What's new

Suspenders anyone?

That was very funny, enjoyable differences.

Only part I would question is:

Pants (aka knickers) in UK = underwear (aka panties) in USA

Men wouldn't call their underwear knickers, only women wear knickers, maybe they might call them pants or less commonly panties.

Men would call the garments worn under trousers to be underwear or more specifically, boxers, Y fronts or briefs.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I was able to get 7 or 8 pairs of suspenders for free. I reckon that people don't like to wear them.

I wear them whenever I feel like it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It does get a bit confusing sometimes, but if I've got it right.....

Braces in USA = braces UK (only if worn to straighten teeth)
Braces in UK = suspenders in USA
Suspenders in USA = braces in UK (if used to keep trousers up)
Suspenders in UK = something used by ladies to keep stockings up / very occasionally used by men to keep socks up
Stockings in UK = hose in USA
Tights in UK = pantyhose in USA

Pants in USA = trousers in UK

So if I've got it right.....

Just don't try to tell an Englishman about your fanny pack.

Hosentraegern
Suspenders
Braces
I started wearing them about 3+ years ago and won't go a day without them.
My body is perfect for them... since I have a big belly, no hips, no butt... They hold my pants comfortably up and I no longer walk on the back of the cuffs.
I do have to wear a belt with them, however, at work. I wear the belt to hang the phone holster on and because our dress code requires a belt... unfashionable but necessary.
Although I've bought a few pair on the economy, on-line at www.suspenders.com is the only place I've found them that truly work. Like someone else said, the doubleups are very cool and my doubleups with the American Flag pattern are my favorite.
My boss, however, has no sense of fun or fashion or patriotism so I have to wear black ones at work.

I cringe when my friends from California are here on vacation and call to their 4 year old daughter, 'Hey get your fanny over here'.

Not good.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It does get a bit confusing sometimes, but if I've got it right.....

Braces in USA = braces UK (only if worn to straighten teeth)
Braces in UK = suspenders in USA
Suspenders in USA = braces in UK (if used to keep trousers up)
Suspenders in UK = something used by ladies to keep stockings up / very occasionally used by men to keep socks up
Stockings in UK = hose in USA
Tights in UK = pantyhose in USA

Pants in USA = trousers in UK

So if I've got it right.....
A woman wears suspenders around her waist to keep her stockings/hose up
A man wears suspenders over his shoulders and attached to his waistband to keep his pants/trousers up
And
A man also sometimes wears suspenders around the calves of his legs to keep his socks up
But
If a man wears suspenders anywhere else - what he does in the privacy of his own home is his business !! lol

And on a lighter note, braces/suspenders in Germany are known as.......
Hosenträgern
(Cool sounding word)

The ones I bought recently are great - they're easy to adjust, got a lot of extra slack in reserve, nice and stretchy, the 4 clips have teeth that look a bit like the ones on croc clips, and are virtually slip proof
The braided elastic looks cool too
HOSENTRÄGER eXtra stark mit Doppel-Clip 4cm Breit für Hosen Jeans °NEU° | eBay
proxy.php
You should pop into the galoshes thread :)

Do your trousers have belt loops? Do you have any problem with waist band roll? I take it the brace buttons are on the inside of the waist band? Thanks, cb!

Suit pants do not have belt loops but my dress slacks do since I do not always wear a tie with them. No, never had a problem with waist band roll and yes, buttons are inside the pants waistband.

<No, never had a problem with waist band roll and yes, buttons are inside the pants waistband.>

I am guessing you are thinner than I am and that has something to do with it! I thought the HoldUp Suspender Co. folks were really onto something in promoting their "Double-Ups" style as eliminating the waist band rollover problem. See http://mysuspenders.com/dblup_rollover.jpg (Not my waist! A HoldUp photo. <g>)

<No, never had a problem with waist band roll and yes, buttons are inside the pants waistband.>

I am guessing you are thinner than I am and that has something to do with it! I thought the HoldUp Suspender Co. folks were really onto something in promoting their "Double-Ups" style as eliminating the waist band rollover problem. See http://mysuspenders.com/dblup_rollover.jpg (Not my waist! A HoldUp photo. <g>)

I have a 35 inch waist and most of my suit pants are a tiny bit large to allow for expansion when I sit down. Also, my braces have the elastic tips rather than the leather which allows for a little more give.

proxy.php

I have finally made the switch. No more belts for me. Suspenders only. I realize a belt is quite uncomfortable...at least for me. Suspenders are more comfortable.

I wear suspenders with the clips about once a week. They're reasonably fashionable, and way more comfortable. I have no hips to speak of, so I have to really cinch up the belt to keep my pants up. I'd like to buy the pants with the buttons and do it properly, but most of the stores I frequent only have belt loops on the slacks they sell.

Top Bottom