What's new

Star razor

IMG_20170219_193758.jpg
IMG_20170219_193804.jpg

Six sided. I think I like this handle style better. Funky plating colour though.

Lots of good info on this thread and the linked thread provided. So I have a gold Star and that means it has a zamak head? Seems like that means the head could go at any time. I have some Old type heads so I can swap. The Bakelite version has a aluminum head on it?

Just the top caps, they never made a zinc alloy bottom plate to my knowledge.

Which, if any of the Stars has a brass top cap on it? I saw a old six sided one that is not gold colored, not sure about the top. The Bakelite one I saw appears to have a pot metal top, quite corroded.

I guess using an Old type top plate would work but no wings on it, so not sure if it would be quite as secure.

I suspect that mine might have a brass head, but I need to check it against a magnet to make sure, and I'm not in a position to check right now. (naval brass is magnetic)

I suspect that mine might have a brass head, but I need to check it against a magnet to make sure, and I'm not in a position to check right now. (naval brass is magnetic)
I could weigh the cap alone when I get home, but my cap and baseplate weighs 19.4 grams and I know my cap is Zamak. You can compare to that.

I've never seen one with a brass cap, and I'm not aware of anyone ever using Naval brass or Admiralty brass to make a razor, only Yellow brass, Red brass/Rose brass/gunmetal/ounce metal, and Cartridge brass.

Well, technically, nickel is a ferromagnetic metal, so it could be that the plating is what will be attracted :)

I don't think anyone actually knows what kind of brass was used by Gillette. They seemed to use whatever happened to be at the supplier at the time. "Hey! We're running low on brass. Someone run down to the docks and just buy whatever looks yellowish."

Has anyone ever run these things through a gas chromatograph or similar tests to identify what Gillette (and others) actually _used_?

It doesn't matter to me what kind of brass Gillette used, they stood the test of time and can't be beat in my book...

But this is a Star razor thread.

I don't think anyone actually knows what kind of brass was used by Gillette. They seemed to use whatever happened to be at the supplier at the time. "Hey! We're running low on brass. Someone run down to the docks and just buy whatever looks yellowish."

Has anyone ever run these things through a gas chromatograph or similar tests to identify what Gillette (and others) actually _used_?

It doesn't matter to me what kind of brass Gillette used, they stood the test of time and can't be beat in my book...

Lots of good info on this thread and the linked thread provided. So I have a gold Star and that means it has a zamak head? Seems like that means the head could go at any time. I have some Old type heads so I can swap. The Bakelite version has a aluminum head on it?

The cap, not the safety bar, of the Star 100 DE razor is Zamak. There are different formulations of Zamak. Some are ok and last indefinitely if the razor is given reasonable care. Your Zamak capped Star 100 razor already has lasted over half a century! Think about it. How many other disposable household or grooming items last over 50 years? Does your hair dryer? Your comb? Radio? Television? Microwave? Hey, how many cars are on the road that are over 50 years old?

BTW earlier there was discussion as to which was the higher quality razor, a Star DE or a Gillette Tech? I'm reminded that the Star retailed for $1 in the 1950's and in the 1960's my Tech cost .49 cents. The Star was twice as expensive. The prices might be indicative of the quality?

It is noteworthy that a humble little known DE razor such as the Star 100 has generated over 40 posts thus far!

So I swapped a Old type head for the original head and the shave seemed very similar or identical. No movement of the head during the shave that I could tell. It lacks the 'wings' of the original.

I think I still want to have the original zamak head plated with something to make it last indefinitely. If that would work that is. I also have access to a really good 3d printer, wonder how that would go. hmmmm

After reading this thread and being in the Tech/New phase right now, I decided to get a Star. It arrived yesterday and I cleaned it up and shaved with it tonight. I agree totally that shave wise, it is more efficient and smoother than a Tech and I was impressed with my first shave. I was not impressed with the build of it compared to my Gillette Tech. The Star reminded me of the Baili that I will PIF tomorrow in that the head was very light and the plating was weak. Nowhere near the quality of the brass Tech. I tried polishing my Star and it looked better than when I got it, but still marks on the head that would not go away. The handle felt slightly better than the ball end Tech handle, but the light head made the feel of the razor different.

Overall, I will give it a couple more shaves before making a decision on keeping it or not.

DSC01384.JPG

After reading this thread and being in the Tech/New phase right now, I decided to get a Star. It arrived yesterday and I cleaned it up and shaved with it tonight. I agree totally that shave wise, it is more efficient and smoother than a Tech and I was impressed with my first shave. I was not impressed with the build of it compared to my Gillette Tech. The Star reminded me of the Baili that I will PIF tomorrow in that the head was very light and the plating was weak. Nowhere near the quality of the brass Tech. I tried polishing my Star and it looked better than when I got it, but still marks on the head that would not go away. The handle felt slightly better than the ball end Tech handle, but the light head made the feel of the razor different.

Overall, I will give it a couple more shaves before making a decision on keeping it or not.

View attachment 773203
Hi Les.! I would keep the Star Razor as its American made & a piece of Razor history. It shaves about the same as a Gillette Tech to me. The handle is awesome. You can always use it in rotation.

Top Bottom