What's new

Soy un perdedor (Lover Of Single Edge Razors)

Cicatero, that is a very nice Gem Triumph set, I have one just like it. That set sold for $1 in the mid 20's, very nice to have one that belonged to a family member.

Heres some pics of my SE gear,

GEM 1912:

$7146405667_e8a0a54b36_b.jpg

$7146402985_8d6307212f_b.jpg

$7000314770_45df04a987_b.jpg

And because you asked...
of the girlfriend. :001_tt2:

Heres a pic of my girlfriend and I:

$7146393737_b2c70623cc_b.jpg

Thanks for the actual name HT, I kind of figured it was a travel set because it's so compact.

For a buck, Gem had Gillette totally beat on price, I saw a 1924 magazine ad that had the comparable gold Gillette Tuckaway going for six bucks, real money back then!

And heres a case I have (with blades) that I need a razor for; correct me if I'm wrong; but I THINK this case held an OCMM...

either way; i need to find the razor that goes in this case whatever it is!

$7146395747_59e2f8a13f_b.jpg

$7146398963_461ba54d58_b.jpg

And heres a case I have (with blades) that I need a razor for; correct me if I'm wrong; but I THINK this case held an OCMM...

either way; i need to find the razor that goes in this case whatever it is!

View attachment 241480

View attachment 241481

$100_0708.jpg

I believe you are correct sir!

I think this case was thrown in a junk drawer and banged around for 3-4 decades, though I don't think the razor was used much. Note the one edge rusted on the one used blade.

That "compels you to use the master barber's stroke" line seems a bit presumptuous and bossy to me. :euro:

Last edited:
The 1912 is my favorite razor and the models with round handles are my favorites of the favorite, that's one reason I like that one so much.

Thanks for the actual name HT, I kind of figured it was a travel set because it's so compact.

For a buck, Gem had Gillette totally beat on price, I saw a 1924 magazine ad that had the comparable gold Gillette Tuckaway going for six bucks, real money back then!

It's the boxes and cases...metal, wood, velvet lined and gold labeled. Those classic little containers that tell the story...like the well-designed cover of a best-seller.

A gentleman's razor case that holds the finely crafted tool that he will leave to his grandson. This is the outer face of old-style shaving...and lifestyle.

What have we done to that way? Can we get it back? Are we trying to by returning to that once good way?

There's more to this old fashion shaving then we may consciously know...but something calls to us..makes crazy to acquire more and more of the magic tools of the past.

I feel it. Do you?

$2012-04-29_12-29-20_522.jpg

I totally agree. I think some of us are just called to the past when men were men and women were ladies. Good home cooked meals were set on a table and men and women took pride in their hygiene. People seemed to care more about taking care of themselves and each other. Care and pride was taken in every item that was considered for everyday use. We now live in the age of the disposable everything grab and go. People do not care..here I find that most of us take pride in ourselves and enjoy the beautiful details in craftsmanship. Funny how getting a new or vintage piece can bring so much joy. Sharing with others who appreciate that can make things so much more wonderful.

It's the boxes and cases...metal, wood, velvet lined and gold labeled. Those classic little containers that tell the story...like the well-designed cover of a best-seller.

A gentleman's razor case that holds the finely crafted tool that he will leave to his grandson. This is the outer face of old-style shaving...and lifestyle.

What have we done to that way? Can we get it back? Are we trying to by returning to that once good way?

There's more to this old fashion shaving then we may consciously know...but something calls to us..makes crazy to acquire more and more of the magic tools of the past.

I feel it. Do you?

View attachment 241494

Gosh, it looks like she's slugged you and you're heading for the floor. But I should have noticed the dance floor. (duh:letterk1:)

I love my SEs, especially my Gem Junior with the megaphone plastic handle. It amplifies the sound of whisker cutting.
$gem10.jpg

How about COSER, Champion Of Single Edge Razors? The acronym doesn't HAVE to be a real word, does it? After all, I'm a member of the BOTOC. What is a BOTOC anyway?

What say you, gents?

I am currently enjoying my DE journey which started only last month. However... all the SE love has got me very curious.

WARHAWK

I totally agree. I think some of us are just called to the past when men were men and women were ladies. Good home cooked meals were set on a table and men and women took pride in their hygiene. People seemed to care more about taking care of themselves and each other. Care and pride was taken in every item that was considered for everyday use. We now live in the age of the disposable everything grab and go. People do not care..here I find that most of us take pride in ourselves and enjoy the beautiful details in craftsmanship. Funny how getting a new or vintage piece can bring so much joy. Sharing with others who appreciate that can make things so much more wonderful.

+1 Very insightful and eloquently stated, April!

Hmmm....maybe if there is enough interest in this thread we can get both SE and OC sub forums.....there is enough love out there for both....and the users are very zealous over their love!!

Think the name sounds better in French......Amant de bord simple des rasoirs....

Ken, tu parles francais, monsieur! Et oui, cela sont tres bien en francais!

I am currently enjoying my DE journey which started only last month. However... all the SE love has got me very curious.

WARHAWK

If I would have known what I know now about how great an SE shaves, I may have never had such DE RAD. For a very low start up cost a person can get a very nice user grade SE ($10-15), and a pack of the Personna GEM blades from Walgreens for about $6.00 and give it a try.

I would recommend any of the 1912 variants, as the are effective, mild, and provide great audio feedback.

I am very close to getting rid of every DE Razor that I own except for the a few of the open combs and the Parker 97R, as I really have come to love that head (similar to the EJ DE89).

Top Bottom