What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Thank you...yes sadly a nice example sometimes cost us a pretty penny and we must dig deep if we really want it. On the other hand we quickly forget the nice ones we get at less than fair market value...lol.

You are absolutely right and I have no right to complain. Having received some very nice vintage razors as a gift. All they need is some cleanup and honing and they will be quite nice.

Legion

Staff member
I picked up this interesting kamisori. I probably paid a bit too much for it, but I have never seen one quite like this, with the cast handle.

Apparently the blade says "Pure Tamahagane, Special made Made by Jitsuo Special grade Zubora", I am not familiar with that maker, but it's a bit different to the usual blades, with their rattan or blue rubber grip.

Now I just have to work on my kamisori honing skills, which has never been my strong suit.

DSC00274small.jpg

Last edited:
Finnigan.jpg

The postman has just delivered this razor. There is a little story to go with this acquisition: I was brought up in Manchester until I was 12 when the family moved to London. I saw this item on ebay, thought it looked interesting with its thumb notch, double jimps and ivory scales and then the name came back to me. Finnigan was absolutely the smartest department store in the city - I could remember my mother telling me this - the equivalent of say Fortnum & Mason in London. I reallised then that anything the company sold would be top quality and because of the memory of my mother, just had to buy it! It would be wonderful to know who manufactured it but I suppose that that would be impossible to research.

C.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
View attachment 761980

The postman has just delivered this razor. There is a little story to go with this acquisition: I was brought up in Manchester until I was 12 when the family moved to London. I saw this item on ebay, thought it looked interesting with its thumb notch, double jimps and ivory scales and then the name came back to me. Finnigan was absolutely the smartest department store in the city - I could remember my mother telling me this - the equivalent of say Fortnum & Mason in London. I reallised then that anything the company sold would be top quality and because of the memory of my mother, just had to buy it! It would be wonderful to know who manufactured it but I suppose that that would be impossible to research.

C.

from Manah's site :
Finnigan, Manchester.

Finnigans were prestigious luggage makers from Manchester and Liverpool.
Their factory was at Deansgate in Manchester.
They were well known for their quality.
In around 1900, they expand their business to London, 18 New Bond Street.
The razor was made before 1891.

from Manah's site :
Finnigan, Manchester.

Finnigans were prestigious luggage makers from Manchester and Liverpool.
Their factory was at Deansgate in Manchester.
They were well known for their quality.
In around 1900, they expand their business to London, 18 New Bond Street.
The razor was made before 1891.

Thank you very much; how do you know that the razor is pre-1891 - is it the lack of "made in England" that confirms this? The point is that it is a "bellied" hollow ground blade; I understood from other posts on the forum that such blades were not made before 1900 or so. I'll see if I can make a photo of the grind.

I have tried; I am afraid it is quite impossible to make a photo - I cannot imagine how people make these pictures; they must have special equipment I suppose!

Rgds
C.

Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Thank you very much; how do you know that the razor is pre-1891 - is it the lack of "made in England" that confirms this? The point is that it is a "bellied" hollow ground blade; I understood from othe rposts on the forum that such blades were not made before 1900 or so. I'll see if I can make a photo of the grind.

Rgds
C.
I'd say yes.
(from the article "Brief history of the straight razor.")
1825 saw the first signs of hollow grinding, but it wouldn’t be fully developed for another sixty years. By 1900, the straight razor had reached its final evolution.

I picked up this interesting kamisori. I probably paid a bit too much for it, but I have never seen one quite like this, with the cast handle.

Apparently the blade says "Pure Tamahagane, Special made Made by Jitsuo Special grade Zubora", I am not familiar with that maker, but it's a bit different to the usual blades, with their rattan or blue rubber grip.

Now I just have to work on my kamisori honing skills, which has never been my strong suit.

View attachment 761976

Nice one!!! Shave report required Sir.

Very nice razor Cambouis, Ivory clad and most likely from a Sheffield maker. Which one is anybody's guess, comparing similar razors would be the best idea to work out the maker.
I nearly bid on this razor, luckily I didn't run the price up for you :001_smile

View attachment 761976

Very interesting indeed, congratulations[emoji106]

Skickat från min Nexus 10 via Tapatalk

I don't think I can get a better chopper than this... Doesn't mean I will stop buying them, but this is pretty much the summit of the mountain..

20170217_120812.jpg
20170217_120812.jpg
20170217_120737.jpg
20170217_120824.jpg

Top Bottom