What's new

Super Speed Razors: The Post World War II Shaving Culture in America to 1955

During WW2 there were accounts of Chinese Americans being beaten in the San Francisco Bay area, because they were misidentified as Japanese. Some Chinese citizens put signs in the windows of their homes that read: CHINESE. Hysteria makes people go nuts, and there was plenty of hysteria at that time.

This part of your thread caught my eye and reminded me of an old neighbor:

From 1998-00 I had just graduated from the U and rented a house with two of my college buddies. Our nextdoor neighbor was a jolly old Korean fellow who had a permanent party tent in his front yard with a picnic table beneath it where he was almost always sitting drinking cheap beer (Keystone Light to be exact). His name was Mr. Kim and he immediately became our favorite senior citizen drinking buddy, and his party tent and picnic table became a favorite hangout on weekend afternoons where we'd play cards and drink beer. Mr. Kim was the son of Korean immigrants who worked as agricultural workers sometime in the 1920's.

So during one of our beer-drinking sessions under his party tent, he was talking about being a young man working as a plantation town police officer and telling us all kinds of stories when he mentioned, "then the war came." And this was my chance for a story! I used to love talking with people of that generation--still do, to the extent that I can find any nowadays. I always find it fascinating that everyone at that time was somehow involved in the war effort in any way possible. When meeting old folks, I would always anxiously await the story about what they did during that time period especially if they were in the military. It was also fascinating to find that, contrary to Hollywood films, not every guy with military service was a dogface GI machine-gunning soldier, or glamorous pilot ace, or hardcore sailor. Some people at that time did really mundane military tasks like delivering mail, or driving cargo trucks, or typing letters, etc.

I had to ask, "So, Mr. Kim, what you did during the War?" He said he was a Korean interpreter in the Army. "Huh?" "Korean interpreter??" What did they need Korean interpreters for??? Well according to Mr. Kim, when the allies overran a Japanese base of operation, or captured a vessel, or the like, there was often a contingency of Koreans in the ranks. Koreans, he said, were used as slave labor to do things like build walls, or dig latrines, and other menial tasks. He said there were also Korean soldiers in the Japanese Army that were conscripted into service by the Imperial Japanese. The use of Korean interpreters, he said, was used by the Army as a way to gather intelligence from those Koreans who were enslaved by the Japanese. And he said that most of the Korean POWs were very willing to provide information about the enemy. Because of his specialty, Mr. Kim traveled all over the Pacific Theater but was mostly stationed in Hawaii.

Talk about an untold story of WWII! Mr. Kim has long since passed away. And I wish I could have unraveled a lot more about his time doing what he did. But I was young and easily distracted by beer and his "dirty birdie" stories about various women in his life. What an awesome time that was.

Thanks for your discussion thread.

This part of your thread caught my eye and reminded me of an old neighbor:

From 1998-00 I had just graduated from the U and rented a house with two of my college buddies. Our nextdoor neighbor was a jolly old Korean fellow who had a permanent party tent in his front yard with a picnic table beneath it where he was almost always sitting drinking cheap beer (Keystone Light to be exact). His name was Mr. Kim and he immediately became our favorite senior citizen drinking buddy, and his party tent and picnic table became a favorite hangout on weekend afternoons where we'd play cards and drink beer. Mr. Kim was the son of Korean immigrants who worked as agricultural workers sometime in the 1920's.

So during one of our beer-drinking sessions under his party tent, he was talking about being a young man working as a plantation town police officer and telling us all kinds of stories when he mentioned, "then the war came." And this was my chance for a story! I used to love talking with people of that generation--still do, to the extent that I can find any nowadays. I always find it fascinating that everyone at that time was somehow involved in the war effort in any way possible. When meeting old folks, I would always anxiously await the story about what they did during that time period especially if they were in the military. It was also fascinating to find that, contrary to Hollywood films, not every guy with military service was a dogface GI machine-gunning soldier, or glamorous pilot ace, or hardcore sailor. Some people at that time did really mundane military tasks like delivering mail, or driving cargo trucks, or typing letters, etc.

I had to ask, "So, Mr. Kim, what you did during the War?" He said he was a Korean interpreter in the Army. "Huh?" "Korean interpreter??" What did they need Korean interpreters for??? Well according to Mr. Kim, when the allies overran a Japanese base of operation, or captured a vessel, or the like, there was often a contingency of Koreans in the ranks. Koreans, he said, were used as slave labor to do things like build walls, or dig latrines, and other menial tasks. He said there were also Korean soldiers in the Japanese Army that were conscripted into service by the Imperial Japanese. The use of Korean interpreters, he said, was used by the Army as a way to gather intelligence from those Koreans who were enslaved by the Japanese. And he said that most of the Korean POWs were very willing to provide information about the enemy. Because of his specialty, Mr. Kim traveled all over the Pacific Theater but was mostly stationed in Hawaii.

Talk about an untold story of WWII! Mr. Kim has long since passed away. And I wish I could have unraveled a lot more about his time doing what he did. But I was young and easily distracted by beer and his "dirty birdie" stories about various women in his life. What an awesome time that was.

Thanks for your discussion thread.

Great story. Some of the stories of the prior generations are mind blowing.

Thank you Chango! Great story indeed! I would have thought that the Burma Campaign would have been a time of great need for interpreters, as the primarily British forces faced the Imperial Japanese, State of Burma, the Azad Hind forces of occupied Singapore, Thailand, and the Indian National Army as the belligerents- a diverse bunch indeed. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Road to Rangoon Map.jpg

The end of the War was not just the end of a war, but also the beginning of renewal at all levels in the American society. American was both concerned with picking-up where they left-off, and how they were to proceed. The war did, however, expose the secrets and atrocities witnessed by many, which were not seen by all involved in the conflict, but reported on an unprecedented scale by the growing media. This would eventually begin a tense and dynamic period that affected society on all levels, but to say that it was a sweeping phenomena immediately following the cessation of hostilities is an error. Millions of Americans were coming home from a conflict of unimaginable proportions. This post war period, as it became known, shaped the world as we know it today from an economic, social, and political standpoint; likewise, this time-point was also defined by the horrific war that had preceded it, and the powerful forces that prevailed- principally the remaining super powers, their governments, and the way of life or culture within each of those countries. This of course is a broad simplification, as Americans returning from the conflict for the most part, wanted to resume the life that was familiar to them, or start a new life with the families they left behind.

During the post war period, the energies of two fundamentally and diametrically opposed ideologies would collide. Further, these ideologies; Communism and Democracy, would also be influenced by one advancement in science- the nuclear bomb and its catastrophic power, and secondly, the race into space. This would evolve into a most dangerous climate to create an atmosphere of paranoia throughout the world, and in particular, America. However, as returning servicemen touched foot onto US soil once again- the atmosphere was one of cautious invincibility. Overseas we would begin the task of rebuilding and that of watchdog- no better illustration of this is the separation of Berlin and the Germanys immediately following the war. In peacetime, our presence would be felt by that of the Marshall Plan, and our task was to assist those nations to rebuild what we had helped to blow to bits. In the United States, caution was best illustrated by the anticipated economic recession, that the vacuum of disposables such as clothing and other rationed goods could not be filled in time to meet the insatiable demands of those returning from duty overseas. That would be the hope of Gillette- that the immediate need for quality-built shaving goods- razors and razor blades, would dramatically offset the completion of their wartime contract duties and resulting loss of profits. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

if anything; Gillette did pay attention to the immediate post-war climate in America. Both advertisements portray shaving products and a return to a civilian lifestyle. The second advertisement was for the English home market, but could have easily appeared in US publications at that time. The themes are the same- a fuller life afforded by Gillette products and a return to a happy home. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Super Speed Shaving Circa 1948.jpg
Gillett 1948 Blue Blade Ad.jpg

