learn.

I've looked at other sources for this cake, and there are many - they're all about 260 RMB, instead of the original 190 RMB. This is probably healthy, indicating that the market price is actually a bit higher.

However, this does mean that I will be making a test order of a single 2001 Dingxing cake from one of the other vendors, in order to verify the quality of the goods before buying a tong myself.

So, you might want to take the above under advisement. Note that the 2001 Dingxing I had from "999 Woxin" was great. However, I think it wise not to risk a whole tong from a vendor that has been mentioned as potentially dodgy.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Just a note: One of the things that I'm hoping to accomplish here is to prove to myself and you folks that this TaoBao thing can work for us. A proof-of-concept for the skeptic (myself for instance). Hopefully, after this group buy, we'll all be more comfortable trying to use these TaoBao middleman companies to get better and less costly tea.

If this group buy seems like a bad idea then speak up, please! I'll probably be placing an order for myself regardless. I don't want to pressure anyone into spending more than they'd like but I can't think of another way to do this that is better. Ideas are being accepted :001_smile

I agree with this, I am highly interested because it would make for a nice "stepping stone" to move out into the bigger market. Taobao will give us better tea at better prices. The thing is I'm off to college shortly so time is of the essence. Im not trying to rush anyone here by any means, considering I can wait another week or so. However if it does fall through I would like to know sooner rather then later as I will need to make my own purchase.

I made a joke about not wanting to buy from a vendor whose translated name may mean "My heart will always goes on" - I then had a very kind e-mail from a Guangzhou-bsaed friend who mentioned that this vendor is on the "black-list" in Guaagzhou for selling dodgy Zhongcha. I was just about to buy a tong of the 2001 Dingxing from them, so it was timely advice. It just goes to show, Celine Dion / Titanic is the kiss of death. Something for us all to learn.

I've looked at other sources for this cake, and there are many - they're all about 260 RMB, instead of the original 190 RMB. This is probably healthy, indicating that the market price is actually a bit higher.

However, this does mean that I will be making a test order of a single 2001 Dingxing cake from one of the other vendors, in order to verify the quality of the goods before buying a tong myself.

So, you might want to take the above under advisement. Note that the 2001 Dingxing I had from "999 Woxin" was great. However, I think it wise not to risk a whole tong from a vendor that has been mentioned as potentially dodgy.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Thanks for the head's up. We may have to adjust the selection accordingly. That does sound like a situation ripe for a bait and switch - awesome single cake / sub-par tong :mad3:!

PS: will have to mention to my SWMBO about the mutually exclusive qualities of Titanic and Taobao :lol:!

[Hobbes] I then had a very kind e-mail from a Guangzhou-bsaed friend who mentioned that this vendor is on the "black-list" in Guaagzhou for selling dodgy Zhongcha.\

[grasshopper] Hobbes--to clarify for myself--Is the vendor black-listed in Guangzhou the same as the vendor (999 Wo Xin Yijiu) who sent you the cake you praised in the earlier post? Based on your praise, I ordered some '01 DingXing cakes through TaobaoNow (an agent you employed). This becomes a real nail-biter. ~grasshopper

I made a joke about not wanting to buy from a vendor whose translated name may mean "My heart will always goes on" - I then had a very kind e-mail from a Guangzhou-bsaed friend who mentioned that this vendor is on the "black-list" in Guaagzhou for selling dodgy Zhongcha.

When in to have a peak, this is in fact a fake version of the 98 menghai wild arbor http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=2516538434

I do have an old post of some pics for reference.
http://puerhcollection.blogspot.com/2009/07/tong-of-7-thick-sheng-cake.html

Hobbes--to clarify for myself--Is the vendor black-listed in Guangzhou the same as the vendor (999 Wo Xin Yijiu) who sent you the cake you praised in the earlier post? Based on your praise, I ordered some '01 DingXing cakes through TaobaoNow (an agent you employed). This becomes a real nail-biter. ~grasshopper

Dear 'Hopper,

Yes, that's the vendor in question. MarshalN also ordered his 2001 Dingxing cakes from 999 Wo Xin Yijiu (which is where I obtained the original recommendation), and had the same good results that I did. I don't think it's cause for concern, to be honest. In fact, I woke up just now considering that it might be worth my while to buy a tong at 190 RMB (@ 1330 RMB / tong) from 999 Wo Xin Yijiu, rather than a tong from elsewhere at 260 RMB (@ 1820 RMB / tong). It's a risk vs. reward trade-off! I'll ponder it a little more. It's nice to save 500 RMB on a tong, and the cakes we've had so far seem very good... :ihih:

When in to have a peak, this is in fact a fake version of the 98 menghai wild arbor http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=2516538434

Monsieur, very interesting. Is there something in the 999 Wo Xin Yijiu product listing that indicates its fake status to you? I must admit that their product looked rather like that which you were discussing on your blog! The price is rather alarming, however, being RMB 190 for a supposed 1998 cake.

