What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" September 12th - September 18th, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
After showering:

Pre-shave: Shave Secret
Razor: Edwin Jagger (EJ) DE89
Blade: Big Ben (1)
Brush: RazoRock Chubby Extra Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush with Olive Wood Handle
Soap: Italian Barber’s Amici
Water: Cold
Alum Block: Yes, with virtually no sensation at all.
Post Shave: Thayer's Witch Hazel with Aloe
Aftershave Balm: Nope
Aftershave: Italian Barber’s Amici
Result: Apparently, looking forward to retirement hobbies, Big Ben has been taking a little time away from his day job as a clock to work on his night moves, and honing his craft. This has to be one of them most comfortable BBS shaves I have ever had. The blade was so efficient that I could have stopped after just two passes and some cleanup, and stunningly, the alum block yielded virtually no sensation at all. What a phenomenal shave and my face feels awesome!

$SOTD - 2016-09-18 - Original.jpg

Thanks [MENTION=107139]ronweston[/MENTION], that one turned out well. I've got Achilles on deck for next shave. I wish there were a Hercules scent. I dunno what it'd smell like, maybe an overpoweringly strong and longlasting major notes of gunpowder, bourbon, tobacco, and maybe light hints of cedar and/or mahogany.

As for everyone else, this weekend's photos were smashing.
Sunday 18 September 2016

[rl]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-mcBRnh09cYY/V96IfTZfvHI/AAAAAAAAPlE/xgO1mNVFIRQIvn2LGssyjEz4Cnbzw_YZACL0B/w969-h727-no/SOTD-18092016.jpg[/url]

Mastro Livi "Rasoio Italiano" Stainless Damascus, 8/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point

When you shave with a Mastro Livi razor, you know you are not simply shaving, indeed you realize and know you are enjoying a masterpiece of art, technique, craftsmanship and talent. This is the case of this straight razor made of genuine artisan martensitic stainless steel damascus made by Mastro Livi in his laboratory and by using artisan techniques only. This damascus is in fact made of martensitic stainless steels, something not to easy to make by using artisan techniques. Scales, too, are fascinating as they are made from African black ebony with precious inserts of jade, white turquoise and coral - forming the Italian flag - and a middle plate made of fossil mammoth ivory. A tribute to Italy, of course, and the magnificent artisan tradition of my country. I am also liking the new Mastro Livi shave brush range, including this best badger brush which is very good in mounting lather. As for soap, I used one of the very best around - Martin De Candre - with a lovely and fascinating Mediterranean fragrance to which I coupled my favorite aftershave and, in my opinion, one of the most effective ones: Floïd mentolado vigoroso. What a shave!​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Martin De Candre
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Best Badger, African Black Ebony Handle, 24mm knot
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "Rasoio Italiano" Stainless Damascus, 8/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso

You're about to make me spend what I'm guessing is the equivalent of a case of 9mm ammunition on one of those razors. Can't seem to find them, though. My wallet simpers on the nightstand, anticipating the beating it's about to take...

Last edited:
Sunday

'63 Slim Adjustable
Perma-Sharp Super (3)
Col. Conk Badger Brush
Proraso Red Cream
Skin Bracer AS

Last edited:
Late last night (or early this morning, more like) after a shower.

soap: First Canadian Barbershop Taper Fade
bowl: earthenware bowl by a local potter
brush: Semogue 620 - still breaking it in
razor: Fendrihan Scientist
blade: new Feather Hi-Stainless - my first non-Wilkinson blade ever, from a sample kit
aftershave: L'Oreal Hydra-Sensitive aftershave (no alcohol)

Last edited:
SOTD, Sunday, September 18th, 2016, on the road
Shower
QCS green Irish tweed shave soap prelather, rinse, relather
Simpson Wee Scot badger brush
Gillette Flexball + Fusion cartridge
Cool washcloth rinse
Pinaud Lime Sec aftershave
Sorry, no pic today!

But, special thanks to Ron and others, for nice comments and stirring up activity all week!

SOTD, Sunday, September 18th, 2016, on the road
Shower
QCS green Irish tweed shave soap prelather, rinse, relather
Simpson Wee Scot badger brush
Gillette Flexball + Fusion cartridge
Cool washcloth rinse
Pinaud Lime Sec aftershave
Sorry, no pic today!

But, special thanks to Ron and others, for nice comments and stirring up activity all week!

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

SUNDAY SOTD ::::: September 18, 2016

Prep: Hot shower with Anthony Logistics Facial Scrub
Pre-shave Oil: Black Diamond Shaving Co.
Soap: Frankensoap (various mixed samples)
Brush: Savile Row 3124 silvertip 24mm
Razor: Rockwell 6s (plate 6)
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (7)
Post Splash: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
After Shave: Pinaud Clubman

$2016-09-18-14-43-49.jpg

Start of Cream Week and the Speicktember Shave

$tmp_8777-0918162152~2~2-1523690901.jpg
Razor: Lord Tech
Blade: Treet Carbon Steel
Brush: Stirling 26mm Synthetic (Facelather)
AS: Witchhazel/Nivea ASB/Pitralon Classic

Not as smooth a shave as I would have liked... The Treet was a bit rough.
Lets see what it does on its second shave and in a different razor..

