What's new

Sweet, Sweet Georgia

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
In the world of hair pomades Sweet Georgia Brown is a legendary name. Along with Murray's, Royal Crown and Brylcreem this is one of the four magnificent brands that has literally built the history of hair dressing pomades. Established in New York in 1934 Sweet Georgia Brown was part of a company called "Valmor Products" and since its foundation, and though all the 1940's and 1950's, it became an extremely popular pomade among ladies and gentlemen of all ages and all social classes. It quickly gained a very high reputation for being a reliable and versatile product, able to style any kind of hair and to satisfy the most discerning consumer.

However, at the end of the 1960's, hair pomades started to lose their hegemony and were all victims of a slow and inescapable decline. Even the mighty and renowned SGB fell in disgrace and suddendly disappeared from the market.

Fortunately, that was only the end of a chapter, not the end of the whole story. With the Renaissance of hair pomades Sweet Georgia Brown was revived and in 2006 brought back to light by Murray. The past glory, actually never lost, was here again.

But how to really explain so much success? Why so much love? In my opinion there's not one single reason, but a moltitudine of motivations. First and foremost, the quality and performance. SGB has a very simple formula, basically only made of petroleum, wax and perfume. No chemicals, no additives and no preservatives. But it's a recipe so good that has been kept unvaried over the years and it's so effective that does everything a superior performing pomade should do, at the highest level. Soft and pliable it's easy to apply, style and comb and just provides wonderful hold and wonderful shine. Secondly, the scent. Oh, the scent... A delicious, sweet fruity/candied fragrance combined with pronounced notes of baby powder and baby oil. Something old and obsolete? No, something timeless and refined. Thirdly, the packaging. A nostalgic, vintage style metal tin that is not only beautiful to look at, but it's also beautiful to hold. Once in your hands you know you are proudly keeping a piece of pomade history and an authentic hair dressing pomade of the first Golden Age. Great things never change and there's no better test of greatness than standing the test of time.

My humble tribute to Sweet Georgia Brown.

$SGB.jpg

Last edited:
Well spoken, I'm a bit of a pomade novice as all of my experience has been with Layrite, Dax, Murrays, and Crew (Layrite being my all-time favorite, love the smell). But its great to learn about Sweet Georgia Brown, and when my layrite runs out I will be replacing it with that Sweet, Sweet Georgia!

Thank you Marco for the nice write up. Sweet Georgia Brown is on my short list of oil based pomades to try. Great photo as well.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Todd, here is the ingredients list for both Sweet Georgia Brown pomades.

Red: Petrolatum, Microcystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina), Fragrance (Parfum), Yellow 5, Yellow 11

Blue: Petrolatum, Microcystalline Wax (Cera Microcristallina), Lanolin Wax, Lanolin, Fragrance (Parfum)

Last edited:
Marco, thanks for a great write up. I will be picking up a tin very soon. What am curious about now is the difference between the red and the blue variety. I see the ingredient lists that you posted. Are you able to discuss any differences you noticed between them?

Thanks

strop

Now half as wise
Thanks for posting the ingredient list Marco. I almost got a tin of the Red, but was concerned about their warning that it may cause a yellow tint to white hair. It appears the Blue does not have the yellow dye, so this will definitely get ordered sooner or later.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, thanks for a great write up. I will be picking up a tin very soon. What am curious about now is the difference between the red and the blue variety. I see the ingredient lists that you posted. Are you able to discuss any differences you noticed between them?

Thanks

Justin, here you are.

The Red is the Original pomade. It has a very soft consistency and, therefore, is super easy to scoop out, apply and comb. Hold is a great Medium, definitely not weak but not strong either. Shine is very high, gives a high gloss look. Scent is a sweet fruity/candied mix with robust notes of baby powder and baby oil, to me very classic and Old School.

The Blue is the Heavy pomade. Consistency is not as soft as the Red, but still very pliable and easy to work, pretty much like the Goon Grease by Lockhart's. One trick to make it even softer is to work it for a few seconds into the palms of the hands to produce heat and smear it well before application. Hold is great, definitely a Strong and shine is a good medium. Scent is EXACTLY the same as the Red.

The main difference between the two is the wax content, the Blue just has more wax. This explains the slightly harder consistency, stronger hold and lower shine (but still high) compared to the Red.

In the last two days I'm enjoying using both Blue and Red in a combo: Blue as a base for the strong hold and Red as a cover for the high gloss finish. Results are impressive.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thanks for posting the ingredient list Marco. I almost got a tin of the Red, but was concerned about their warning that it may cause a yellow tint to white hair. It appears the Blue does not have the yellow dye, so this will definitely get ordered sooner or later.

Mark, I think getting the Blue is a wise choice in your case. They probably wanted the two pomades to look and smell exactly the same. The Blue has a natural yellow colour because of the lanolin, while the Red being without lanolin needed a dye to become yellow.

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gents, one funny thing is happenning with Paolo, my Master Barber, when discussing about pomades. Usually, it's the barber to suggest a certain brand to his customers, while in my case it's me to suggest a certain brand to my barber! Sweet Georgia Brown will be the second one he will be stocking because of my indications, after Admiral. Paolo certainly knows how passionate I am on the topic and is always happy to hear my thoughts, but now I'm starting to believe that he does seriously trust my opinion! In the case of SGB he even asked me to prepare a short write-up for his shop, of course different from the one posted here on B&B. My friends, we are talking about a famous barbershop here in Rome, where you won't get an appointment before an entire week (sometimes two) because it will be all already fully booked!

Marco, that is great news. When we still had a strong barbering tradition here in the States it would have been much the same. He who dared to suggest things to the barber should take some caution doing it! I wish I could read and write Italian, I would ask you for a copy. Well done, sir!

strop

Now half as wise
Marco, if I ever, no when, I make it to Rome, I will be sure to not get a haircut before I come!

I seem to remember using red SGB in the '90s as a teenager. Does that square with the production years? These days I just cut my hair at 3mm every other week. That being said, what do you use to wash that stuff out? As I recall, I had to use industrial strength detergents, and even after that I could still grease up a V8 engine block by rubbing my hair over it. Come to think if it, that might explain my premature hair loss...

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, that is great news. When we still had a strong barbering tradition here in the States it would have been much the same. He who dared to suggest things to the barber should take some caution doing it! I wish I could read and write Italian, I would ask you for a copy. Well done, sir!

Todd, what if we make an exchange on a par: I'll teach you some Italian and you'll help me out with my English? :001_smile

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, if I ever, no when, I make it to Rome, I will be sure to not get a haircut before I come!

Mark, I think you would really enjoy that barbershop a lot. Paolo is also a Master on beards and staches and I know you have a great handlebar!

Top Bottom