What's new

Suggestions of good non aggressive razors or an adjustable

I'd recommend the Merkur 34C but since you already have a razor with the same head I would pass. I would give the Standard Razor a try. It's efficient yet I find it almost impossible to nick myself with it.

The Parker 99r is supposed to be mild. I have one, but haven't tried it yet. I hear Super Speeds are great. My VDH (Weishi 9306) is very mild, but very light weight.

Why don't you turn your adjustables down to 1 or 2?

3 doesn't bother me. More so just looking for another razor to throw into the rotation.

i just got a 34C and had 4 shaves with it. i found it milder than i like however it may have been the Merkur blade, i'll use a Feather next time.

there's always a plan B.

+1 on the Shick Krona. Don't spend a lot on one as, IMHO, your technique improves, you may want to move up to a more aggressive razor. At least, that's been my personal experience. Before the Shick, I had a Stahley, which was spring wound and vibrated. Clever design and extremely mild shaving. The Krona followed along with several others and I'm now using a Italian Barber Razorock Wunderbar slant, a razon which shaves closely with al;most no irritation.

To me, my Canadian Pre-War Tech feels about like my Slim at #4 or maybe #3. I haven't actually done any back-to-back comparisons.
I tend to prefer the Tech, as a more comfortable shave.

if you use a Progress at lower setting like max @2 you will not regret it.
Also you will have something more aggressive, if you want, for the future.

I've been shaving with a safety razor for about 8 months now and have really sensitive skin. I started out with a razorock classic long handle and found it very aggressive. I then switched over to a merkur 20c and find that it's not to bad. I can shave with it but have to really watch my bald selection. But since Christmas my go to razors have been vintage Gillette slim and fatboy for my every day shaves. I still gotta watch my blade selection but I find that if I have it set on 3 I'm usually good. So just looking for suggestions on razors that would be about as aggressive as my Gillettes on 3
RR Baby Smooth. Merkur Bakelite. Gillette New Type Open Comb, circa 1930. RR Mission.

Merkur 25C long handle. Looks great, handle is nice length and smooth as butter. Also, it won't break the bank. ;-)

I second Steve. A Gillette 1954 flare tip has a smaller head than the 1955 version, and is more maneuverable. Both are for moderately heavy beards. A Pre-War Fat Handle Tech is well-balanced and a wonderfully mild and predictable shaving tool as well. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Attachments

• Gillette 1954 Date Code Z1 First Year Production Super Speed Flare Tip Red base Styrene Case.JPG
    Gillette 1954 Date Code Z1 First Year Production Super Speed Flare Tip Red base Styrene Case.JPG
    551.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Gillette 1955 Super Speed Flare Tip Date Code A1 with Case and 6 Blade Blue Blade Dispenser.JPG
    Gillette 1955 Super Speed Flare Tip Date Code A1 with Case and 6 Blade Blue Blade Dispenser.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Gillette Fat Handle Pre-War Tech.jpg
    Gillette Fat Handle Pre-War Tech.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Gillette Prewar Gold Tech Razor.JPG
    Gillette Prewar Gold Tech Razor.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 10
I'm going to recommend the usual players, these also happen to be some of the most common razors out there:

Edwin Jagger DE89/Kelvin
Merkur 34C/38
Gillette Tech
Gillette Super Speed/Rocket
Edwin Jagger Clone (everyone makes one)

Gillette 1955 A2 Date Code Blue Tip Super Speed with Case and Blue Blade Dispenser Open View.JPG
Gillette 1955 A2 Blue Tip Super Speed.JPG
Mike; I was thinking of a razor perhaps a notch more aggressive, like a Fatboy on 4. However, A Blue Tip Super Speed is indeed as you say- wonderfully mild and an excellent choice. Like the Red Tip- they are so admired that they enjoy specific fellowships, brotherhoods, and shave days. Good call Sir! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Top Bottom