What's new

Suehiro 20k

Hi,
Im curious if the Suehiro 20k is a good finisher? Is it a very hard stone? I read somewhere that the stone felt like plastic??

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Yes, it's probably the best synth finisher there is. It's very hard. I haven't noticed a 'plastic' feel, but many synthetics have kind of 'sticky' sensation while honing, depending on the matrix. I rarely use mine, I prefer jnats, but it's fine, fast, and consistent.

Cheers, Steve

Like Steve says, finest synthetic I have tried. Very smooth and keen edges.

Like Steve, I just like the JNATs better but there is ZERO wrong with the Suehiro

Once upon a time I had the Guacamole 20k. I sold it too soon, because I didn't like the feed back.
I should've put it away and waited at least 2-3 years before pulling it out again.
Boy do I wish I had one now!

No feedback at all! Lol. But 20 laps on a well done 10 or 12k even an 8k will deliver an extremely predictable edge.

Agree with all previous posts. While I'm still learning (read that, "struggling") with conistency with my cotis and JNATS, the SG 20K never lets me down.

Overpriced IMO, plasticky feel, lame feedback. Not sure I'd say it's hard, but it's not a particularly soft stone at all. It's like a harder plastic.
Not that impressed with the edges from this stone - while it is finer than, say - a 12k SS - I don't think it's finer enough to warrant the attention others have given it. That's just my take on it; I had it for a few months and then I sold it because I was never going to use it again after that. Even if I was going to roll with a full synth set up, I would never rebuy the 20k Gok.

I just looked up that stone and it gets decent review but it's a costly stone, I would think there are less costly choices for a finisher but then again I have several JNATS that cost about as much.

IME it has been a great finisher. Nothing about the stone gave me an impression of 'plastic.' As for hard ......... here is mine after over 2 years of using and lapping. From day one it was so hard that I only went as far on the pencil grid as I needed to hone a straight razor. Figuring as I continued to flatten it over time, I'd eventually get to 100% flat.

$1Suehiro20K.jpg

Flattening with both the DMT D8C, and the Atoma plates. The DMT does the grunt work and I finish it off with the aggressive Atoma. The 20k was quite pricey, but so highly recommended that I thought I'd take a chance, and it has delivered the goods for me, and I don't regret the purchase. Seems this sport, hobby, whatever you want to call it has some of that YMMV in every aspect, even hones.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The cost has kept my curiosity in check. I don't think I could improve the edges I get from my diamond on balsa finish, tbh. I might try one some day, but its not on my bucket list.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Depends on the water. Well water i hear work the best with that stone. :w00t:

Oh no it simply MUST be PNW rain water. If it is unavailable in your area you can probably buy honemeister certified honing water in hermetically sealed specialized honing water containers from a certain website.

Top Bottom