P.s. Did you enjoy the tea? I might have to perform a Taobao search for it, if so.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Last edited:
PS: will have to mention to my SWMBO about the mutually exclusive qualities of Titanic and Taobao :lol:!

We have a distinct "No Celine Dion / Titanic" rule in our house. It makes for one step closer to marital bliss. On the downside, I had to give up asking SWMBO to sit through Shakespeare productions and Alien vs. Predator*, but it was a worthy sacrifice.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

*I remain convinced that Alien vs. Predator is the long-lost final play by Shakespeare, adapted for the big screen.

Last edited:

I just did a quick search, in fact there are lot in TB:
http://search.taobao.com/search?cat...%B2%E8%D2%B0%C9%FA%C7%C7%C4%BE&source=search1

and the price vary a lot!

Buying from TB is always risky, but the reward can be great as well.

Monsieur, very interesting. Is there something in the 999 Wo Xin Yijiu product listing that indicates its fake status to you? I must admit that their product looked rather like that which you were discussing on your blog! The price is rather alarming, however, being RMB 190 for a supposed 1998 cake.

P.s. Did you enjoy the tea? I might have to perform a Taobao search for it, if so.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

After going through briefly, it seems that some vendors have fake and real items listed altogether so it might or might not be that all their items are fake.
As for this tea, I'll send you some to try next time. Don't bother with taobao for this tea. (refer below)

I just did a quick search, in fact there are lot in TB:
http://search.taobao.com/search?cat...%B2%E8%D2%B0%C9%FA%C7%C7%C4%BE&source=search1

and the price vary a lot!

Buying from TB is always risky, but the reward can be great as well.

Just browsing through those pics, all of them listed in the link above are not authentic. The same for this piece @ rmb1580 http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=53131171

In any case for any tea, I think the best would be to try a cake first before getting more of them. So at least you know if you like it or otherwise which is the most important anyway.

After going through briefly, it seems that some vendors have fake and real items listed altogether so it might or might not be that all their items are fake.
As for this tea, I'll send you some to try next time. Don't bother with taobao for this tea. (refer below)

Most kind - that's a lot of dodgy tea to navigate through! I try to avoid buying old cakes from Taobao for precisely this reason.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Most kind - that's a lot of dodgy tea to navigate through! I try to avoid buying old cakes from Taobao for precisely this reason.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Good advice, Thats a fair strat! I've a friend who got something different from whats being listed. Same cake but different piece from the one pictured which turned out to be either a fake or a badly stored bad tea.
Lucky for him, refund was given if you leave a 'thumbs up' feedback :cursing:

i have lived in s.e.asia for a while and drink alot of tea,IMHO,
You may want to contact Scott Wilson who run's "Yunnan Sourcing".He's been in China a long time and know's good product.:drool:

i have lived in s.e.asia for a while and drink alot of tea,IMHO,
You may want to contact Scott Wilson who run's "Yunnan Sourcing".He's been in China a long time and know's good product.:drool:

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've given Yunnan Sourcing several thousand GBP since 2005 - his store is a favourite among Western drinkers :)

Taobao satisfies a slightly different need to that catered for by YS, I would say. There's room for both. That said, I tend to only buy the YS-specific cakes (Ruicaoxiang, etc.) from YS these days, and get the rest from Taobao or from friends.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Just browsing through those pics, all of them listed in the link above are not authentic. The same for this piece @ rmb1580 http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=53131171

Oh, my word!

Well, for expensive aged stuff, may be better get it from Nada, however, I notice he has just removed the Dingxing from his Web site.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've given Yunnan Sourcing several thousand GBP since 2005 - his store is a favourite among Western drinkers :)

Taobao satisfies a slightly different need to that catered for by YS, I would say. There's room for both. That said, I tend to only buy the YS-specific cakes (Ruicaoxiang, etc.) from YS these days, and get the rest from Taobao or from friends.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

SEVERAL THOUSAND GBP !!!.:w00t: The donation I gave to YS pale into insignificant!

SEVERAL THOUSAND GBP !!!.:w00t: The donation I gave to YS pale into insignificant!

That's over five years, though - not too much per annum :ihih:

These days, it mostly goes to friends kind enough to buy locally on my behalf, or from Taobao, or from the annual trip to Maliandao.

You should come back to Oxford for a session sometime! It would be great to see you again :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Last edited:
That's over five years, though - not too much per annum :ihih:

These days, it mostly goes to friends kind enough to buy locally on my behalf, or from Taobao, or from the annual trip to Maliandao.

You should come back to Oxford for a session sometime! It would be great to see you again :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Thank you very much for the invitation, will send you an email to arrange the time when some stuff I ordered from HK arrive. I will bring it along see what you think of it.

Thank you very much for the invitation, will send you an email to arrange the time when some stuff I ordered from HK arrive. I will bring it along see what you think of it.

Great! Our house is a bit of a warzone at the moment, but we have the tea-table in action :)

See you soon,

Hobbes

Top Bottom