What's new

Strop question

Just out of curiosity last night I took a close look at my strop, and I got to noticing that it is not smooth leather, but instead has a texture to it (hills and valleys). I was wondering, does this affect my blade in a negative way?

Is it a leather or synthetic strop?

Personally I do not like synthetic strops with texture to straights (the few I tried, actually only one type).
Smooth synthetic at least do not mess up the edge and can be used as training strops, YMMV.

I have a leather strop with very neat texture and I like that one. But I like many others as well.

If the razor gets sharper after stropping my guess is all is just fine.
If the sharpness is unchanged or less good either the strop or the stropping technique is not good enough.

Take the razor when it has been used for shaving and do some hanging hair tests or tree topping. Clean the razor.
Then do some leather stropping and do some more hanging hair tests. That’s the only way for you to see if your stropping with a certain strop improves the sharpness or not.

I actually shaved today with a straight razor I gave a touch up with a synthetic strop with texture loaded with diamond paste and found it too improve. The same strop clean I found to do nothing or even decrease performance.

Only question is, 'did you check the condition of your strop because of the way your razor performs?' If the answer is 'no', you have your answer.

Top Bottom