What's new

Songs you thought somebody else sang

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Initially, I thought Wayne Newton was a female.
Yup, I agree.
I also thought this when I first heard it!

Also, a lot of people seem to think that Cat's In The Cradle is a Cat Stevens song. I never thought this (it's Harry Chapin of course) but it seems to be a common misconception.
Guilty of that once!
I used to think Balls to the Wall by Accept was AC/DC.
Me too! Someone told me Accept was still making music.

I thought "On The Dark Side" by John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band was Bruce Springsteen. They were totally ripping off his sound.

Last edited by a moderator:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I thought "On The Dark Side" by John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band was Bruce Springsteen. They were totally ripping off his sound.

Oh, man. I'm pretty sure the whole world thought that at one point. I think I remember hearing The Boss, himself, comment on that sound, saying that he heard it and had to ask someone "is that me?"

Good one!

wow, great thread! I thought Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again was Mickey Dolenz when I first heard it. First time I heard Badfinger I thought it was Paul McCartney. My wife thought that Men At Work "Who Can It Be Now" was Huey Lewis.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
wow, great thread! I thought Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again was Mickey Dolenz when I first heard it. First time I heard Badfinger I thought it was Paul McCartney. My wife thought that Men At Work "Who Can It Be Now" was Huey Lewis.
Definitely can hear Huey!

Dan Hartman's "I Can Dream About You" sounds a lot like Hall & Oates.

I feel the same!

I use to think Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me" sounded like MJ only to discover it WAS MJ.

I use to think Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me" sounded like MJ only to discover it WAS MJ.

This got me wondering about Mott the Hoople and Bowie singing All the Young Dudes. Apparently Bowie only did background vocals in addition to writing the song. But the lead singer (Ian Hunter) sounds soooh much like him, at least in this song. Robin Mayhew (sound guy), in the comments section, states that the vocals are mimed in this vid. So who knows for sure?

Whenever i hear the intro to this one i'm thinking AC/DC but once the vocals come in its no, some other Aussie band, fine by me.

dave

When I first heard Rythym of the Falling Rain by the Cascades I thought it was Rick Nelson. And no, I am not old enough to remember it first run on the radio!

I have the album Blah Blah Blah but have no recollection whatsoever of that song... anyways produced by Bowie so big influence there. Wasn't Ian Hunter (Mott) also recently mentioned as being mistaken for Bowie on All the Young Dudes another Bowie produced (& written) song. Bowie makes his mark although i don't think anything on Transformer was ever mistaken for Bowie. Any other artists he worked with in the role of producer?

dave

Dave, I am not up to speed on the collaborations so can't speak to it.

Another David/Iggy cross pollination was China Girl. Pop wrote and recorded it but Bowie had the hit.

I have that one too, in that case the versions are quite different animals. Iggy did the Bowie version, Bowie did the Nile Rodgers, ultra pop version. Unique and I like them both.

dave

Their voices are a bit different but everything else about Ryan Adams' "Answering Bell" screams Van Morrison.

Top Bottom