What's new

Smoothest Whiskey

Crown Royal Reserve is the smoothest, best-tasting whiskey I've had. Some of the other "standards" in the whiskey world (Jack Daniels, etc.) are just too harsh and not pleasurable to drink. Crown Royal Reserve goes down smooth and easy with just the right amount of kick. :thumbup1:

Is there much of a difference (besides price) in the Crown Royal Reserve you recommend and the regular Crown Royal (without the Reserve)?

For years I was convinced Jack Daniels was the best all around Whiskey. . .
Jack is no longer Jack IMHO since they changed it from 86 to 80 proof. How can you change the recipe of an American icon?

If a smooth bourbon is desired try Basil Hayden.

If you wish to branch out into Scotch (I did and never looked back ;~) try Cragganmore.

Is there much of a difference (besides price) in the Crown Royal Reserve you recommend and the regular Crown Royal (without the Reserve)?

While Crown Royal is a good whisky, the Crown Royal Reserve is, to my palette, measurably better. Is it worth the pricee difference? That's really your call but I personally don't sip Crown Royal anymore.

My choice would have to be Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year. Damn hard to come by, I have been told they only allocate one case for the whole state of Nebraska.

proxy.php

Old Rip Van Winkle Handmade Bourbon 10 years old is also very good, alittle easier to find as well.

proxy.php

If that Van Winkle's is the rye version then +1 :thumbup:

Surpassingly smooth for what sounds like would be a harsh whiskey.

It's my understanding the original proof was 90, which was changed to 86 about 15 years ago.

You are correct. black label was bottled at 90 and green 86. After the first drop I stuck it out with their 86 black / 80 green (seldom sampled) offerings. The initial reduction did not seem as drastic IMO as the Final Cut.

Then in October 2004, it was announced that all generally-available Jack Daniel's products would thenceforth be bottled at 80 proof. Though a one-time limited run of 96 proof, the highest proof Jack Daniels ever bottled, was bottled for the 1996 Tennessee Bicentennial in a decorative bicentennial bottle (which I missed :~( The reason stated for this was that the distillery's marketing had found that customers preferred a lower proof whiskey.

I read more mass market appeal as all true whiskey drinkers I have known will simply reduce content with a little spring water or some rocks.

About to pour a small dram of J. Walker Black now :~D

I just had Blanton's single barrel and ... wow. It's a little sweet, but smooth enough to sip straight up. Lovely stuff.

Last good bottle I had was Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I hope to try their Cask Strength before it becomes cost prohibitive for me. Can not swing my favorite Lagavulin 16 Yr any more :sad:.

I'm a long time Irish whiskey drinker. Both Jameson and Bushmills, though I have to lean toward the Jameson.

Then I discovered Rye whiskey. It is wonderful stuff. For inexpensive stuff I drink either Old Overholt or Jim Beam's Rye (with the yellow label.) If I'm feeling rich I'll pick up a bottle of Sazerac. Sazerac is heavenly.

If all you are looking for is a smooth finish, then Jim Beam Black is my personal best, and it's cheap to boot. I don't always enjoy the flavor, but I could chug this stuff if I felt so inclined. The finish is sort of silky.

I'm a long time Irish whiskey drinker. Both Jameson and Bushmills, though I have to lean toward the Jameson.

Then I discovered Rye whiskey. It is wonderful stuff. For inexpensive stuff I drink either Old Overholt or Jim Beam's Rye (with the yellow label.) If I'm feeling rich I'll pick up a bottle of Sazerac. Sazerac is heavenly.
Will have to try. Thanks :thumbup1:.

Top Bottom