What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" January 2nd - January 8th, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine early afternoon shave. Ready for Surf & Turf with my better half, she loves seafood...

$IMG_0134.jpg

1. Option Five razor w/Crystal blade
2. WSP Formula T Barbershop
3. Omega boar 81052
4. Thayers Witch Hazel Medicated
5. Nivea shave balm
6. Fine Platinum AS

Off to dinner we go.... Enjoy your Sunday Gents, and the woman that stands by your side....:thumbup1:

Razorock Plissoft Monster
Sultan's Original Shave Soap
Schick Krona/ Schick Super Stainless (vintage)
l'Occitane Baux ASB
L'Artisan Dzing

SOTD Sunday, January 8, 2017...

Shaving Soap: Williams Mug
Brush: Grampa's Brush (I think its Boar, not sure who made it, does anybody have any thoughts?).
Razor: Merkur 23C.
Blade: Shark Super Chrome (2)
Head Cartridge Razor: Gillette Sensor Excel (6)
Post1: Naturally Fresh Alum Block
Post2: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel
After Shave: Old Spice

Yesterday was my Grandmother's funeral, she was 87 years young. My Mom and Aunt went through her house this week and they found Grandpa's shaving brush (he passed 16 years ago) and gave it to me. I used her glass bowl as a shaving bowl and it worked well (and I will add it to my bowl rotation). I used Williams Mug because I figure that's what he would have used back in the day. I finished it off with Old Spice because "If Grandpa hadn't worn it, then I wouldn't exist" ;)

http://i.imgur.com/gCULez0.jpg
Very nice bud, that will be a very fine and thoughtful shave. Now you will always have a piece to remember them by.

@Smooth Steve - How did the Godrej shaving round perform, Steve? I've only tried their creams.

@Smooth Steve - Accomplished high angle pic, Steve. Like the arc arrangement.

Thank you Ron.

As for the Godrej, I really enjoyed it. I did a full review in the Soaps section of the forums. I am terrible and realize I misspelled it as Godrey - but I think most will realize it is just my terrible spelling! Oh well, life goes on. I must say I was very surprised.
Steve

SOTD, Sunday, January 8th, 2017

Shower + Musgo Glyce face lather and rinse
Alvarez Gomez Agua de Colonia Concentrada shave cream, splash and cologne
Simpson badger brush
Feather Artist Club folding straight razor + Proguard blade

Hoping everyone has enjoyed the weekend!

proxy.php

You know how to start the year off with a bang, gentlemen!

Exquisite photographs and thoughtful, to the point, text depictions and commentary were readily evident in the offerings for the first day of the year!

Thanks one and all. You keep outdoing yourselves.

@Smooth Steve - Nice close-in grouping, Steve.
@Ital - Welcome to SOTD, Elias. How do you like the Prep shaving cream and balm?
@782sirbrian - Excellent pic, Brian. Nicely crafted brush -- a real looker!
@alfredus - That's a cute photo. Love the snow globe.
@Clint64 - Great way to start the year, Clint. I think a Timeless is on my list for this year.
@timwcic - Sweet looking shot, Tim. How was the Klar Kabinett?
@razorguy - Fine high angle pic. Love that DIY shave. That is one sexy blade!
@cmh737 - Nicely appointed throwback shave, Chris! Dazzling Flare Tip.
@troy71mo - Unique shave pic, Troy. Neat selection of gins! A bit of the hair of the dog?
@Cash_Stronomer - No shave but a nice concept photo though.
@Jnatcat - Like that lineup, Will. What setting(s) do you used with the Fatboy?
@Bobcat - Top drawer shave, Bob. I see the Light Brigade is still charging quite well. Like the YSL.
@Doug57 - Lovely array, Doug. Sharp blade for the Sharp Dressed Man....
@The Razor - Attractive layout.
@ram57 - Beautiful portrait. The type of shave to put a bit of glitter on the day!
@Antique Hoosier - Superb shot, Mike. Love the angle on the razor.
@blzrfn - Deep, rich colors make this pic a standout, Dave.
@lindyhop66 - Nice alignment in the grasses.
@Dagwoodz - Smart presentation, Josh. Like the shape of those scales.
@Rxdude - Accomplished b&w with selective color. Impressive razor.
@doc47 - Superlatve arrayment, Dan. Love that brush.
@PACO GALAN - Elegant photo. Point-on display and excellent softened background.
@skypsyd - A real eye-catcher, Dave. The scales and brush handle are sooooooo striking!!
@EzraCobb - First-rate setup, Jamie. Like those razor close ups. How do you like the long comb?
@mcdig - Great POV, Mark. The Doug Korn brush is really a stunner!
@evnpar - Wonerful casual arrangement. That blade makes a statement.
@GlazedBoker - What a fine twilight shot, Gus! The composition is excellent.
@readyz - Fine looking layout, Zalan.
@Sdm84 - Good to have you back, Owen. Haven't lost your touch I see.
@cruise_bone - (1) Like the perspective on this shot. (2) Glad to hear about the soap; it's on my short list.
@eezee - Your photos alway seem to be calling out: yeah, this is a good one; you need to try it....
@CT23 - Neat cushion for your elements, Chris. Tantalizing shave.
@Theyack - Excellent concept, Dave! Love the mirror imagery and the framing of each. Vibrant colors!
@120inna55 - Two superb photos for the price of one AND a quality, knowledgeable evaluation ... what's not to like!! Great job, Matt!

Time to shuffle off this evening, gents. See you soon.

Thanks Ron!

Razor: Gillette MM
Scuttle/Bowl: DB Bill Bowl
Soap: Mama Bear Aged Spice
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 Best
Aftershave: Old Spice
Balm: Neutrogena
Talc: Old Spice

$IMG_5955.jpg

SOTD 1/8/17

Thiers Issard 5/8
WSP Starbucks (Rustic Formula)
Georgetown Pottery G12
Simpson M7 (manchurian)
Thayers Cucumber
Fine Snakebite

Not pictured is the stypic used to stock a small nick i gave my ear!! who knew 1mm cut could be such a pain to stop bleeding...

$1-8-17.jpg

Saturday proved to be no slouch in the excellence department. Wonderful photos and written descriptions were evident in every post.

Thank you, gentlemen. Each of your contributions is most graciously appreciated.

@Rxdude - Excellent presentation.

Thanks Ron......feeling better I hope?

Proraso Green Pre/Post
Ever Ready 300PBT with 22mm Maggard Black Fiber Synthetic Knot
L&L Grooming DarkFall
GEM Micromatic Open Comb / Gem stainless steel PTFE (5)
Thayers Superhazel with Proraso Green Pre/post Followed by Proraso/Osage Rub splash

proxy.php

Thank you Ron.

As for the Godrej, I really enjoyed it. I did a full review in the Soaps section of the forums. I am terrible and realize I misspelled it as Godrey - but I think most will realize it is just my terrible spelling! Oh well, life goes on. I must say I was very surprised.
Steve

I'll check out your review. I watched a couple of lather videos on the Godrej. Each was different in approach with somewhat conflicting results. I just may have to get a puck.

The Calypso shave cream was a custom blend he did for me but all it is his Bay Rum, straight Pimenta Racemosa and I had him add a small dose of menthol. He mixed it perfectly as it a light cool feeling on the face but the Pimenta Racemosa is prominent. Both the aftershave and cream the aroma hangs for some time and Al's cream explode with small amount of water. Doesn't have the extra smooth post shave feel as others but it is an excellent shave cream.

That sounds great.

1. shower
2. crown king prickly pear menthol jelly
3. proraso with a razor rock synth, awesome brush for creams. used a fine bowl to whip it. great bowl.
4. gillette slim twist. recent vintage buy and i just love this, not sure why but i like it better than my knack?
5. new personna med prep, great sharp blade for mild razor.
6. thayers lemon
7. cvs brisk... for me its better than skin bracer, much more powder scent and more menthol. i just love knock off after shaves..

Last edited:
Thank you, Ron, for your kind comments!

Yes, I found the handle on the Fatip Retro to be comfortable to shave with, surprisingly so. Despite its elegant, but somewhat slippery appearance it provided a comfortable and sure grip. The ball end is a handy pinkie rest which feels good too.

:001_smile

Thanks, Phil. That's good to know. I'm thinking about buying another Fatip and the Retro is one I'm considering.

$20170108_sotd.jpg
Pincel de Barba Semogue Excelsior Texugo 2015
I Coloniali Crema Da Barba Per La Rasatura all'Olio di Mango
GEM MicroΜatic Open Comb Safety Razor Set with Bakelite Case & GEM Stainless (3)
I Coloniali Dopobarba Idra-Riparatore

---
Πάντοτε Χαίρετε! Always rejoice!

SATURDAY SOTD ::::: January 7, 2017

Prep: Hot shower w/Nivea Men Original Moisturizing Face Wash
Pre-shave Cream: Proraso Green
Soap: Cella
Brush: Semogue 620 Superior Boar 21mm

Razor: The Shave Market custom DE
Blade: Voskhod (3)
Post Splash: Thayer Lemon Witch Hazel
After Shave: Murray & Lanman Florida Water

Click here to view quoted image.

nice shave, love the razor (i am a black beauty fan and that has that look). also, wonderful tile work. very rustic looking....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom