What's new

Smokin' in your vehicle

I noticed, while looking through the POTD thread, that a lot of guys smoke in their car. I know my father smokes his pipe in the car. I only live 4 miles from work, so I don't bother. That, and I ride a motorcycle 9 months of the year. So how many guys here do the majority of their smoking in their vehicle?

Not the majority but if I'm riding somewhere alone I do smoke in my vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With smoking being banned just about everywhere ... smoking in my car is one of the few places I can still enjoy a good puff. Its hard to relax when your employer forces you outside in cold/damp or hot/muggy weather for a 15-minute coffee break, so I walk over to my car and hunker down in there.

While driving, its a good way to pass the time and mark milestones ... for example, I might allow myself 5 cigarettes for a 3 hour drive, and know its time to light up when I cross a certain bridge or reach a given exit.

The only downside is that ashes occasionally go flying, and I get burn holes in the upholstery and carpet ... but that's a small price to pay. It doesn't bother me, and its only a factor at trade-in time, but even so, a dealer is going to screw me over royally on the value of my car, and a few extra holes in the seat covers isn't going to matter much.

I'm a motorcycle guy as well, pretty much year round (don't get anything that could be construed as "winter" around here). My other vehicle is mostly used for driving with my daughter in the car, so...no. If I had a longer commute, and for whatever reason riding was not an option, I might have to reconsider how to make that work.

I'm a motorcycle guy as well, pretty much year round (don't get anything that could be construed as "winter" around here). My other vehicle is mostly used for driving with my daughter in the car, so...no. If I had a longer commute, and for whatever reason riding was not an option, I might have to reconsider how to make that work.
Cornwall rarely gets snow, but my area has a lot of hedges with trees overhanging the road. When the leaves drop and the rain comes, those wet, rotten leaves become more slippery than black ice. The final 1/2 mile to work is a steep hill with grass, gravel, mud and leaves in the winter...but no snow! I do have a car for winter use, but I don't smoke in it. I hold my pipe with the left hand, and I need my left hand for shifting gears!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a longish commute (45 - 75 minutes each way) and would love to smoke in my car, but alas, we're a one-car family so I don't smoke in the family car. I've seriously considered getting a commuter car just so I can smoke during my commute.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've smoked in every car I've ever had...that's why they put ash trays and cigarette lighters in the cars.

But, wife bought a new car a few years ago and they don't put ash trays in them anymore. She bought one of those snuff-out ashtrays about the size of a tall coffee cup and put it in one of the cup holders. But she quit smoking a year or so ago.

I got a new Silverado truck about a year ago and it has a pull open thingy where the ashtrays usually are but it's pretty big...holds a lot of ashes. :001_302:

And the cigarette lighter type "cell phone charger" things in both vehicles won't hold a cigarette lighter in to get hot. The dang anti-smoking zealots have gone too far. I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket vehicle cigarette lighter unit and replacing the charger thingy that's above the "ashtray" in my truck, but I do have a box of matches in the console if my lighter gives out while I'm driving. As far as a pipe...the cup holders in the fold down console in my truck have open spaces between them and it holds a pipe real well.

I ride a Honda Helix 10 months a year, even here in PA. During the other two months, I use my dad's car, and he prefers no smoking in the vehicle.

(Lot of motorcycle riders here...nice!)

How is the Storm Doris treating you by the way Paul? Some power lines went down in my village so had the fire brigade here for a few hours to keep people from trying to drive over them.
It's been a windy day, no more than normal for this time of year. We have even gotten a few sunny spells. We live in a little micro-climate; often the weather is different on the moors than in the surrounding valleys.

I ride a Honda Helix 10 months a year, even here in PA. During the other two months, I use my dad's car, and he prefers no smoking in the vehicle.

(Lot of motorcycle riders here...nice!)
I ride a BMW R1200R...I wanted a bike with ABS brakes and traction control for our Cornish roads and crazy drivers! I wonder how we would go about getting a motorcycle sub-forum going, I bet it would be popular!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I wonder how we would go about getting a motorcycle sub-forum going, I bet it would be popular!

That sounds like it could possibly get some "traction."

Alas, I have been without a functioning scooter for many years now. I do still have my 1972 Yamaha 250 two stroke street bike, but it needs some carb work. No one around here can (or wants to) work on it...They keep saying they can't get parts. But...that was before the internet. I did a search last week and found a place that has a ton of OEM parts for that model. I may have a project going this summer.

I've been considering getting a Suzuki DR-Z400S...probably will in the next couple of months. I have about 11 acres of pasture, with about 1 1/2 acres of trees scattered in it, that would make for a nice little playground. The 400 would be small and light enough to play in the pasture with, but still be big enough to ride the 20 miles in to town, or do the 50 miles on a two-lane highway up to a recreation area in S.E. Oklahoma to ride the trails. I don't think I'd want to take in on the turnpike and do a 200 mile trip though.

Sometimes I miss my old Kawasaki 500 Mach III three cylinder two stroke...that thing was a little crotch rocket.

I smoke my pipe in my Jeep frequently; sometimes while driving, but more often I just like to park in a scenic area, usually down by the local marina so I can watch the boats and sailors. I listen to music and puff happily away. It's one of my chief relaxations.

Top Bottom