What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

an amazing first time shave, i did swap out the handle for something more substantial...

proxy.php

I managed to bag a mint Ever-Ready "Double Special" circa 1909 - strop, stropper and brass/gold 1909 patent Ever-Ready razor; the very patent that was picked up again in 1924 and released as the razor we know as the Shovel Head, or simply: the 1924.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

VERY pleased :D

I managed to bag a mint Ever-Ready "Double Special" circa 1909 - strop, stropper and brass/gold 1909 patent Ever-Ready razor; the very patent that was picked up again in 1924 and released as the razor we know as the Shovel Head, or simply: the 1924.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

VERY pleased :D

Outstanding! Looks fresh off the shelf.

I've noticed that the Ever Ready Man looks less demented in his earlier incarnations.

Haha! He does! I like to think he was so buzzed about the 1912 ... and it showed on his face.

Cheers! Yes, it's very fresh.

Just took delivery of this Gem Open Comb MicroMatic with case after purchasing on an auction site! It is in wonderful condition and the Bakelite case is complete with no cracks or chips. I can't wait to shave with it tomorrow morning!
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

IMG_1194.JPG

This is my first SE razor, a Valet VC2 (I think). Although there was no strop or box, the razor looked in better condition than many currently available, and I won it on a low bid.

I bought some Feather FHS-10 blades but will have to bone up on technique because my first shave this morning was quite rough and inefficient, which I have no doubt is due to my inexperience. Anyway, I'll keep practising and I'm sure the shaves will only get better!

These instructions are for an earlier model Valet, but the angle is the same:

valet1.jpg

Also, there are a few videos on Youtube that may be of help, just search for Valet or Auto Strop razor.

What the mailman brought today all the way from Australia. Gave them a story, no tax.
Since it's a SE acquisition place, disregard the Rockwell 6S.
The Supply provision with all heads. Can't wait to put it through its paces.

Attachments

• DSCF3105.JPG
    DSCF3105.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
I'm brand new to wet shaving (meaning I want to do it, but haven't even started), so be gentle. I have been trying to find razors and any vintage shaving equipment to use or to display. I found this beautiful GEM Minute Man set at an antiques mall near me. It looks like it was never used. There is no corrosion anywhere on the entire set. It came with a full set of instructions. The box was there, but it was in pieces. It was so pretty, I had to have it. I'm not sure if I'm going to try shaving with a single edge razor or not, but the razor feels really nice in my hand.

IMG_7684.JPG

IMG_7678.JPG

IMG_7679.JPG
IMG_7681.JPG

IMG_7680.JPG

You could do a whole lot worse than a Gem 1912 for your introduction to wet shaving. Get yourself some Gem stainless steel ptfe coated blades and have at it. :thumbup1:

--Bob

That is a beautiful Gem set! Congrats and welcome! There is a wealth of information on this forum and knowledgable, friendly members. Take your time and remember that each shave is new chance to experience, learn and enjoy something special that so many others view as a chore.

I'm brand new to wet shaving (meaning I want to do it, but haven't even started), so be gentle. I have been trying to find razors and any vintage shaving equipment to use or to display. I found this beautiful GEM Minute Man set at an antiques mall near me. It looks like it was never used. There is no corrosion anywhere on the entire set. It came with a full set of instructions. The box was there, but it was in pieces. It was so pretty, I had to have it. I'm not sure if I'm going to try shaving with a single edge razor or not, but the razor feels really nice in my hand.
Beautiful 1912! Since there are no seals to break, I say use it, you wont hurt it. Those are some of the best razors ever made enjoy it.:thumbsup:

And Welcome to the forum!

Top Bottom