What's new

Suspenders anyone?

I have two pairs of suspenders...but I confess, I have not worn them yet. As much as I like old school fashion style, I find them to be out of fashion...for me. Anyone have any thoughts to share? What are your style rules for suspenders?

Used to wear them some in the 80's, but not in past 25+ years. If you do wear them. wear the button-in style, NOT the clip-ons.

Reactions: MFS
I wear them a few days every week. With a sports coat or sweater they are not visible.

I find they are much more comfortable than wearing a belt. I have sewn on buttons to some of my trousers.

I used to hate them when I was at school 30+ years ago
We called them "Rock On Tommies" because "Cannon & Ball" was popular on TV, and Bobby Ball used to stretch his braces and use the catchphrase "Rock On Tommy"
Unfortunately stretching braces and letting them snap was a very popular schoolboy trend - along with stamping on new shoes to "christen" them

I only just started wearing them again last week
I'm waiting for hip replacement surgery, so I have to walk with crutches
I've put on a fair bit of weight recently and wearing a belt just exaggerated the size of my belly
Dad gave me a NOS pair of black X-shape snap on braces - I find them comfortable to wear, they make me look thinner, I no longer have to keep adjusting my jeans - and top of the list, if the snap fasteners damage my waistband, who cares, because the only sort of trousers that I own are all cheap pairs of Chinese made jeans

A navy blue leather/elastic 4-clip pair just arrived this morning from Germany, they fit perfectly and the extra width is very comfortable.
I've also ordered a beige leather/elastic 4-clip pair and a leather/elastic black/white striped 6-clip pair from China

As a bonus - I think they look cool with jeans and a denim shirt

Last edited:
I really like suspenders on belts for utilitarian purposes, not looks, but casually I usually wear clip-ons and I wear them under a shirt not over. I like the really like the Holdup brand in general, but their double-up clip-ons in particular. www.holdup.com Their clips are far superior to any others I have ever used, and the double-ups look like braces that are attached with buttons at the waist band without requiring buttons on the trousers and without the problem of the waist band on trousers rolling forward I always seem to get with braces attached to interior waist band buttons. Do others have the problem of button suspenders causing the waist band to roll? I suspect that back in the day the buttons were on the outside of the waist band and were covered by a waistcoat/vest anyway.

Most often with a suit I still wear a belt, though. (I really need to lose some weight!)

I really like suspenders on belts for utilitarian purposes, not looks, but casually I usually wear clip-ons and I wear them under a shirt not over. I like the really like the Holdup brand in general, but their double-up clip-ons in particular. www.holdup.com Their clips are far superior to any others I have ever used, and the double-ups look like braces that are attached with buttons at the waist band without requiring buttons on the trousers and without the problem of the waist band on trousers rolling forward I always seem to get with braces attached to interior waist band buttons. Do others have the problem of button suspenders causing the waist band to roll? I suspect that back in the day the buttons were on the outside of the waist band and were covered by a waistcoat/vest anyway.

Most often with a suit I still wear a belt, though. (I really need to lose some weight!)

One of the styles on holdup.com look to be a very similar idea to one of the pairs I've got on order from China
BDXJ2521 Men's Unisex Casual Style Striped Adjustable Clip-on Suspenders Braces | eBay
proxy.php

The other pair I ordered look quite retro too
New Adjustable Mens Solid Beige Suspenders 3.5 CM Width Clip-on Braces BD601 | eBay
proxy.php

<One of the styles on holdup.com look to be a very similar idea to one of the pairs I've got on order from China
BDXJ2521 Men's Unisex Casual Style Striped Adjustable Clip-on Suspenders Braces | eBay>

They sure do!!! Do you know if the ones you are ordering have the perceiving pin in the clip that the HoldUps do? I think that is supposedly a HoldUps patent, and I am tremendously impressed with how well it works. As well as the double attachments that these clearly have that make them look like button-on braces, only better working ones.

www.holdup.com Their clips are far superior to any others I have ever used, and the double-ups look like braces that are attached with buttons at the waist band without requiring buttons on the trousers and without the problem of the waist band on trousers rolling forward I always seem to get with braces attached to interior waist band buttons. Do others have the problem of button suspenders causing the waist band to roll? I suspect that back in the day the buttons were on the outside of the waist band and were covered by a waistcoat/vest anyway.
(I really need to lose some weight!)

