What's new

Society of Injector Shavers (the SISSIES)

The Society of Injector Shavers

(SISSIES)

Introduction - In commemoration of Col. Jacob Schick's inspired invention of the Injector Razor in 1926, this club is established for lovers of what many consider to be the ultimate development of safety razor technology. The Injector Razor went through many years of evolution, culminating in the Schick Type O razor in 2001. While Injector razors are, sadly, no longer being manufactured, there are enough of them available in vintage form to satisfy the needs of aficionados.

The original models (A - C, as classified by Alan G. Appleby) included an internal blade magazine, somewhat like the magazine of a rifle. Col. Schick's goal was to make a razor that was convenient to use and inherently safe because the blades didn't need to be handled by the user. Starting in 1935 with the introduction of the Type D, the internal magazine was replaced with an external injector magazine which simplified the loading of the blade while providing an even higher level of safety. All subsequent models continued the use of the external magazine. Some included the ability to be opened for cleaning, but that increases the possibility of injury from handling the blade, and is really not necessary because the design of the Injector Razor makes it inherently self-cleaning whenever a new blade is injected.

From the D Type in 1935 to the O Type in 2001, the razors underwent continued development and refinement. Schick razors were made in the United States and Canada, but two other Injector Razor manufacturers emerged in the 1950s. They were PAL and Personna, and they had factories both in the U.S. and in the UK. The British factories introduced models that were subtly different than the American ones. In Japan, the Feather Company made their own Injector Razor which was superb, in the tradition of Japanese cutting implements.

Injector Razors are characterized by their ease of use, safety, efficiency, comfort, and long blade life. They are excellent tools, and deserve to be cherished and used, even though they are no longer made. They are still readily available on auction and vintage web sites, and in antique stores and flea markets, at generally inexpensive prices, and the blades are still available on-line and are of extremely high quality. The two current blades are the Schick which is made in China, and the Personna which is made in the U.S. and appears under many different house brands.

Please join me in celebrating one of the high points in shaving history by honoring Col. Schicks invention. An excellent source of information on Schick Injector razors is www.renaldo.us/SchickRazors.php

Membership Qualifications - You must own at least one Injector razor, and you must use it at least occasionally. Additionally, you must make a post on this thread containing the following information:

1. Tell how many Injector Razors are in your stable.

2. Tell the types that you own.

3. Tell what percentage of your shaves are with Injector Razors compared to DEs, SEs, and other types.

4. Say which Injector Razor(s) you like the best, and why.

5. Say which Injector Razor(s) you like the least, and why.

6. Give your conclusions about Injector Razors.

Pics would be nice, but are not required.

This will qualify you to add SISSIES to your signature.

I am a SISSY, and I'm proud of it. Join me and Be a SISSY.

Last edited:
I will add my own post to kick off the campaign. I learned to shave using both DEs and Injectors. I always preferred the injectors because of their ease of use and comfort, and that has stayed with me for the 50+ years that I have been shaving. My answers to the required questions are:

1. I currently have 27 Injector Razors.

2. I have at least one of each of the letters of the Schick alphabet, plus some extras for some of the letters. I have 4 PAL Injectomatics (2 British and 2 American), 1 Gillette Twinjector, 1 Feather Injector Razor, and 2 Personnas (a Floating Head and a British Executive).

3. I use Injectors about 90%, SEs about 9%, and DEs about 1%.

4. I like the Schick Types D and F, and the Feather best. Next come the Schick Types E and G and the PAL Injectomatic.

5. I like the Gillette Twinjector the least because it is such a mild razor that I can't get a good shave with it, even with the Twinjector blades.

6. My conclusions about Injector Razors are that they are the peak of razor development, but were the model for all of the cartridge razors that followed. That was unfortunate, because razors have been in decline ever since.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Clubs and Brotherhoods, you bunch of SISSIES:w00t: Best of luck and if we can be of assistance please do not hesitate to call upon us.

Thanks for joining us here in our little corner of Badger & Blade! Would love to try one sometime

Again Welcome

Aha! A new place to hang out! And a club! Up until now, the only club I belonged to was Sam's Club.:blink:

Here's my requisite posting:

1. I own 4 injectors

2. I have: 2 Type I-2; 1 Type G-1; and one Type E-2

3. I shave with injectors 100%

4. My favorite is the G-1 because it feels like a precision instrument, always shaves smoothly -- and it's my BirthYear razor.

5. Although I love them all, the I-2 seems a little clunky compared to the E and G.

6. The injectors are dependable and smmmoooth shavers. I have no desire to try DE or [shudder] SRs. An injector (Type L) was my first razor (in my youth...) and will probably be my last ("...cold, dead fingers..." and all that...)

I am a Sissy (aka "SchickHead") and I'll wear it proudly!

Last edited:
I have about 15 injector razors.

I have the Schick injector razor Types E, G, I, J, L, and M. I also have a Personna Adjustable injector razor, a Pal Injecto-matic injector razor, and a Personna Super Stainless injector razor.

I use an injector about one-third of the time, and that needs to be increased!

The best for me is the Type G. Perfect aggression and wonderful feel in hand. Honorable Mention: Type I (love the handle in my hand) and Type M Adjustable (dial in your perfect aggression from 8 settings, and a nice head retraction feature for safety and travel).

Least liked for me would be the Type L. A little on the mild side, but doable. Honorable Mention: I don't care for the long handled Type J.

Conclusion: The Schick Injector is the most magnificent shaving machine yet designed by mankind: Smooth! Fast. Nimble. Efficient. Long lasting blades. Inexpensive. Good variety. And interesting looks.

Last edited:
I have always liked Injector razors.

I have three all bought new while I was in high school.

I prefer them in this order:

The model "J" which is what I use the most because I liked the long handle and, I used it a lot in school.

Then, a PAL adjustable which it great because of its extra weight and cool looks (way ahead of its time).
And, what I believe to be a model "G" which is a very nice shaver.

I collect Gillette so I tend to use these DE's 60%, straight razors 20%, SE's 10% and, injector razors 10%.

In my opinion, injector razors are really fine instruments that always provide a close comfortable shave. I tend to use mine more in the warm weather with a menthol shave cream. I am going to increase my overall use percentage.

My personal use injectors are the PAL Injecto-matic and PAL Adjustable. Can a "Palsy" be a "Sissy" as well? If so, I'm in. If not, well, dangit.

As for "the collection," I have all the models up through "M", including the "D" and a couple of "F"s, but not all variation of the "E"s and "G"s. My favorite Schick is the "G". Just the right combination of nimble and aggressive. Much like the Injecto-matic, which gets the edge for my favorite for no other reason that "intangibles."

I also have the Personna "floating head" handle that took the twin blades (plastic blue handle), a Feather injector in a little travel kit from Japan.

For personal shaves, I haven't cared for anything newer than the "G" except the "M" adjustable. All too mild, I suppose.

Personal shave percentages: oh, say, 65% Valet, 20% injector, 10% DE and 5% Weck prep razor. That breakdown varies widely depending on the week and the mood. My injector percentage may be lowish, but the shave quality is always appreciated.

My injectors are the nimblest performers in my shaving menagerie. My favorite blades so far have been the Schick Plus Platinum blades, but for modern blades I favor the Chicks over the Personnas.

Last edited:
Top of the day! Well currently there are 78 injectors in my collection(obsession). I have them from the C through the M. My faves are the D,E-1, E-2 and F. My fave blades--Personna 74's and Dutch Schicks. 100% of my shaves are injector shaves. I also have a couple of Pals and Personna floating heads and Gillettes.I haven't used a de in over 2 years.

View attachment 587328View attachment 587329

Here is a pix of my PAL Adjustable mentioned in my intro post

$photo.jpg

I only own one injector, the 1965 L Type, but it's my daily razor. I am looking aquire more. I have so many blades and would like to try one of the more aggressive models.

I've been told the Chinese made Schick blades are the sharpest. Can anyone else confirm?

I think they are the best of the current manufactures. I just ordered 35 more of them. If you can find any of the Schick plus platinum NOS, they are also quite good.

I think they are the best of the current manufactures. I just ordered 35 more of them. If you can find any of the Schick plus platinum NOS, they are also quite good.

I agree with you on both counts. I do really like the plus platinums. I'm almost out, though. I guess I'd better get on that.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'll tag along. I have used an injector since the sixties, took a yellow handled one to college (lost it there, guessing a Type E of some ilk). I'll count them later, but have at least one Types A through O, save for the specialty women's models H & K which I just never picked up. Have at least three styles of Personna Injectors also. I use an injector maybe 20% of the time these days.

The older "Magazine Repeaters" Types A, B, and C can be shaved with using a modern blade, but are pretty fussy to load up so they say mainly on the side. I use E's sometimes, Types beyond the G seldom, as I haven't found their increasing mildness to be to my liking. My favorite is the adjustable, Type M, and one is always in the ready stand on the sink. Wide open I find it the most efficient of them all. I think the hoard of those is a half dozen.

I'm attracted by the injectors because of the interesting history, but mostly because they offer a great shave that is so easy it almost feels like cheating as someone else once said. I have been acquiring as many Plus Platinum and Personna 74 vintage blades as I can find. If one thing worries about the future of injectors it is the fragility of the blade supply. But I have convinced (by buying a couple packs every couple months) my local mom & pop indie pharmacy to continue to carry the Chicks.

One of the collection is this type F

$IMG_7594.jpg

Blades stash ..

$IMG_7590.jpg

I dunno about this. As Groucho Marx famously said, "I don’t want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."

Nonetheless, I am passionate about all things single edge, and that certainly includes injectors.

I presently have 13 injectors, with one more on the way.

$injectors1.jpg

Schick Injectors: 1-E2, 2-E3,s, 2-G1's (1 NOS in box), 1-I1, 1-I2 (not in picture), 1-L1, 1-M1 adjustable (boxed).

2-PAL adjustables (1 boxed), 1-PAL Injecto-Matic (boxed), 1-Personna.

I also have a British-made PAL Injecto-Matic en route from England.

I use single edge razors exclusively, with injectors popping up in the rotation about once a week or so.

If I had to pick a favorite it would be an E3, which has a nice balance between smoothness and aggressiveness, although I'm still getting acquainted with the E2. I tend to prefer razors on the aggressive side.

I don't much care for long handles, and mild razors aren't particularly interesting to me, so the L1 would probably be my least favorite of the bunch, having a long handle as well as being somewhat mild.

I find injectors to be one of the most efficient types of shaving equipment around, as well as being exceptionally easy to use. In fact, this is possibly the reason that I don't use them more often - it's just too easy. I tend to reach for an injector most often when I'm in a hurry.

--Bob

Gentleman,

My official application to the Order of the SISSIES...

I have currently the following 8 injector razors:

I2-white handle, I-2, black handle, "G-66", L-type (M-type?? I don't really know which) (x2), Golden 500, PAL adjustable, PAL Injectomatic

Very hard to pick a favorite, probably a tie between the "G-66" and the Golden 500.

My least favorite is the PAL adjustable, just never seems to get what I need out of it, on the other hand the Injectomatic is a fantastic shaver.

Wish list: Both the Schick Grip and Stick: the Grip, because Wife and I play tennis, Stick because, my Dad had one growing up. and I want a J-type.

I use the Injectors almost exclusively now. I went back to DE for two weeks just recently (after hanging them up for over 6 months), and I have to say, I am not sure I am going back. Hate to sell them (DE's) but just might...or keep as collectors only...

Injectors are smooth forgiving razors/blades; nary a nick or weeper, and I get (with my wiry growth) a DFS every time! And the blades last seemingly forever, I rotate the shavers daily (yes each has a specific day!!) and I am finally going to change blades today (Last time was the first week of March!! I am luck to get three days from a DE blade)

-Scott

Top Bottom