What's new

Single edge blade guide

I didn't think about oil or something like that. Next time I'll try wiping the blades down before I put them in the razor. It could also be that I was just having an off day for some other reason. I'll keep at it and see what happens.

Just a thought for safety reasons: You might want to just swish your razor/blade in a glass of good soapy water and then rinse with hot water before your shave. That should remove any oil residue and keep you from cutting yourself.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that with the next blade, although I haven't had any issues with cutting myself. Based on the results of my injector shave today (same problem I described with the SE blades), I'm about ready to chalk the whole thing up to my skin drying out because of the cold winter air. Thanks to all of my acquisition disorders, I should have what I need on hand to deal with that problem :).

Good review, Tom. Thank you. Today I saw a 10 pack of TopCare blades made by Topco at Market Basket for $1.99. The blades were made in Korea.

Hos anyone tried these blades.I don't know if they are for SE's or not

Attachments

• $permasharpsinglemain.jpg
    $permasharpsinglemain.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 251
Whew, glad I found this thread. I just picked up a GEM Micromatic and was wondering about blades. Apparently hardware store single edge blades are not a good idea :) Thanks for all the great info in this thread!

Made in South Korea, Healthy Accents labeled SE blades get the must avoid ratiing. I found them at the Hannaford supermarket chain in MA. Wish I'd seen this thread first.

:cursing:

More here -

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/328119-Blades-from-the-Market

Ouch. Do you think all South Korean (as if there may be North Korean ones) blades are bad? The ones I saw were not Dorco but rather Topco. I can buy some and try, but the problem is that they are going to be the first SE blades I ever tried. Anybody tried these?

$b_2012030919031570087.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. I am waiting for a NOS GEM Junior. Will get some blades from Walgreens and if I like the shaves, get more off Amazon.

Ah, another New Englander! Nope, not buying Korean SE blades. Just received four packs of GEM stainless off Amazon for $9 shipped. you might want to check them out too. They ship fast from NJ.

The Pal, Gem Blue Star, Treet, and Gem stainless are all coated blades. I wrote ASR years ago, and was told this. The only uncoated varieties are sold for industrial use. Also, these can all be ordered online, shop around for the best prices. Personally, I will go with a carbon steel any time and, as indicated, I dry it and put it on a paper towel to air dry. While I am at it, I always flip the blade over. In that way I am using both sides of the edge, and they last longer that way.

Top Bottom