What's new

Started a Couch to 5K Program

Well, I've grown tired of being overweight and miss my prior fitness level. I currently sit here at 6'3" and weighed 264lbs this morning at the Y. Prior to 2012 I was in great shape and had completed two half-marathons but things have gone downhill since then. So this morning I headed down to the Y to start the couch to 5K. I don't really have an urge to run anymore races, just want to improve my fitness and be around as long as possible for my family. Hoping that if I document this journey here that I will have some sort of accountability and can measure my progress in a way that both motivates and informs. My immediate goal is to work this next year and get to 225 lbs for Christmas 2017. There will be diet changes as well as my eating habits are certainly not good. So anyways, day 1 of the program is completed and I did not have too terrible of a time doing the run/walk pattern set up, it's pretty easy this week at run for 1 minute walk for 1.5 minutes and this cycle is done for 20 minutes with 5 minute warm up and cool down periods to begin and end.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have the couch part down pat. Good luck with the 5K part.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Great job!!
I am subscribed to this thread!
I'm keeping an eye on you!
Looking forward to reading about your adventure!

marty

Thank you all for the kind words and advice. I'm on a three day a week program and looking forward to hitting it again in the morning!

I'm in! I have not worked out at all since I retired from the military. My weight is increasing and health is declining as a result. I bought a treadmill at the end of August, but then pulled a groin muscle and have not been able to use it.

I started this morning. I did the workout you mentioned above, but was only able to go for 20 minutes including warm up an cool down, before I had to go to work. I feel pretty good. Hopefully I can get up earlier tomorrow and get in the full 30 minutes.

Time to research more of this C25K thing to see what the progression is. I hate running, but I know I need to do something. If I have the goal of doing some 5Ks in the future, it'll help motivate me.

Thanks for this timely thread!

I'm in! I have not worked out at all since I retired from the military. My weight is increasing and health is declining as a result. I bought a treadmill at the end of August, but then pulled a groin muscle and have not been able to use it.

I started this morning. I did the workout you mentioned above, but was only able to go for 20 minutes including warm up an cool down, before I had to go to work. I feel pretty good. Hopefully I can get up earlier tomorrow and get in the full 30 minutes.

Time to research more of this C25K thing to see what the progression is. I hate running, but I know I need to do something. If I have the goal of doing some 5Ks in the future, it'll help motivate me.

Thanks for this timely thread!

That's great! Good luck with your program.

Time to get moving, week 1 day 2 has begun. Just got to the gym and on the treadmill...away we go!

Alrighty, I finished up day 2 week 1 and it felt pretty darn good. I completed 2.06 miles on the treadmill in 30 minutes doing the 5 minute warm-up, then 1 minute running and 1.5 minutes walking, then a 5 minute cool-down. 8 sets of the run/walk grouping for 20 minutes. Hopped on the scale and down to 261lbs! 3 lbs already!!! I know that won't always be the case and there will be days that I'm less, some the same, and possibly even some with weight gain but I do appreciate a little instant gratification hahaha.
[MENTION=29515]TheVez2[/MENTION] good luck with your second day. From an US Army vet to a fellow vet, you got this! I know you will do well and reach your goals!

Well, I completed week 1 with my third workout this morning and it included my local Reindeer Run 5K. I did my workout for most of the run and made it about 2.25 miles in the thirty minutes. I continued the 1 minute run and 1.5 minute walk for the remainder of the 5K and finished in 42:30 seconds. I've also signed up for a 5K race series at 6 state parks in the mountains nearby. That's one a month from January until June of 2017. I can't wait to see my progress as I complete this series. And I'm looking forward to week 2 starting Monday morning

Nice work!
I've started a C25K program a couple of times but always seemed to pull something by end of first week. Maybe time to restart.

Went out this morning at 5am for the start of week 2 in my C25K program. Once more it was a 5 minute warm-up to start and and a 5 minute cool-down to finish. In between I did 6 cycles of 1.5 minutes running and 2 minutes walking. On the scale I weighed 261 after the workout so looks like a 3lb weight loss for last week!!!

Still getting over my cold. I'm terribly congested in the morning from laying down all night. But I feel OK, during the day, so I should be able to start on the treadmill again today after I get home.

Top Bottom