A General MacArthur Toby Mug, made by Royal Winton as one of the WWII Allied Leader character pieces, has found its way to the Brown house. Aside from glaze crazing, it is an unblemished example. This mug will hold vintage thermometers and grooming accessories in the period shaving medicine cabinet, and is a fitting nod to the early super Speed culture. The shave den, with the addition of the WWII Contract Tech, is complete, as there truly is no room at the inn so to speak. I will predicate that to mean at least my wife, Sharon Ann,
Royal Winton General MacArthur Toby Mug England WWII.JPG
Royal Winton General MacArthur Toby Mug Left View WWII.JPG
Royal Winton General MacArthur Toby Mug Right Profile WWII.JPG
Vintage Shaving Gear Medicine Cabinet .JPG
Vintage Early  Super Speed Shave Den.JPG
thinks so... God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Thank you my optimistic fellow Southerner and friend! In actuality, there is room for only one razor in the Early Super Speed Shave Den if I have them all in a mug, as the checkered Jackson China mug next to the green period Tawny Aftershave is smaller than the other mugs, and just holds one razor. Early portion control I do believe... It would go inside the drip-glazed shaving bowl. I gifted a 1954 TV special to Adam Keener, as at the time I saw obtaining the blue case far harder than finding a razor, which still is a problem as far as finding a case is concerned. Both the 1958 and 1954 cases share the same clear lid, so at least finding an un-crazed lid is easier, with two years of cases to choose from. The other razor I do not have is a 1953 or Y date coded 1940's style razor. This would also involve locating a case and a Blue Blade dispenser, but the blue cases that this razor would have sold with are fairly common. I have my eyes peeled for a nice WWII Pyrex US Navy handle-less watch cup, but that may need to wave a surrender flag and go in my office that I will resume building, once my recovery from bronchitis is complete. My doctor has put me on a second medication to lower my pulse and blood pressure, one being a calcium channel blocker and the other an ACE inhibitor, and this has been a difficult transition as far as energy for constructing that long-awaited office is concerned. God Bless! Good to hear from you Sir! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Tony, here is the car as I have promised. It's not a great photo. Ethan was so excited that he didn't let me get a proper picture! He won 3rd place overall,in his troop, and will be going to the district race to complete with all local cub scout troops. The reason I can't get a better photo is that all winners moving on to districts must have their vehicle sequestered so no changes can be made. Ethan was not a happy camper. Thanks for your good vibes, they certainly helped! Not bad for a couple first timers!
20170325_092517-1.jpg

Fantastic Alan! The weight seems distributed forward of the front axle and above the rear wheels for added traction. Wedge shapes work in this type of racer- maybe British Leyland knew something after all... Ethan has the makings of von Dutch too methinks! God Bless and thanks for posting what will be the winning car! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Triumph TR8 Advertisement The Wedge.jpg
Wedge Advertisement TR8.jpg
von Dutch.jpg

Wow Tony, you certainly have been under the weather! I hope you have a full recovery soon.

I need a Y razor or three as that is the year I was born. It would be nice to have one from the proper quarter of a SuperSpeed, Tech, and President. Wouldn't that be a set! As all of my razors come from the "wild" I doubt I'll ever reach that goal.

Gillette 1955 Super Speed Birth Year Razors A1 Flare Tip, A2 Red Tip, A2 Blue Tip.JPG
Side pasture.JPG
Mike; My eyes are peeled. Ask Adam- I found three 1955 birth year Super Speeds, so perhaps I can find a nice Y date code Super Speed for you... Yes; I am still coughing and my blood pressure and pulse has yet to settle down. More serial vital signs this week and off to the good doctor's office! Mowing season is upon us and I cannot afford to be sick with three acres to cut! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Last edited:

KeenDogg

Thanks ,T. He's got it won already! Great spirit, that boy. I think he's got the makings of a von Dutch myself. If he starts bringing home motorcycle parts to paint I'm going to start to wonder! I'll keep my eyes on the Ys. Flea market season is upon us here!

Kindly,
Adam

Ethan gets it from Dad I am thinking, but do begin to worry when the only model cars he has are famous Hot Rods... Keep those eyeballs peeled for Mike too- I feel a y Super Speed is in his future now that we are both working in that direction! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Doane Spencer Highboy 1.jpg
1934 Ford Arnett Granatelli Coupe.jpg
1932 Ford High Boy Alfred Berton Carson Top.jpg
Ed Insky 24 T Bucket Roadster My Ride Is Me.jpg
Norm Grabowski Kookie Kar Life Magazine.jpg

In the days ahead I am hoping to be well enough for carpentry involving sanding and painting- two activities one does not do while recovering from bronchitis. After work, I raked a few leaves from around the house, as the front yard is shaded by a twenty foot or so in diameter red oak tree that was positioned in front of the High Victorian homestead that our house is perched. When I married into the house we currently live in- not much remained, save the greener-grass outline of the outhouse, yard ornamentals such as a Royal Paulownia tree, obviously imported from China or Japan and quite a status symbol for the up-and coming Hobgood who lived there, whose family was rather well-to-do from the two hundred acres of tobacco that surrounded the house and bordered the Tar River. The gravel drive would yield broken glass shards and fragments of earthenware on occasion following a heavy rain, and pieces of prehistoric stone industry littered the ground before the side yard was turned into pasture. The first thing I did notice though, was that my wife hid a spare key under a ten inch across rhyolite tool core, shaped like a turtle shell and almost perfectly round.

The rather eclectic wall art selections in the office will also feature Sioux beadwork and quillwork from my early days in Scouts, something that I owe a debt of gratitude in shaping my interests in archaeology. Not at all Super Speed related, but worth the tale nonetheless. Rapid City, South Dakota, in those days, sheltered a thriving crafts community that helped to elevate the artist from the grinding poverty found on the reservation at Pine Ridge. I was fortunate to acquire a number of quilled pieces from Harry Blue Legs, a well known porcupine quill worker, and Beverly Wheeler, whose beaded moccasins helped to care for her and her daughter who lived alone and off the reservation. The photographs are prior to shadowboxing the pieces, and hopefully quite a few more can be displayed. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Sioux Fully Beaded Sinew Sewn Mocs 20th Century.JPG
Sioux Quilled Knife Sheath Harry Blue Legs.JPG
Sioux Baby Moccasins circa 1960.jpg

Montgomery WWI Toby Mug Royal Doulton.jpg
Royal Winton Winston Churchill Toby Mug.jpg
Roosevelt Toby Mug WWII Royal Doulton.jpg
Buddy Lee Jeans Bobble Head Doll.jpg
Kissing Eskimo Bobble Head Dolls.jpg
Toby style caricature mugs, although popularized England, did spill over to the US when they featured a prominent governmental figure or someone in the news spotlight, often ferretted back by returning servicemen as a more peaceful souvenir of their stay. The popular American counterpart was the bobble-head doll, featuring a prominently oversized head that was spring mounted on a torso. Many of the bobbleheads in the US were produced in Germany prior to the hostilities. By the 1950s, bobbleheads had a substantial surge in popularity, with items made of either plastic or bisque fired clay, so their popularity was well established by the early Super Speed period. Themes popular during the early 1950's included kissing dolls, grass-skirted hula dancers, Eskimo Indian dolls, and popular television characters. Sports figures were also popular, but predominately those of baseball figurines. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Hello Gents,

I have a question that I'm sure you can help me with. I just recently was given two safety razors. One is a 1960 FB and the other I know is a super speed. However, the super speed has no date codes. How can you tell the year otherwise?
Thanks,
Joe

Vermonter Joe; Congratulations on your gift! Can you post a photograph? A 1947, or the first year for the Super Speed- featured razor blade positioning tabs on each ender of the center safety bar. The 1948 and 1949 Super Speeds each had a notched center safety bar for loading Gillet's Blue Blades from their newly introduced Speed Pak dispenser. The 1950 Super Speed would have PAT NOS on PKG and a rolled or peened rivet holding the razor head assembly to the handle. This should narrow your dating options somewhat, but again- please post a picture of your Super Speed looking down from the open blade silo doors to see these characteristics. God Bless and happy Easter! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Gillette Early 1947 Super Speed with Ranger Tech Blade Tray and Non-Stepped Guide bar.JPG
Gillette 1949 Super Speed Razor Left, Gillette 1950 V-3 Super Speed Razor Right Blade Tray Views.JPG

Many folks have sent me well-wishes concerning my health along with coveted prayers for my recovery. I am happy to report that my bronchitis has abated, and my difficult to control tachycardia and high blood pressure has begun to respond through exercise and medication. In short- I feel like a new penny, and will continue to make improvements. Growing older, in short, requires a personal investment which I am willing to make.

On the office front, I am now in the clear to begin some of the necessary room improvements, and all of the various sentimental items from my parent's life and mine are framed and ready for display. I will post pictures as I am able.

On the early Gillette Super Speed razor front, a 1953 Y4, 1940's style Super Speed is on its way to the Brown house. It will customarily go to Cap for an ultrasonic cleaning and any mechanical rectification. A case and dispenser is also in the works, and that should come together to complete the mainstream Super Speed razor collection from 1947 through 1955. Again, thanks to everyone for their support. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

KeenDogg

Many folks have sent me well-wishes concerning my health along with coveted prayers for my recovery. I am happy to report that my bronchitis has abated, and my difficult to control tachycardia and high blood pressure has begun to respond through exercise and medication. In short- I feel like a new penny, and will continue to make improvements. Growing older, in short, requires a personal investment which I am willing to make.

On the office front, I am now in the clear to begin some of the necessary room improvements, and all of the various sentimental items from my parent's life and mine are framed and ready for display. I will post pictures as I am able.

On the early Gillette Super Speed razor front, a 1953 Y4, 1940's style Super Speed is on its way to the Brown house. It will customarily go to Cap for an ultrasonic cleaning and any mechanical rectification. A case and dispenser is also in the works, and that should come together to complete the mainstream Super Speed razor collection from 1947 through 1955. Again, thanks to everyone for their support. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Glad to see you doing well, buddy. It makes me very happy.

Top Bottom