3. C&E Sandalwood
4. C&E Nomad
5. Ogallala Bay Rum
6. VDH base melted with bits and pieces left over from other soaps
7. Old Spice soap early 70's
8. L'occitane Cade
9. Colonel Conk Almond Shaving
10. Williams

I don't know what Old Spice mug you have but Cade doesn't fit in mine. I'm getting ready to go shave it down a bit to fit in then pack in the shavings.

I don't know what Old Spice mug you have but Cade doesn't fit in mine. I'm getting ready to go shave it down a bit to fit in then pack in the shavings.

Yeah, it really does depend upon which OS mug you have. I own two, a late 40's-early 50's ceramic and a newer milk-glass.

Click on the following link for much information regarding OS and their mugs:

http://www.cr8on.com/

The older mug holds pucks the size of VDH quite well. The newer one works for larger pucks the size of something like Tabac.

Like others have said: If glycerine-based, then melt it and pour it into whatever mug you have, or if tallow-based, then you will just have to either trim it or grate it if it is two large

Yeah, it really does depend upon which OS mug you have. I own two, a late 40's-early 50's ceramic and a newer milk-glass.

Click on the following link for much information regarding OS and their mugs:

http://www.cr8on.com/

The older mug holds pucks the size of VDH quite well. The newer one works for larger pucks the size of something like Tabac.

Like others have said: If glycerine-based, then melt it and pour it into whatever mug you have, or if tallow-based, then you will just have to either trim it or grate it if it is two large

Mine is a late 60's-70's mug. And it holds VDH and the like pretty well. But the Cade that I got was about maybe an 3/4 of an inch too big.

I have hear rumors that the Old Spice Vintage soap cake contained lanolin. Is there any validity to this?

JB

I have hear rumors that the Old Spice Vintage soap cake contained lanolin. Is there any validity to this?

Here is a list of ingredients, quoted from an older thread. There is no lanolin. This would have been 1990s packaging, since it calls Shulton "a P&G company". It is possible that some earlier formulation had lanolin, but I think it is unlikely.

It is a 3 ounce shaving soap refill. This is all of the information, as it appears, on the back of the box.

Old Spice
Shaving Mug Refill

Ingredients
Sodium tallowate, potassium stearate, water,
sodium cocoate, potassium tallowate, sodium
stearate, potassium cocoate, glycerin, sodium
chloride, fragrance, titanium dioxide, benzyl
alcohol, trisodium hedta, BHT

3701-400251
Shulton, INC.
Memphis, TN. 38109
A Proctor & Gamble Company

proxy.php

DR Harris Arlington
The edge on the mug ever so slightly curled the edge of the puck as I pressed it in place. The inner lip of the mug was almost sharp before I sanded the milk glass flush with the inner wall.

I've currently got a puck of Tabac in my mug, I had to stick it in the oven for a bit in order to get it properly in the mug though. It's great until you decide you want to try something else and you realise it's in there for good.

Old Spice mug purchase #1 on ebay.... seller dropped mug on garage floor while packaging. Old Spice mug purchase #2 on ebay..... I won the auction but it hasn't shipped yet (keeping my fingers crossed) :wink2: .

Ben

I use a 2 1/2" Col Conk Bay Rum puck and nuke it in the microwave for 20 seconds because someone told me that works. It does, it becomes completely liquified and takes about a half hour to set up. I have not experimented with shorter times. I do it in the evening so it is ready the next morning. This only works on glycerin based soaps. For obvious reasons, it also doesn't work with metal mugs.

I really like the Bay Rum scent. It has been too long since I had a genuine Old Spice puck, but the scent is close enough for me.

Last edited:
Hey fellow shavers im new to the site call me crazy but i just spent $60 on a brand new mint condition still sealed Old Spice Shaving Mug Soap Refill. I havent recieved it yet can anyone tell me how good it smells and how good it works.

Hey fellow shavers im new to the site call me crazy but i just spent $60 on a brand new mint condition still sealed Old Spice Shaving Mug Soap Refill. I havent recieved it yet can anyone tell me how good it smells and how good it works.
\\

You're CRAZY! It works pretty good and should still smell nice if sealed. I wouldn't call it an amazing soap or scent, nor would I pay that kind of money, but you should tell us what YOU think when you try it out.

I got several over the decades and they vary a bit but the Old Spice Colbat Blue 1985 mug is so massive no grading is needed with any Puck of soap!

Top Bottom