What's new

Straight Razor Chronicle - Volume 4 - Ward Bros. Melbourne

Legion

Staff member
This is one I am tidying up today. Love the local history. I might go and photograph what 144 Swanston St looks like now, if I get a chance this week.

proxy.php

Some fresh material regarding Ward Bros manufacturing activities in Australia.
Previously in this thread I have told the Ward Bros (Cutlers) story as far as was known to the family.

Recent research within the digitized WW2 Service Record for my father (Gilbert Hilling Ward,50422)
turned up previously unknown material of relevance, on pp.76/77.

In support of his application for transfer to an administrative position, my father includes
four important statements:-

"Managing Director of Ward Bros (Cutlers) Pty. Ltd. for the past fourteen years"

"Managed a small factory doing the work of the above company"

"Pioneered knife manufacture in Australia under the firm of Sheffield Steel Manufacture.

Knives of which are being used by our own forces, table, quick release and throwing knives"

"Have looked after the welfare and employed up to thirty men"

My own take from these statements is:-
1. Unfortunately my father's grammar is not precise, making interpretation of true meaning difficult! Allow that this was a quickly hand-written application for a new role, made 'on post' in New Guinea Feb 1943

2. If we respect the capitalization, his wording indicates some tutelage from a company called
"Sheffield Steel Manufacture" but I find no reference anywhere to a company by this name, so cannot fully
understand the statement. Even "Sheffield Steel Manufacturers" does not turn up any company references.

3. Ward Bros was locally making at least table knives, 'flick' knives, and throwing knives.
(I assume that "quick release knives" most probably refers to the 'flick' knife in the Ward Bros catalog)

4. "Knives of which are being used by our own forces, table, quick release and throwing knives"
This is a very unclear statement! Was he indicating that our Military was using quick release and throwing knives?
We have a sample of a simple pocket knife that was presented to the military, but rejected. A single blade between
flat stainless sides that were also formed to be a bottle opener.

5. No mention of razors. These would have been high on his list here if being manufactured locally, so this lack of mention
strengthens my belief that razors were made for the Australian Ward Bros by others. (At least in my father's time, from about 1930)

6. Allowing for five sales and stock persons employed at the tiny 144 Swanston St. Melbourne shop, at some time up to another twenty five persons had been employed elsewhere. This balance would include staff at the Fitzroy factory, a small outlet in Adelaide, perhaps a traveling rep., and several doing repairs and sharpening.

I apologise for introducing material of such a challenge to understand, but believe it worthwhile to put on the record
Gilbert Ward's claim that Ward Bros "Pioneered knife manufacture in Australia"

Wardie.

WARD MANUFACTURING.jpg
WARD MANUFACTURING_2.jpg

Top Bottom