What's new

Soy un perdedor (Lover Of Single Edge Razors)

Does anyone know if either the Ever Ready shovelhead (1924) and/or the Gem G-bar were sold under the Star brand?
Can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure they weren't. I'm only aware of the 1912 under the star name. And I recall a post wayback about an Ever-Ready version of the G-bar, but that's it. I'm pretty sure the Star brand was no longer being used on razors that late in the game.

a Maybe it is the stupid name.

It's lighthearted.... if folks have an issue with the name, they're taking it all a bit too seriously. I think it's funny.

I know that the single edged Star was gone in the US before World War II, but in the UK, it lasted at least into the late 1940s as a single edge (and a double edge as well). I never read about an Ever Ready G-bar.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I want to Join . I read the very first post of this thread and could have changed the Original Posters Name To Graydog
He had the same journey that I had, Dad's Razors and all (my dad's razors where different ) and I just started Vintage SE Shaving about 3 weeks ago and have started to accumulate about 12 Vintage SEs . So far I love 1912s the way the shave and The way they talk to you is amazing. My DEs are all most all Vintage Gillette Open Comb NEWs , and I still ;ove the way they shave too. So a lot of shaves I use 2 razors 1 DE and 1 SE, it make shaving a little more FUN:thumbup:
View attachment 659213

I have recently started exploring SEs more. I have been using Injectors for a while, but had not tried any other SE razors. In the last week I have started trying out several of the GEM line of razors: Clog-Pruf, MMOC, G-Bar, Push Button. They have all been great shaves. I also have a Bullet Tip, a 1912-style GEM, a 1912 GEM Junior, and several new Injectors to try. These are great tools, and while I will probably still shave mostly with DE razors, I love my SEs and will be keeping them in rotation. I will have to try some of the modern day SE razors at some point.

I think this makes me a LOSER too.

Oh, and my favorite non-Injector SE so far... the G-Bar. That thing is just fits easily in the hand.

Last edited:
This group definitely needs a bump! Love my SE's, despite my initial misgivings. I didn't think I would take to them at all, alas I have fallen for them and discovered the closest shaves I've ever encountered.

$IMG_2251.jpg

I have been bitten by this bug recently. I have obtained a GEM Featherweight and think it's great. I have also obtained a GEM 1912, which was heavily tarnished. I look forward to using it after getting it polished.

What blades do all of these wonderful razors use. According to Maggard, the Feather FHS-10 blade fits the Valet, but what about the others?

Single edge razors is a broad category. Unlike DE razors, there are at least 6 common blade types:

Gem style SE blades - today these are most commonly used today in box cutters and paint scrapers, but blades with a shaving quality edge are still readily available. Used by Gem, Ever-Ready, Star and Treet razors.

Injector blades - used by Schick. PAL and Personna injectors as well as the new Single Edge by Supply Provision.

Feather FH10 blades - used by the Valet Auto-Strops and more recently by the OneBlade.

Feather Artist Club style blades - extremely sharp and the blade of choice for most modern SE razors such as the Asylum Rx, ATT SE1/2, Cobra, etc. Similar to an injector blade except longer.

Wedge blades - the first single edge blade, actually hollow ground, it resembles a section of a straight razor blade and is meant to be honed and stropped. Used by a variety of razors from the late 19th century until the 1950's, such as lather catchers, Rolls, Darwin, Rapide, etc. There are several different types and they are not interchangeable.

DE blades - There are a few razors that use a double edge blade and present one edge at a time - the Shake Sharp, Golf 71. There is at least one razor (the Rocnel) that uses a doubled edge blade broken in half.

In additon, there have been many single edged razors over the years that have used proprietary blades designed specifically for that razor. Since the blades are no longer available, these are of interest primarily to collectors, although some wet shavers have figured out creative ways to use modern blades.

This variety of blade types is one reason that there is a much greater variety of singie edge designs than DE.

--Bob

Thanks for the information spidey9. I was aware of the modern AC types as well as the Schick injectors (First new razor I ever shave with in about 1972), but the other vintage designs were confusing me.

This group definitely needs a bump! Love my SE's, despite my initial misgivings. I didn't think I would take to them at all, alas I have fallen for them and discovered the closest shaves I've ever encountered.

View attachment 699823
When I was in college, about 15 years ago, ASR was still sending out Contour razors for $1, so I sent for one. A fellow student asked to borrow a razor, and I lent him the Contour. When he returned it, he said it was the best shave he ever had. In my opinion, nearly all of the ASR SEs are terrific. My favorites are the 1906 Ever Ready open lather catcher and the 1904 Gem lather catcher.

I have several SE's. MMOC, Bullet Tip, G bar, featherweight, General, Hawk, and one with the same head as the G bar with a black handle.

I get BBS shaves from anyone of them, but they are not as smooth as BBS shaves from my DE's. No irritation or blood loss from either. They will not be dethroning the DE's any time soon.

When I was in college, about 15 years ago, ASR was still sending out Contour razors for $1, so I sent for one. A fellow student asked to borrow a razor, and I lent him the Contour. When he returned it, he said it was the best shave he ever had. In my opinion, nearly all of the ASR SEs are terrific. My favorites are the 1906 Ever Ready open lather catcher and the 1904 Gem lather catcher.

IMO most modern razors are no better than the best of the antiques from prior to WW2. I have several of the old lather catchers, Gem Junior and Star as well as European wedge blade razors from Henckels, Ostaso and CV Heljestrand. Used with modern Gem SS PTFE blades they all give outstanding shaves. I think in the SE category of razors the Henckels Rapide and CV Heljestrand razors are my favorites. Efficient shavers with no blood or irritation so far.

Top Bottom