What's new

Star razor

Bookworm, have you noticed that each of the two alignment pins has a lateral protrusion? That is good engineering, as it makes for a more precise and secure mating of the safety bar and the cap, resulting in less wiggle room for the blade.

Good engineering contributes to the overall quality of the product. The Star DE razor also has a long comb that I love, similar to the LC NEW, though the Star's long comb is closed. Its attention-grabbing handle is very secure in the hand. Its an admirable mix of beauty and practicality. The original handle is the handle as shown in the original post, not the handle on Toby C's razor as shown in #13.

For its economical price and humble market position the Star DE razor is outstanding, based upon its engineering, build quality and appearance. I see it as a vastly improved Tech.

They are both original handles, I believe the six sided one is earlier than the fat handle, I have one of those too.

100_2177.JPG

I noticed the lateral pins. I will agree that it's well engineered. I can't come straight out and say it's improved from the Techs, it's DIFFERENT from the techs. When you add something like those blade stabilizers, that's another wear point, plus increases the machining costs slightly. The finish leaves something to be desired. I don't think I like the lacquered feeling of mine, vs the straight plated feel of the various Gillettes.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the OC version, but I won't go ape hunting for it :) I have a bunch of razors to finish PIFing and then selling before getting more.

I've never seen any wear on those pin fins, and, unfortunately the caps weren't machined, the cap is zamak, which is about as inexpensive as it gets.

I used machining in a general sense. *shrug* It doesn't matter - it's still a good razor. The reason they're less expensive is probably because of the lack of hoopla. People think they're a "lesser" razor. (or rasor, depending on the person posting it on ebay)

Umm - no, I won't be looking for SE's. I already have three Gem's, including a push button, and I don't intend to use those as it is! I need to figure up a price for them, plus the full box of original Gem razor blades, in box (5 for 35 cents!)

They are both original handles, I believe the six sided one is earlier than the fat handle, I have one of those too.

View attachment 764743

Respectfully, the 6 sided handle is off of a 1912 style Star SE razor that was made prior to 1929. I have one of the Star SE's with that 6 sided handle.

The Star DE was made post war 1946 to 1959 and it always had the round handle that is pictured in post #1.

I'll post up a picture tomorrow, but the 6 sided handle I have is _exactly_ the same plating, colour, and aging of the head of my Star razor. It's a DE.

The six sided handle on the DE is similar to but not the same as the SE handle, the shape or contour of the top part is different, and it has a threaded hole instead of an integral threaded post, I have seen several with that handle.

100_2179.JPG
100_2180.JPG
100_2181.JPG
100_2183.JPG

Thanks for clearing up the confusion with those side-by-side pics.

Just wanted to add that I have the same gold-tone Star as the OP, but mine is stamped "TREET" instead of Star. It was my grandfather's main razor for decades. Unfortunately, the pot-zinc top is corroded too badly for it to be used. Maybe one day I'll come across a donor with a top cap in good condition and get a chance to get it into rotation.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion with those side-by-side pics.

Just wanted to add that I have the same gold-tone Star as the OP, but mine is stamped "TREET" instead of Star. It was my grandfather's main razor for decades. Unfortunately, the pot-zinc top is corroded too badly for it to be used. Maybe one day I'll come across a donor with a top cap in good condition and get a chance to get it into rotation.

A Gillette OLD type cap will work perfectly, just won't have wings on the posts, then you'll have a brass cap.

You fellas may find this thread interesting. http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/star-double-edge-razors.496323/

Last edited:
The Postwar Tech is far superior to the Star in my book.

The Star weighs 58.6 grams, while the ball end Postwar Tech weighs 60.8 grams.

The Star handle is .409" thick, while the Tech ball-end handle is .367" thick.

Star cap and baseplate weighs 19.4 grams, while the Tech cap and baseplate weighs 26.7 grams.

The Star is a copy of the Prewar Tech which I find to be inferior to the Postwar Tech..

The Star handle looks nice but the neck is too long for me, there's no knurling where I like to grip the handle, and it is not as efficient as a Postwar Tech...

The Postwar Tech is far superior to the Star in my book.

The Star weighs 58.6 grams, while the ball end Postwar Tech weighs 60.8 grams.

The Star handle is .409" thick, while the Tech ball-end handle is .367" thick.

Star cap and baseplate weighs 19.4 grams, while the Tech cap and baseplate weighs 26.7 grams.

The Star is a copy of the Prewar Tech which I find to be inferior to the Postwar Tech..

The Star handle looks nice but the neck is too long for me, there's no knurling where I like to grip the handle, and it is not as efficient as a Postwar Tech...

That's your opinion on how they shave for you. I can find no flaw in the way a pre-war Tech shaves, and I'm not the only one. The Star is a great shaver as well.

That's your opinion on how they shave for you. I can find no flaw in the way a pre-war Tech shaves, and I'm not the only one. The Star is a great shaver as well.
Of course it's my opinion, that goes without saying!

Do you have a Postwar Tech to compare?

If you look at the prewar and Postwar baseplates closely, you will see that they are almost identical except that the Postwar supports the blade more. The Postwar Tech will slice through coarse stubble more easily because it has more rigidity.

If your stubble is more on the coarse side, you will clearly tell the difference between the two!

The Postwar Tech is an improved prewar tech. The improved baseplate design is a fact, it made the "TECH" better, how it works for you is a different story!

Last edited:
Brother TobyC, thanks for the pictures. I concede. The clincher for me was one handle has a female thread and one handle has a male thread. It's hard to argue against such evidence.

Handles aside, I personally still prefer the appearance and the performance of the Star DE to the post war Gillette Tech. However, I've never had a pre-war Tech. I ordered one last night and I'm looking forward to shaving with it on my coarse beard.

Brother TobyC, thanks for the pictures. I concede. The clincher for me was one handle has a female thread and one handle has a male thread. It's hard to argue against such evidence.

Handles aside, I personally still prefer the appearance and the performance of the Star DE to the post war Gillette Tech. However, I've never had a pre-war Tech. I ordered one last night and I'm looking forward to shaving with it on my coarse beard.

All is well my friend. :thumbsup: The small handle isn't as common as the fat handle, I think most folks are unaware of it.

I think the pre-war beats it, but the difference is small, I like 'em both! :thumbup:

Lots of good info on this thread and the linked thread provided. So I have a gold Star and that means it has a zamak head? Seems like that means the head could go at any time. I have some Old type heads so I can swap. The Bakelite version has a aluminum head on it?

Top Bottom