What's new

Stinky Watchband

How do you avoid a nylon web watchband from smelling after wearing it for a while?

I take it off after work, but it is on my wrist 8+hours a day, 5 days a week.

It's kind of annoying.

Well, nylon is easy. Take it off the watch and wash it in soap and water. In general most watch straps have a certain life and then its time to toss them. Unless you have a high end watch and replace it with an exact replacement or want some exotic a replacement should not cost more then $20 or less.

My watches have the one piece NATO/Military style one piece bands -- the band runs thru one roller pin, under the watch and out through the other roller pin. Easy to remove and I wash them in the clothes washer every few months.
I hate leather watch bands -- they always end up just reeking after about 6 months.

I got tired of constantly washing/soaking/scrubbing/replacing my nylon banded watches, so I got a plastic banded timex ironman watch. Not much to look at, but doesn't stink up and has been going stong.

If it's a leather strap, you can only replace it. For high-end watches, don't forget to keep the buckle and transfer it to the new strap.

Wrist cheese! And yes, it is every bit as gross as you can imagine. Really. Be warned.

Roger

Last edited by a moderator:
Soap and water, let it dry before you wear it. You could also hit it with some fabreeze after you wash it.

My watches have the one piece NATO/Military style one piece bands -- the band runs thru one roller pin, under the watch and out through the other roller pin. Easy to remove and I wash them in the clothes washer every few months.
I hate leather watch bands -- they always end up just reeking after about 6 months.

This is what I do too... All my watches that get worn at work get a nice UTC NATO. They are very secure and easy to wash.

I like to give my a soaped and hard rolling boiled bath for 5 to 8 mins. Works every time... There might be concern with the bands fading over time... I don't much care though... The stink is gone and I'm good!

-note the green-ish nasty water... that's the gross in the bands!

-Julian

Attachments

• $IMG_1685.JPG
    $IMG_1685.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 50
  • $IMG_1687.JPG
    $IMG_1687.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 51
  • $IMG_1686.JPG
    $IMG_1686.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 52
I almost always wear some sort of fragrance, and my last set of bands had to be replaced for being to worn, it actually didnt smell bad at all.

Wrist cheese! And yes, it is every bit as gross as you can imagine. Really. Be warned.

Roger
Yuk. If someone allows that to happen to the watch strap, I don't want to imagine what's happening elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I don't know . . . seems like a bit of a mean comment. I've had a watch strap get ugly on me. I shower twice a day. My wrist is way down at the end of my arm so it took a bit for me to notice.

Top Bottom