I believe that there used to be a cloth tab sewn on the inside of the waist, and buttons sewn on to that tab. The braces fastened on to those button, thus the waist band would not roll down.

<One of the styles on holdup.com look to be a very similar idea to one of the pairs I've got on order from China
BDXJ2521 Men's Unisex Casual Style Striped Adjustable Clip-on Suspenders Braces | eBay>

They sure do!!! Do you know if the ones you are ordering have the perceiving pin in the clip that the HoldUps do? I think that is supposedly a HoldUps patent, and I am tremendously impressed with how well it works. As well as the double attachments that these clearly have that make them look like button-on braces, only better working ones.

I'll post a few pics when they arrive - probably in 3 or 4 weeks time knowing the Chinese

All of my suit pants and most of my dress pants have brace buttons. Been wearing braces for a while because I hate the look of belts with a suit and never wear clips because button are cleaner and more refined. Only Albert Thurston braces.

I do occasionally where Perry suspender underneath a shirt or jacket. For the purely practical reason they allow me to carry my S&W M19 4" comfortably for long periods of time.

More to the point of this subforum I subscribe to the philosophy that if the pants have belt loops (e.g. suit pants) then you wear a belt with them. If they don't you wear suspenders (e.g. tuxedos). Except when tradition dictates otherwise (e.g. country dress) or suspenders are more practical.

But in the end wear what you want to wear far to many of us myself included let society dictate how we dress/accessorize, at least to some extent.

All of my suit pants and most of my dress pants have brace buttons. Been wearing braces for a while because I hate the look of belts with a suit and never wear clips because button are cleaner and more refined. Only Albert Thurston braces.

Do your trousers have belt loops? Do you have any problem with waist band roll? I take it the brace buttons are on the inside of the waist band? Thanks, cb!

I got unneccessarily excited then, being English, your suspenders are our braces and only ladies wear suspenders to keep up their stockings.

Yes, confirmed braces wearer and find them so much more conforatble than belts. I bought the wide 2 inch type that clips onto trousers, plus two clips at the back.

The seller said they these were the industrial model, cheeky man.

I got unneccessarily excited then, being English, your suspenders are our braces and only ladies wear suspenders to keep up their stockings.

Yes, confirmed braces wearer and find them so much more conforatble than belts. I bought the wide 2 inch type that clips onto trousers, plus two clips at the back.

The seller said they these were the industrial model, cheeky man.

It does get a bit confusing sometimes, but if I've got it right.....

Braces in USA = braces UK (only if worn to straighten teeth)
Braces in UK = suspenders in USA
Suspenders in USA = braces in UK (if used to keep trousers up)
Suspenders in UK = something used by ladies to keep stockings up / very occasionally used by men to keep socks up
Stockings in UK = hose in USA
Tights in UK = pantyhose in USA

Pants in USA = trousers in UK
Pants (aka knickers) in UK = underwear (aka panties) in USA

So if I've got it right.....
A woman wears suspenders around her waist to keep her stockings/hose up
A man wears suspenders over his shoulders and attached to his waistband to keep his pants/trousers up
And
A man also sometimes wears suspenders around the calves of his legs to keep his socks up
But
If a man wears suspenders anywhere else - what he does in the privacy of his own home is his business !! lol

And on a lighter note, braces/suspenders in Germany are known as.......
Hosenträgern
(Cool sounding word)

The ones I bought recently are great - they're easy to adjust, got a lot of extra slack in reserve, nice and stretchy, the 4 clips have teeth that look a bit like the ones on croc clips, and are virtually slip proof
The braided elastic looks cool too
HOSENTRÄGER eXtra stark mit Doppel-Clip 4cm Breit für Hosen Jeans °NEU° | eBay
proxy.php

Top Bottom