What's new

Some advice needed for new wet shaver

I’m new to wet shaving and need some advice. I’ve read up a lot on the forum and did find some useful tips. So here are my questions.

1. What would be the best shaver to start off with regards to aggressiveness.
2. Is there any benefit in using a straight over a safety double edge razor? I’m currently using a double edge razor and I’m reluctant to try the straight as it looks to be a rather steep learning curve.
3. Should I get rid of my shaving foams and only use shaving soaps and if so what are the benefits of using shaving soap over foams? I bought a starter shaving kit online that included a razor, blades, soap, brush, aftershave and pre shave oil. In total everything was $20. I used the soap a few times but it does not seem to provide enough lubrication. The shaving foam seems to work better but it might also be that I bought an inferior product?
4. Do I really need the oil, it just seems to clog up the razor and I don’t really see any benefit of using it.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the board!!

These are just my opinion.

1. You could just start with mild shavers like a Razorock Mission and ramp it up from there. Or just get yourself a Rockwell 6s and try all of the settings and see what you like. Probably cheaper than trying a bunch of different razors in the long run too. You may never need another DE.

2. I used straights exclusivley for a long time and eventually tried a DE. I only have a single shavette now and get equally good shaves as I did with a straight. I can't be bothered to perform the maintenance on a straight. It is fun to learn though.

3. Use whatever you like and what works for you. I never liked the way gel or canned foam felt on my face so I tried soap and a brush and liked it way better. Some people say that the chemicals and propellants in canned foam can cause harm, but who knows.
You may just need to practice lathering this particular soap or try a well known top performing soap and maybe it will be better.

4. If you get no benifit from oils, dont use them. Plenty of dudes don't use oil. Myself included.
I would also guess that if your oil is clogging the razor, you can afford to use less product.

There is no best razor or right way to do things. Having said that a vintage Gillette Super Speed is inexpensive, mild and easy enough to find and try out.

There is no advantage of a straight over a double edge other than it's fun to learn to master. I like shave soap better than canned foam. It works better for me and is more pleasant.

You don't need oil.

You don't even "need" anything other than canned foam and a cartridge razor. Everything beyond that is for increased pleasure/enjoyment.

Welcome ..
With the razor have a look and the Maggard's V3 and your choice of handles. I have the dark chrome version and love it and it's will cost about $30.
Experiment with soaps and stuff you don't need oils or even preshave really. I just rub wet fingers on the soap then on my damp face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all, welcome.

A lot of people start with a relatively mild and inexpensive modern razor such as an Edwin Jagger DE89, Mühle R89 or Merkur 34C. Or you could either buy a modern adjustable such as the Merkur Progress or (better still) buy a vintage Gillette Slim adjustable razor from an online auction. This will allow you to play around with different levels of blade exposure and aggression.

Straights require a longer learning curve and come with a maintenance overhead that DE razors don't have. I would concentrate on one thing at a time and become a confident DE shaver first, then think again about straight razors if they're still attractive to you.

Soaps and creams are better than canned stuff, although the latter have their uses. Cans are more expensive and the products can dry the skin. Learning to lather properly is an essential component of DE shaving IMO: not only is it pleasurable, the action of the brush on the face helps exfoliate the skin, ensure that all the whiskers are protected, and lifts and presents them to the blade. There are plenty of articles on B&B and You Tube videos on lathering techniques.

Shaving is very much a YMMV exercise. If a particular product doesn't work for you, don't use it. Lots of people find that pre-shave oil offers no benefit, so you will be in good company.

Finally, if you've bought a $20 starter kit, you're only going to get very basic products which won't give you good long-term results. I'm sure many of the N American members will be able to recommend some inexpensive products that will give you a step-change in the quality of your shaves, without breaking the bank.

Finally finally - blades. They're the most personal and subjective elements of your shaving set up, so get yourself a sample pack of different blades and work through them methodically, noting the ones you like and don't like, and re-visit a blade every few weeks to see if you like it better as your technique improves.

Most of all, enjoy the journey and be sure to share your progress with us!

Thank you for the welcome and advice. I will look online for the razors as suggested and get some good quality soap. I have already experimented with two types of blades (Lion and Supermax) and I can say that I can feel the difference in the quality of shave between the two (I prefer the supermax blades). I will buy a sample pack as you suggested and work my way through it. I will post my results and progress in due time.

What razor did you get with your starter kit? If it's a reasonable (good enough) quality razor I'd say don't get another until you've got your technique down with that one.

Same with the soap. What is it? There's nothing inherently "wrong" with canned foam, and if you like it and it performs for you, good. Economically they're a terrible choice. They don't last very long because you're mostly paying for propellant. A good soap or cream will give you good lubrication and be good for your skin. And it will last much longer than any canned foam.

What razor did you get with your starter kit? If it's a reasonable (good enough) quality razor I'd say don't get another until you've got your technique down with that one.

Same with the soap. What is it? There's nothing inherently "wrong" with canned foam, and if you like it and it performs for you, good. Economically they're a terrible choice. They don't last very long because you're mostly paying for propellant. A good soap or cream will give you good lubrication and be good for your skin. And it will last much longer than any canned foam.

I have no idea of the make of the razor or soap, no name on either of the two. The quality of the razor does not look bad though and have not had a cut while shaving yet...I get what you are saying with the soap, it will last longer and will be less expensive in the long run. I will try and get my hands on some better quality soap and will see how it goes.

Welcome aboard. In answer to your questions:

1. I generally suggest a medium aggressive razor, something like the Merkur 34HD or the EJ 89 series. These are terrific razors for beginners or experienced shavers IMO.

2. My preference these days is DE because it is, frankly, less trouble. Straights are fun (I used them for a few years). There is definitely more work to keep your kit it good order and the learning curve in a bit steep. If you are interested, you should talk with the guys on the straights forums.

3. You can use whatever products you like! Whatever works is fine. My personal preference is hard soaps. Others like softer soap or. creams and a few here use canned goo. My guess is that your current soap may not be the best.

4. You do not need the oil. Some like them but to me they make little difference.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Welcome to B&B, All of The Guys above have some great advice .
There are many razors to choose from , For Me personally when I got back into
DE shaving I went with a Vintage Gillette Fatboy , it is adjustable and you can dial in what works for you at this time.
Things will change as your technique improves . That was My experience .
Don't be shy about asking questions that is how we all learn.

Thank you for the welcome and advice. I will look online for the razors as suggested and get some good quality soap. I have already experimented with two types of blades (Lion and Supermax) and I can say that I can feel the difference in the quality of shave between the two (I prefer the supermax blades). I will buy a sample pack as you suggested and work my way through it. I will post my results and progress in due time.
Welcome to the top and keep us updated

I can't really add to the great advice you have already received except to tell you to browse the razor blade and DE forums for opinions on blades and razors. The same goes for the soap forum.

Hello and welcome, Linus. Great to have you here.

1. Best Shaver? - try a vintage Gillette Super Speed.

2. Straights can give superior shaves in skilled hands. They require more time to maintain and do have a steep learning curve. Only you know if you are ready for that.

3. Use the foam until it's gone. No need to waste it. Soaps have fewer additives.

4. Skip the pre-shave oil. Not needed for a good shave.

Enjoy!

Welcome to B&B! I found that when you're starting out it is a good idea to work on your technique using the same set-up for a while, i.e. use the same razor, blade type, brush and soap. This will help you get the basics of your technique dialed in. Keep us posted and enjoy the journey! :001_smile

I can report back on some of the blades that I tried.
Lion Super Stainless: Even though the slogan on the packet states "sharp sharp" this might not be the case. I find that they are not that sharp and gave me minor razor burn.
Baili Platinum Stainless: Recieved the blades with my starter kit. I tried the blade only once and had very bad razor burn. The blades are not sharp, or at least not sharp enough for my beard.
SuperMax Super Stainless: Best blade I have tried so far. Very sharp and gave me no razor burn. Currently using the blades until I find something better.

Attachments

• lion.jpg
    lion.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 4
  • baili.jpg
    baili.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 4
  • supermax.jpg
    supermax.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom