Brush: Simpson Colonel X2L in Best
Razor: Dubl Duck Goldedge 11/16"
Bowl: The Shaving Place Mountain Blue Glaze lather bowl
Post-shave: alum, cold towel, Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Fine American Blend AS Splash
Album of the Day: Mumford and Sons - Sigh No More
Song of the Day: Sigh No More
View attachment 684498
not good...so after actually sleeping, I tried again...

Prep: hot shower, Lucky Tiger Facial Scrub
Pre-Shave: Baume.be Preshave Gel, hot towel
Soap: TOBS Grapefruit and Coconut creams
Brush: Razorock "Big Bruce" Plissoft synthetic
Razor: '53 Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Personna Med Prep (3)
Bowl: The Shaving Place Mountain Blue lather bowl
Post-Shave: alum, cold towel, Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
Aftershave/Fragrance: PAA The Beach Aftershave & Cologne
Album of the Day 2: The Killers - Hot Fuss
Song of the Day 2: Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
View attachment 684500
Much Better! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Last edited:
$image.jpg

Razorock Plissoft synthetic
Czech and Speake Number 88 Shave Soap
Rocket HD/ Derby
George F. Trumper Coral Skin Food
Czech and Speake Number 88

Fantastic Week all the way around everyone:thumbup:

S.O.T.D. Sunday 28 August 2016

Brush: "Davy" 24.5mm TGN Finest Bulb
Soap: Fine Green Vetiver
Razor: 6/8 GENCO Next
Post: Fine Green Vetiver and C.Y.H.B. Devotion Dry Oil & Beard Balm

Wishing you All a Spectacular Week Ahead my Friends:thumbup:

proxy.php

Van Yulay - Soap Of The Gods "Puros La Habana (v2)"
Kent V8 (vintage)
Above The Tie S1 | Triad Rolling Hex 316 Stainless
Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum Black (2)

proxy.php

I've been enjoying Van Yulay's soaps routinely since I discovered them almost 3 months ago. In that short time, I've acquired 10 more of their soaps. I've yet to be disappointed. Puros La Habana was the first one I tried. Given its name, I expected it to smell like a cigar, specifically a Cuban cigar. Ultimately, I didn't get that impression. While it was a very pleasant scent, it was more reminiscent of green tobacco leaves and earth with powdery elements. I've used it several times since then, and I love it. I even use the splash on some non-shave days because it smells great, and their splashes feel nice on my scalp.

Van Yulay recently reinvented the aforementioned PLH scent to something completely different and allegedly more accurate to the fragrance of a cigar. They kept the prior green tobacco and earthy scent, renaming it "Durham Green". Therefore, if you have a tub of Puros La Habana purchased before last week, you have something that smells nothing like Puros La Habana today. In the interest of clarity, I'm informally calling it "v2". When I ordered the new PLH last week, they included in my order a label for "Durham Green" to apply to my old tub of PLH.

This scent of the new Puros is, without question, a cigar. The cured tobacco is up front and true, and it's accompanied by a bold smoky spiciness. This is my idea of the perfect cigar scent, and it topples Achilles as my favorite Van Yulay scent.

The manteca/clay formula yields one of the easiest lathers I've ever used. It's very difficult to over-water this soap, but it's not particularly thirsty either. It just has a very wide range of usable phases from thick mounds of yogurt-y cream to dense, slick paintable layers. The density and slickness is never sacrificed. The durability is as good as any other soap I've used, allowing me to lather my whole head for each pass without the slightest threat of breakdown.

The water-based splash, as I stated previously, is good enough to use even on non-shave days, so I certainly wouldn't skip it for the shave. However, the post-shave feel from Van Yulay's soaps are stellar without any help.

About 2 hours later, the dry down from the splash is prominent tobacco, but the smokiness is replaced by a muted sweetness that compliments the soap quite well. If you're a fan of tobacco soaps, you must try Puros La Habana (v2).

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
[MENTION=58087]blzrfn[/MENTION] , This pic is growing on me
[MENTION=74779]eezee[/MENTION] , I'm never sure whether you're in the cage of outside of it.
[MENTION=104921]Doug57[/MENTION] , nice looking blade
[MENTION=89999]skypsyd[/MENTION] , Are you on vacation again? Arizona looks different LOL
[MENTION=92822]Zipp[/MENTION], is that an aileron?
[MENTION=88907]PACO GALAN[/MENTION]I, "First Class" ... I have to agree
[MENTION=85814]DblD[/MENTION] , How are you enjoying the Panna Blu?
[MENTION=107139]ronweston[/MENTION] , I had no idea you were a fellow veg-man!
[MENTION=91603]nikonNUT[/MENTION] , I like it!
[MENTION=111038]Dagwoodz[/MENTION] , you get 3 months from that shave soap? (hee hee)
[MENTION=105121]TheKushFather[/MENTION] , Floid Blue all the way to the bank
[MENTION=102600]Devonmoonshire[/MENTION] , Looking like a Fine day, sir
[MENTION=86719]120inna55[/MENTION] , I needed that soap and AS yesterday to go with the Havana dark rum I enjoyed

To end a glorious day and an even better week, my pic-o-da-day is [MENTION=111474]Hanover[/MENTION] 's shot!

Thank you all for such a great week of shots!

Last edited:
@ronweston , I had no idea you were a fellow veg-man!

Actually this was my first time trying it. I've haven't thrown the bottle away so it looks like I'm not in the "hate it" corner. I'm going to have to get use to it though. It does pack a wallop and the fragrance lingers. They say it grows on you. I'm willing it give the chance.

@sandstone , feeling blue is not necessarily a bad thing
@ronweston , the mug'n'brush look great together
@alfredus, let me go out on a limb and say I LOVE this shot (oh, I crack me up!)
@Cash_Stronomer , I really don;t know what else I can say about your pics that I haven't already said
@shm , wow, just wow
@Antique Hoosier , old school never gets old
@razorguy , I would soooooo ruin that blade with a single honing. Yes, that quake was horrendous
@Tenergy, a great Sunday shave
@mcdig , nice!
@ClaudioBP , there's something about an AV man!
@Quink , How does that slant compare to the Merkur for shave and finish?
@Hanover, wonderful!
@Red Rider , hard to have a bad shave with da Fat
@doc47 , kewl!
@Sdm84 , Cage rasslin' tag team champs!

Many thanks for your beautiful pictures gentlemen and for your very kind words Sam - I hope you all have a fantastic start into the new week :thumbup:

[MENTION=86719]120inna55[/MENTION] thanks for the great description, I found a bunch of Van's soaps on Amazon, but none of his splashes. You sound like a fellow baldbrah and I've not tried to many splashes on my head. Many thanks!

This was a great week with a lot of great and creative photography, gents!

Thx YourGunshowTix - see you are venturing outdoors for some "historical" pics

@Noire

complimentary colours and set-up . . . :lol:

Thx rockviper . . . a moderator epitomizing colourful fountains of witty compliments - bravo!
. . . much ingenuity from the crew these days - excellent posts again this week!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom