What's new

Sole food

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've avoided eating fish for quite a long time. I had a traumatic experience fishing when I was a kid that turned me right off of a food group I previously enjoyed.

My wife quite likes fish and somehow in a valentines day mood I purchased a case of frozen sole nicely wrapped in meal sized portions. (I'm not one to take small steps eh)

So . . . HELP!

What are your favourite meals prepared using this critter?

I love just about any fish with lemon and white wine, with just a little bit of salt and garlic. However, I love seafood, any kind, so you have to take that with a grain of salt.

Sent via mobile - Chris

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Try dredging the filets in flour then dip them in an egg batter, fry in butter, add a splash of white wine, lemon juice and capers, then add a knob of butter until the sauce reaches the proper consistency for a quick filet of sole Francese.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
For a healthier version drizzle on a little olive oil followed by a light dusting of Old Bay seasoning both sides. Place under broiler for about 5 minutes (length of time is dependent upon thickness). Once finished, squeeze lemon juice over the top.

Version 2.

Wrap fillets in foil along with garlic cloves, s&p, lemon slices, olive oil shallots and dill or tarragon.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Season the sole fillets with salt, pepper and powdered garlic. Dredge sole in flour, then egg wash and finally in a parmesan/panko mix. Pat the parmesan and panko into the sole until the mix sticks to the fish. Brown in a large saute pan with butter and olive oil.

A very easy way to enjoy sole is one I grew up with.
Butter a Pyrex dish, lay the filets down in it, sprinkle with white pepper and lemon juice.
Then cover lightly with Italian bread crumbs and put little pats of butter on top.
Stick in a 425-degree oven for about 10 minutes and voilà.

A very easy way to enjoy sole is one I grew up with.
Butter a Pyrex dish, lay the filets down in it, sprinkle with white pepper and lemon juice.
Then cover lightly with Italian bread crumbs and put little pats of butter on top.
Stick in a 425-degree oven for about 10 minutes and voilà.
I'll second the Italian bread crumbs. That stuff works with a lot of foods like fish, chicken and veggies. Often a dip or brush with olive oil then the crumbs and bake.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
David approves.

IMG_3234.JPG

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
"Shell fish, guppy
Shrimp and crab and lobster, flounder
I hate fish, but I think most of all
I hate fresh fish like trout
I hate fresh trout
My least-hated, favourite fish would be sole
That way you don't have to see the eyes
Sole has no eyes."

I made a nice sole dish a few years ago which involved wrapping the filets around 4-5 asparagus spears, baking in the oven until nicely cooked and then covering with a tangerine buerre blanc.

Was I the only one hoping Sole was a typo for Soul? I was sadly disappointed at not seeing a thread full of pictures of Soul Food

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
"Shell fish, guppy
Shrimp and crab and lobster, flounder
I hate fish, but I think most of all
I hate fresh fish like trout
I hate fresh trout
My least-hated, favourite fish would be sole
That way you don't have to see the eyes
Sole has no eyes."

How can this be true? You are surrounded by water holding some of the best seafood in the world. When was the last time you ate fish & chips?

Blackened - Takes almost no time to cook, eat as made or in tacos, sandwiches. Google Blackening Seasoning Mix Paul Prudhomme

Fried - Google Arthur Treachers Fish Recipe

I've heard that you can make gravlax with it, but I've always used salmon.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Was I the only one hoping Sole was a typo for Soul? I was sadly disappointed at not seeing a thread full of pictures of Soul Food

Ha. Sorry. Please feel free to start the soul food thread . . . sounds yummy.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Thinking a foil pouch, lemon, garlic, dill, olive oil, on the grill outside will be a good 1st attempt. The question becomes one of will I just do this for my wife and do a steak for myself or will I . . . gulp. . . . partake of the fish.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Thinking a foil pouch, lemon, garlic, dill, olive oil, on the grill outside will be a good 1st attempt. The question becomes one of will I just do this for my wife and do a steak for myself or will I . . . gulp. . . . partake of the fish.

Only you can answer that question Mike. If you are on the fence, you could have a steak on standby just in case.
Just curious, is it a whole fish or fillets?
What ever receipe you go for will be nice, my only advise is not to over cook it.

Top Bottom