What's new

Supply Provision Stainless Steel Injector Tour/Pass-Around

First, major thank you to Poonjaji for this passaround! It's great to try this and not have to buy it blindly!

Received the razor Saturday evening and tried it out before work (I work nights).

- Soap: Bufflehead Updog
- Brush: Semogue 620
- Blade: Personna (0)
- Razor: Supply Provisions Single Edge with three dot plate

I must say, I find this razor very visually appealing. The finish looks great and the design makes it look sleek. My only nit would be that I wish the different plate dots were more obvious, perhaps colored or something.

In hand, this is a very hefty razor, one of the heaviest, if not the heaviest, that I've handled. I'm a bit on the fence about the weight, mostly because of how my hand gravitated to holding it lower on the grip, feeling like it could slide right out of my hand when rinsing. It looks like the machining on the head where it covers the blade was a bit off when it was made..? It seems to have a bit of a "smile" at the ends and perhaps a little uneven in the middle.

Changing the plates is fairly easy and straightforward; remove the screw, remove the plate, drop another one on and screw it down. I do have large hands so loosening/tightening the screw wasn't overly easy but I could do it easily enough. One has to be aware that the screw is probably easy to drop and lose, especially if changing plates by the sink. I've heard that Supply will sell the screws at cost but it'd be nice to see them for sale on the website without having to ask since it'd be a good reminder to pick up spares before you wind up needing them.

Once the plate is screwed down, I did notice a small bit of play in the plate, allowing it to move very slightly. I'm not sure if this is part of the V1 problem or not. At any rate, it was enough to allow a fingernail to slide the blade out even when the screw was tight.

Loading the razor with a fresh blade went a little weird. At first, the new blade started sliding in sideways over the existing blade and poking out over the guard. Second try, it started to slide in perfectly except it was going over the old blade (this is a known issue with the V1) On the third try, it lined up perfectly and ejected the old blade.

I never expect a perfect shave when using a razor for the first time as it can take a few times to find the perfect angle. While I can get a two pass BBS shave on some of my vintage injectors, this one needed a third pass to have BBS in most areas but left a very small amount of stubble in a few spots; I can barely feel it and it isn't visible. Hopefully I can dial in the angle in the next few days for a better comparison. It is worth noting that the small head design worked great in tight spots like under the nose and I had no issues there.

Shaving my head, however, was a different story. For some reason, it would shave fine on the sides of the blade and leave hair in the middle of the pass. I literally would be left with a strip of hair after making a pass, like the middle part of the blade didn't come in contact. I can't explain it or fathom why; I don't have little valleys on my head and I've never experienced this before. I could see it happening on the sides of the razor but not the middle. This issue was pretty pronounced and I was left with little "corn rows" all over my head. A second pass (usually not necessary on my head with a vintage injector) did a better job cleaning up but some extra cleanup was still necessary to remove all of the rows that were left behind.

All in all, it was a pretty good first shave. With more use, I'm certain I'd find that sweet spot and get a feel for how to hold the razor without fear of dropping it. I look forward to trying the two dot plate out and seeing how efficient it is.

2/26

- Soap: Barrister & Mann Lavanille
- Brush: Stirling Finest Badger 26x54
- Blade: Personna (0)
- Razor: Supply Provisions Single Edge with two dot plate
- Post: Stirling Soap Co. Unscented balm, Barrister & Mann Lavanille Tonique

Stepped down to the two dot plate today. Still trying to perfect it on the face but two passes nailed it shaving my head. I didn't have any of the issues where the razor wouldn't shave in the middle of the blade like yesterday.

2/28

- Soap: Barrister & Mann Beaudelaire
- Brush: Omega 40033
- Blade: Schick (0)
- Razor: Supply Provisions SE w/ two dot plate

Another round with the two dot plate, only this time with a Schick blade. One pass with it on the head did an acceptable job. I rarely do more than one pass unless necessary because head nicks/weepers take so long to heal and if I can't see them well when shaving...

Three passes and a little touchup did it for my face. No real complaints here about the shave except I find Schick blades to be a little rougher than Personnas.

The weight is less of an issue after using the razor a few times and my hand naturally changes the grip for the pass I'm doing. Both plates perform well with the three dot plate giving blade feel while I can't detect any with the two dot plate.

That polished LE version looks amazing..
And then there's the 20% off coupon (I assume it's for the non-polished). So very tempting...

On a side note, it looks like they'll be making a dopp bag and they've mentioned looking into making their own injector blades. Great to see them constantly striving for more products.

Life hasn't been in the way but here's the past two uses. Aiming to send it out Monday morning.

3/1

- Soap: L'Occitane Cade Rich
- Blade: Schick (2)
- Razor: Supply Provisions SE w/ three dot plate

No issues with the razor today and think I'm finally adjusting to the weight of it. Not sure how I like it for shaving my head as it seems the extra weight could be too much there.

I'm still finding this razor to shave a bit rougher than some of my vintage injectors but it can certainly get the job done.

3/1
- Soap: Tallow + Steel Grog

- Brush: Omega 40033

- Blade: Schick (4) and Personna (5)

- Razor: Supply Provisions Single Edge with three dot plate and Schick I2

Bit of an unofficial grunge match between these two razors. Heading into it, I had my money on the I2 being smoother and more efficient than the Supply Provision razor. My process was to use each razor to shave half of my face, rinse off, check stubble, relather and proceed.

After the first pass, I felt that the SP had a slight advantage in efficiency due to less stubble feel but was slightly less smooth. Both razors seemed neck and neck after the second pass. After a third pass, the SP was slightly more efficient but definitely not as smooth as the I2. Really can't go wrong with either razor.

On a side note, the SP is definitely harder to hold when lather gets on the handle. The little 40033 had some lather slide down onto the handle and it squirted out of my hand at one point and went skydiving across the bathroom. I didn't notice the lather on my hand when I picked up the razor until I felt it slipping out, set it down and rinsed everything off. No issues after that.

3/4

- Soap: Dr. Jon's 13
- Blade: Schick (5)/Personna (4)
- Razor: Supply Provisions SE w/ two dot plate/Schick E2 (made in Canada)

Another grudge match, this time pitting the Supply Provisions razor against one of my favorite injectors, the made in Canada E 2.

Same as before; lather, shave both sides of the face with different razors, rinse off, check efficiency, etc.

In interest of not boring anyone with the details, the SP was a tad more efficient on the first pass, both razors were neck and neck for the second and the SP took the win after the third, being slightly more efficient. The weight of the SP was extremely noticeable when comparing the two razors and I have to take it slower than I do with the Schick, which I can just zip around with.

Mailed the razor off Monday and sent the tracking info.

All in all, this is a very fine razor. Within a week, I was adjusting to the weight of it and getting better shaves than I was with my other injectors.

Thank you again Poonjaji for letting us try it out!!

Dear Gents,
I'm not on the pass around on this SP as I live in Europe and postage, tax makes it unappealing, but I have the SP and shaved with it two times. I ended up using the 2dot plate for a true BBs in 2 passes and corrections. I love the audio as it lets you hear what's going on. The smoothness is unparalleled. I tried the 3dot and I found it even better but it gave me a cut. Maybe it's the Schick I used. I have some Personnas in the mail which I'll be trying next shave. I love this little razor though and I intend to keep on shaving with it. As I'm into this hobby, I like injectors more than SE's as the blade is not as long and I will take more time to shave which only adds to the pleasureThe angle was pretty much intuitive for me as I rode the cap (same as I do with every new razor I try) and it really felt like I was shaving with it for ages. This is how intuitive it felt.

Just bought a Supply razor, my take, the Pella blades with it galled the SS going in and would not load:
proxy.php

Most likely rough edges on blades, had to loosen thumb screw to load then saw damage on inside. I cleaned and oiled all inside surfaces before first load. If I continued to shave with it, would just load from front with it apart.

Razor's weight reduces feed back and the smooth tapered handle wants to slip out of my hand, found I was choking up on it. Felt like it was going to fly out of my hand when going S-N on neck, as mentioned by others. Passable shave, but not as close as I would like, came with middle bar.
Still, one of the secrets to the Schick razors, IMHO. are the serrations on the safety bar, which SP, Pal, and Personna SS models lack. My current fav. 50's Hydro-magic:

proxy.php

These serrations were the precursor to multi blade razors, they help slightly pull out the hair in front of the blade. And, the larger at bottom plastic handle with non-slip grooves keeps the light weight stamped head under good control with ample feed back.

proxy.php

SP is beautiful and may stay in my collection, but missed out on keeping what Schick had already learned so many years ago..
My stable:

proxy.php

Last edited:
I had my first shave yesterday evening. I took a blade from one of the two Schick boxes. It was my first shave so too early to post any impression but it is beautiful razor, very solid. I like the way the blade is loaded directly into the razor (this is first time I use an injector).
One thing I noticed is that once the blade is loaded, the cap and the safety bar seem to be a little misaligned. I did not take any measurement though. I removed the blade, inverted it, tried to play with the cap, the screw, etc., still had the same impression.

Question: what is the brand of the blades in the white box?

Personna, sold by Ted Pella or EMS beside Supply themselves.
My halfs were a tiny bit uneven, but as long as blade is square against safety bar stops, should be fine.

Blades
scroll down to injector.

Supply says first load problems caused by not having a blank in loaded position for first blade as the Schicks always had. They will supply from now on. Or load first blade from front and it will hold halves in alignment for second and subsequent blades.

Thank you for the info.

This evening, second shave and: Yessss! I like this razor!

Yesterday wasn't really a good day to try a new razor (or anything else). Long day, tired, if it wasn't for the SP I would have probably skipped my daily shave. But instead I wanted to give it a try. I did one pass WTG, one XTG, and then I gave up, grabbed another razor to finish the job and go to smoke a cigar. This evening instead it was a real pleasure. I like smooth, mild razors and the SP is a super smooth mild razor. I may even try it with baseplate #1 only, no need to try a more aggressive set up. Maybe it was luck but I had no problems in finding from the beginning the right grip, angle, and pressure (which is practically no pressure). A very nice clean shave.

My used SP didn't have these loading problems and it came without a blade. I inserted the key and loaded the first blade, no problem.

The razor will ship tomorrow. I have really enjoyed it.
I shaved every day since I received it. First two shaves were with base plate #1, the following ones including today with base plate #2.
With #1 the razor si very mild. I had never thought I could say that of a razor, because I like mild razors, but at the end I found that with #1 it is even too mild. I could get a very good shave but I had a lot of work to do to achieve it.
With #2 the razor is not aggressive, but I could feel the blade a little more. I had to switch to Personna because the Schick was too harsh for my taste. I was able to get to BBS without extra work even if I did not find the Personna super sharp. Each time I got little irritation on the area near the jawbone but nothing major and no nicks.
I did not try base plate #3 mainly because I did not think the blades were sharper enough to go more aggressive with the razor. I may be wrong but i think the SP can be an excellent razor if used with the right blade. I have no experience with injector blades so I do not have any idea about what brand would be best.
Honestly the only thing I would improve, is the addition of some texture to the handle. I was holding the razor near the tip of the handle and few times I had to readjust the grip.

Thank you Poonjaji!

Razor arrived safely today. I'm guessing plate 1 will be too mild for me, but that's where I'll start. Stay tuned for reviews. Thanks again for allowing me to participate.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

So, as I mentioned, I started with the mild plate. Wow! You guys weren't kidding when you said mild. I could barely tell I was shaving. Almost no blade feel at all. I used a soap from sudsy soapery that I have dialed in, so no extra variables there. I just went for an easy 2 pass shave, not trying for bbs, just getting a feel for the razor. Unsurprisingly, no nicks or weepers. I think I'd have to try to cut myself on purpose to draw any blood. I'm going to step up the the number 2 plate before I draw any conclusions.
Otherwise, like others have said, it is a nice solid feeling razor. Not sure if I love the handle, but I need a few more shaves. I didn't try to "inject" the blade. I just manually loaded, which is pretty easy to do.
I'll have done more "critical" thoughts after the next shave. I don't want to draw any premature conclusions at this point. But so far, it has more pros than cons in my book.

Good to know. After I work my way through the 3 plates I'll have a better sense of how appealing a more aggressive plate style will be.

Ok, time for a update. I have a couple shaves with plate 2 under my belt now. Definitely a step up from plate 1. Still very smooth and still seems like it would be difficult to cut yourself. The blade feel is still quite mild. But the shave has been just fine. After my second shave with it, it still leaves me desiring a tad bit more aggressiveness. So, on to the third plate. For reference, I use a standard gap wolfman-I would not want anything more aggressive than that and thus far the shaves have been far milder than what I am used to. Again not bad, just milder than I prefer. I'll grab a few shaves with plate 3, post my thoughts and get it sent on. Thanks!

Ok, time for a update. I have a couple shaves with plate 2 under my belt now. Definitely a step up from plate 1. Still very smooth and still seems like it would be difficult to cut yourself. The blade feel is still quite mild. But the shave has been just fine. After my second shave with it, it still leaves me desiring a tad bit more aggressiveness. So, on to the third plate. For reference, I use a standard gap wolfman-I would not want anything more aggressive than that and thus far the shaves have been far milder than what I am used to. Again not bad, just milder than I prefer. I'll grab a few shaves with plate 3, post my thoughts and get it sent on. Thanks!

Your experience mirror mine the aggressive plate is in my opinion just medium on the shick scale. There is a big jump between 2 and 3.

I wish there was a 4 ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am anxiously awaiting for tomorrow. Actually, probably won't shave with it until Friday for the 1st time, but am eager to see if my experience mirrors some others here. I have had my eye on this razor for a while but been skeptical about as well. Only time will tell how it will do... Thanks Michael for letting me be part of this pass around. Until tomorrow!!

Top Bottom