Hope you have a good Start to the week...

It's been a grand week with excellent photos and text posts of spectacular SOTDs, gents.

I wish to thank each of you for your contributions. It is a real pleasure to drop by during the day and marvel at the photos and read a text and think "Wow, that was a shave!"

@Dagwoodz - Like the scales on the Dubl Duck, Josh. Been meaning to ask, how's the Baume.be pre-shave? Used their cream?
@skypsyd - Quite a reverential photo, Dave.
@gemini68j - Nice angle of the shot. Very good photo.
@shm - High standard as usual, Søren!
@UngerWoo - Good looking brush handle.
@Quink - Talk about a bargain bowl! Quite a luxurious lather.
@Cash_Stronomer - Love the shadowed foreground. Great scenery!
@razorguy - A magnificent shave! Thanks for the details.
@120inna55 - Thanks for the assessment of Cuero Oscuro, Matt. I'll keep an eye out for it. Very nice picture. Love the Star SE.
@eezee - Looks like a great shave. The more I see the Fat the more I know I need to pull the trigger.
@Doug57 - How was the Trumper Coconut Oil shave cream, Doug? I've only used a small sample of Trumper Sandalwood.
@Bobcat - Seeing the Mistero reminded me that I wanted to try it so I just ordered a tub from the UK. Thanks, Bob.
@doc47 - Like that POV, Dan. Love the bottle.
@lindyhop66 - Great subdued colors, especially the reflection on the blade.
@blzrfn - Neat shot! The wet pavement and droplets on the brush and razor are a standout. That's a great looking Schick.
@cmh737 - Fine array, Chris. Great color coordination. Lovely brush.
@PACO GALAN - Glad you liked the Gibbs shave. It is definitely a cool looking razor.
@blexa - Nicely aligned shot. Looks like an excellent shave.
@Hanover - The color accent is spot on, Mark. Spectacular photo. Nice shave too.
@Jnatcat - How was the Old Spice soap?
@DabblinRazors -Good to see you liked the Big Ben. A lot of shavers seem to dislike them. The BB shaves I've had have all been great.
@Quink - Very good effects. The photo has an old fashioned feel about it.

Tomorrow starts a new week for SOTD with a new ... theme. I'll be closing this thread soon and opening the new one.

Looking forward to what your creativity brings to the fore, gentlemen.

Last edited:
It's been a grand week with excellent photos and text posts of spectacular SOTDs, gents.

I wish to thank each of you for your contributions. It is a real pleasure to drop by during the day and marvel at the photos and read a text and think "Wow, that was a shave!"

@DAGWoods - Like the scales on the Dubl Duck, Josh. Been meaning to ask, how's the Baume.be pre-shave? Used their cream? @skypsyd - Quite a reverential photo, Dave.
@gemini68j - Nice angle of the shot. Very good photo.
@shm - High standard as usual, Søren!
@UngerWoo - Good looking brush handle.
@Quink - Talk about a bargain bowl! Quite a luxurious lather.
@Cash_Stronomer - Love the shadowed foreground. Great scenery!
@razorguy - A magnificent shave! Thanks for the details.
@120inna55 - Thanks for the assessment of Cuero Oscuro, Matt. I'll keep an eye out for it. Very nice picture. Love the Star SE. @eezee - Looks like a great shave. The more I see the Fat the more I know I need to pull the trigger.
@Doug57 - How was the Trumper Coconut Oil shave cream, Doug? I've only used a small sample of Trumper Sandalwood.
@Bobcat - Seeing the Mistero reminded me that I wanted to try it so I just ordered a tub from the UK. Thanks, Bob.
@doc47 - Like that POV, Dan. Love the bottle.
@lindyhop66 - Great subdued colors, especially the reflection on the blade.
@blzrfn - Neat shot! The wet pavement and droplets on the brush and razor are a standout. That's a great looking Schick.
@cmh737 - Fine array, Chris. Great color coordination. Lovely brush.
@PACO GALAN - Glad you liked the Gibbs shave. It is definitely a cool looking razor.
@blexa - Nicely aligned shot. Looks like an excellent shave.
@Hanover - The color accent is spot on, Mark. Spectacular photo. Nice shave too.
@Jnatcat - How was the Old Spice soap? @DabblinRazors -Good to see you liked the Big Ben. A lot of shavers seem to dislike them. The BB shaves I've had have all been great. @Quink - Very good effects. The photo has an old fashioned feel about it.

Tomorrow starts a new week for SOTD with a new ... theme. I'll be closing this thread soon and opening the new one.

Looking forward to what your creativity brings to the fore, gentlemen.

Thanks for the kind words... :w00t:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom