What's new

Super Speed Identification

Nicely done. As a fan of the SS style I found this quite useful to help A Certain Party understand what Santa should bring me this year....

in addition I will show you the difference from a 49/50 set (no notched case, cream dispenser) to a 1951 set (notched case, blue dispenser):

proxy.php

proxy.php

here is the next addition:

the 1948/50 says left side "PAT.NOS.ON" and on the right side "PACKAGE"
the 1950-54 says left side "PAT.NOS." and on the right side "ON PKG"

Attachments

• $1948-1949 Super-Speed.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 2,077
  • $1950 Super-Speed.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 2,383
here is the next addition:

the 1948/50 says left side "PAT.NOS.ON" and on the right side "PACKAGE"
the 1950-54 says left side "PAT.NOS." and on the right side "ON PKG"

Achim,
That's great information. Even though we discussed this before we (I) felt there were inconsistencies because I had a notched, no date code razor with the "ON PKG" stamped inside and my V3 was stamped the same way. Now your info will identify the razor as a 1950 version. Excellent.

Regards,
Len

OK, now I understand. Like this pic from left to right: 58 TV, 60´s style, 50´s style

I know this refers to a post from early 2009, but I just found it and thought I'd comment.

I have examples of each of these three. What is interesting is the date code on the 58TV I have: it is E-1, meaning 1959. Perhaps these 58TVs were made into 1959.

Doug

Hello Gentlemen,
this is my first post at this forum, so please bear over with me (and my Norwegian English!), if I have overlooked any information. I found this Super Speed type razor at a local thrift store, and it don't look exactly like any other in this thread, as far as I can see. The handle seems to lack the groove (?) above the tip. As you see from the pictures, it is made in England, with a patent pending, and has no date code. Probably an early one? Would appreciate any identification.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The handle is not in exact angle with the head, and I believe it probably was made that way, one would have to use great force to bend it like this.

proxy.php

Thank you

AEH
http://www.murul.no/
http://blogg.murul.no/

Thank you newboy, this shows that there is a lot to learn :001_smile

I believe that my razor must be no. 5 in the list in your link.

As far as the angle of the head, sorry to say it's been dropped and damaged. It shouldn't be at an angle like that.
The british rockets are very easy to bend like that, it's a weak join that connects the head to the handle in most british rocket type razors. The british rocket handles can come loose or mis-align, (or seize up). It's fairly risky to buy them on ebay for example, I got one good one and one bad one from there.
If they aren't shown in photos to be straight, or in fully opened or closed shots, or it's just a blurry shot of a some old rocket razor without a case, it could be a dud as they do have problems sometimes, more so than regular USA TTO razors.

Last edited:
The british rockets are very easy to bend like that, it's a weak join that connects the head to the handle in most british rocket type razors.

I take your word for that. The reason I suspected that it was a production fault was that I tried to bend it back, and didn't have a chance (and I am am a rather big and strong person :001_smile ).
BTW it functions very well, have used for the last week and like it.

Guido and all the other contributors, thank you very much for the education. I'm somewhat new to DE and pick up a little info here and there. This thread is a great overview on Super Speeds. Thank you, again!
Joe

I ran across this purportedly 1958 D1 while doing some research on past ebay auctions - is this some sort of Frankenrazor, with a late 60s handle attached to a 1958 head? Or perhaps made for an overseas market after US production stopped? Counterfeit/knockoff?
Any ideas? My brief research on the web has turned up no other 1958 examples like this one with a black handle:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Salty, why wouldn't it be a 1983 D-1 and a misguided ebay seller?

That's a possibility I'd considered, but the Gillette guide at Safetyrazors.net indicates that production of the SS stopped around 1974 - but they qualify that with some ???s so that's probably it. Maybe made overseas for local consumption.

D1 is my birth quarter so I'm doing some homework to see if I really want to acquire a set of D1 Gillettes.

That's a possibility I'd considered, but the Gillette guide at Safetyrazors.net indicates that production of the SS stopped around 1974 - but they qualify that with some ???s so that's probably it. Maybe made overseas for local consumption.

D1 is my birth quarter so I'm doing some homework to see if I really want to acquire a set of D1 Gillettes.

it´s a 1983 black handle Super-Speed. Here is my 1985 bh SS:

proxy.php

Top Bottom