What's new

Soaps that cause irritation

I love the Soap Commander soaps in general but I seem to have developed an allergy to the Courage variety. This one lists Peppercorn, Citrus and Cedar as notes. I never noticed a problem the first few times I used it but lately whenever I do use it I get noticeable irritation. This is with the same razor/blade combo I normally use without any problem as long as I use a different soap even other Soap Commander soaps. The irritation appears as blotchy red patches especially on my upper cheeks. Looks like I've been out on a bender. I seem to recall reading about cedarwood possibly causing irritation but I've used other cedarwood soaps without problem. Anyone else have a problem with this soap?

Same here. I don't really understand the love fest for soap commander but to each his own. I just don't get the slickness that you get from proraso or even derby or old spice creams and it is like shaving with a beard full of tar when compared clubman soap.

You can be allergic to many different things. Some common fragrance ingredients in soaps that some people have problems with are almond, citrus, and cinnamon. You could also have a reaction to the ingredients in the soap formula itself.

Fortunately for most it's just a particular soap here and there that causes a problem.

I've found that I have a problem with only about five or six soaps of the 500 or so I've tried. So only about 1% of what I try. I do get a reaction from one particular brand (SCS) whenever I use any of their soaps as well, but others can use this brand without any problems whatsoever. What it comes down to for you is trial and error. You have to find which ones work for you and which ones don't. The fact that someone else has a reaction isn't going to tell you how you will react to the soap. The other thing is that our bodies are always changing so you can all of a sudden develop a reaction to a soap that you've used for years without a singe issue. It's just the way we're wired I guess.

Keep in mind that you can also test a soap on your inner forearm if you're not sure if the reaction is from the soap or poor technique since both reactions can produce a similar razor burn type feel.

The cedar was my first though also. I had a reaction to Caties LPV and most attribute it to the cinnamon but I've used other soaps with cinnamon with no issues. Hard to say really, but sounds like it's time to move on from that one.

@D1dad - Interesting - I find Soap Commander quite a bit slicker than Proraso. The tar comment makes me think you are not adding enough water into the lather...?

Good luck!

The cedar was my first though also. I had a reaction to Caties LPV and most attribute it to the cinnamon but I've used other soaps with cinnamon with no issues. Hard to say really, but sounds like it's time to move on from that one.

@D1dad - Interesting - I find Soap Commander quite a bit slicker than Proraso. The tar comment makes me think you are not adding enough water into the lather...?

Good luck!
I've given it many different tries TBH. I've went through almost half the tub which is a lot compared to its size because I wanted to be fair and not have just had an off day. I tried everything from extra thick to extra thin. I mix it up with equal parts of proraso red and it's does very well and the two scents combined are outstanding.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A lot of the 'woody' scents seem to give me a tingle, two MW soaps and the TSN Brutalt Bra SE very slightly.

However, the woody/incense/frankinscense in I Coloniali or L&L Harmony do not.

Hungarian or Bulgarian lavender (Mike's, CRSW Savon #1) seems to do so also while the French/Spanish/English varieties do not. You would not think there would be a difference, but there is.

All of the soaps that have given me a tingle are artisan soaps, no mainstream soaps ever have.

Cheers, Steve

Rose can be an irritant for some. Lavender is very good for sensitive skin but you have to be careful sometimes as things labled as lavender scent are actually scented with LAVENDUM which has the same scent but is significantly cheaper and much stronger and is a common irritant.

There have been certain soaps that irritated my skin, but other scents from the same artisan are just fine. Skin sensitivity can be a strange thing. Plus just because the soap burned for one shave doesn't mean it will if you use it a week later. Many variables and possibilitles.

Not the soaps mentioned, but I discovered I'm one of the 5% of the population allergic to tea tree oil using Stirling's Tea Tree. As in poison-ivy style reaction, with hives, swelling, itching, the works. Resolved in a week after benadryl post-shave, washing and rinsing brush thoroughly, and not going near any tea-tree product again.

Catie's Bubbles LPV gets me. I have no reaction to their other scents but that one puts the hurtin' on me.

Strop Shoppe Teakwood

About halfway through each shave my skin would tingle and progress to outright burning from there. Tried many times and it was the same result many times. Had to turf the soap. It's the only one that's given me issues so far.

Anything from Razo Rock but particularly XXX.

So much so that I had to completely stop using their soaps and sell them off. I found the soap unbelievably drying and my face and neck broke out in itchy redness on the 5 or 6 occasions I used their stuff. I have not experienced the same reaction with the other 80 or 90 soaps I have though.

Interestingly other people have reported irritation and dryness too so I suspect it's to do with their soap formulation or synthetic fragrance.

Anything from Razo Rock but particularly XXX.

So much so that I had to completely stop using their soaps and sell them off. I found the soap unbelievably drying and my face and neck broke out in itchy redness on the 5 or 6 occasions I used their stuff. I have not experienced the same reaction with the other 80 or 90 soaps I have though.

Interestingly other people have reported irritation and dryness too so I suspect it's to do with their soap formulation or synthetic fragrance.
I also get major irritation from XXX soap and splash, but nothing bad from the other RR soaps or splash I tried. I think I'm allergic to oakmoss, as it's the only ingredient present in both that isn't in any other product I use.

Proraso, without fail, has given me irritation every time I've used it. I had a sample of stirling's barbershop scent, whatever was in there irritated the hell out of my entire face, didn't smell that great IMO either, smelled just like baby powder but a little sweet.

Top Bottom