What's new

Suggestions of good non aggressive razors or an adjustable

I've been shaving with a safety razor for about 8 months now and have really sensitive skin. I started out with a razorock classic long handle and found it very aggressive. I then switched over to a merkur 20c and find that it's not to bad. I can shave with it but have to really watch my bald selection. But since Christmas my go to razors have been vintage Gillette slim and fatboy for my every day shaves. I still gotta watch my blade selection but I find that if I have it set on 3 I'm usually good. So just looking for suggestions on razors that would be about as aggressive as my Gillettes on 3

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I think a Super Speed or pre-war Tech should fit the bill nicely. Both are mild.

I never hesitate to suggest a slim, if I only had one razor it would be my slim. All the Gillette adjustables are great, it's just easier to find the slim in good condition at a decent price.

My fatboy is in great shape. My wife went out and found both of my vintage in an antique shop and she only paid $4.50 a piece for them and all they needed was a good clean. The black isn't in the numbers of the fatboy anymore but that's minor

I really like the slim and fatboy, but I love the Feather ASD2. If it is in the budget give it a try!

You already know you like mild razors, making this a less risky bet for you than others.

Doesn't have to be vintage although the vintage stuff is nice. Even if there was a modern adjustable will check into all the razors you guys suggest

I too generally shave with a Gillette slim on 3-5 depending on the blade and how many shaves it has on it. I also like the pre and post war techs. I just tried a RazoRock SLAB (shave like a boss) razor and found it more aggressive but manageable. One shave in isn't enough time to give a definitive answer though. It's head design is based on the ej de89 just with more blade gap.

I'm going to try a PAA DOC (double open comb) tomorrow. Supposed to be a mild razor. I'll try to report back.

I would say overall though that a tech would be a good choice.

Gillette red tip is mild but slightly more agressive than a Gillette adjustable on low a setting. It a nice smooth shave.

Look at the Gillette tto aristocrat or the Milord. Very mild, but give great shaves. Or as others have suggested, get a gillette adjustable and keep the setting to 3 or less.

The Parker 99r is supposed to be mild. I have one, but haven't tried it yet. I hear Super Speeds are great. My VDH (Weishi 9306) is very mild, but very light weight.

Why don't you turn your adjustables down to 1 or 2?

My Long Handled Weishi is very mild and forgiving, but at the same time delivers some great shaves when used at the correct angle.
Also the Frankenrazor I made today using the head from a cheap green handled Chinese razor (€2) and the hexagonal aluminium handle off another cheap Chinese razor(usually €2,50, but I paid €1 at auction) was fairly mild, but it gave me one of my best shaves in a long time.
View attachment 642849View attachment 642850

I didnt start getting decent shaves until i got my Slim. Love my Fatboy to but a Slim is easier to come by at a decent price. It really helped me get my angle right now i get good shaves from all my razors except my Gem Micromatic

Top Bottom