What's new

Single edge blade guide

Those are repackaged ASRs.
I will post photos tmrw hopefully.

The Rite Aid branded SE blades must be a new thing, because I've yet to see any around here. I was in Rite Aid a couple days ago and they had three packages of Treets, but I didn't see the ones you're talking about, didn't even see a bin for them. If you can see the ends of the vaults in the package it might tell us who they are made by.

Is there a difference between the ASR "Gem Personna" stainless blades sold in 10 packs, and the Ted Pella "Coated" stainless blades sold in boxes of 100? They appear to have the same markings, and I'm not sure I can tell the difference between them. Just curious.

Is there a difference between the ASR "Gem Personna" stainless blades sold in 10 packs, and the Ted Pella "Coated" stainless blades sold in boxes of 100? They appear to have the same markings, and I'm not sure I can tell the difference between them. Just curious.
I believe they are identical. The Pellas are the same blades, just sold in bulk instead of retail packaging.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
just what i was looking for!! do a google search for DE blades and you get hundreds of hits but you know they are all for shaving. do a google search for SE blades and you also get hundreds of hits but can't tell if they would be good for shaving or not! problem solved thanks to Tom!

You guys are welcome, I'm glad my guide has proven useful.

As to the question of the blades from Walgreens and the medical supply sites and online vendors , HERE is a thread from a couple years ago. MrGuy took some photos of both blades and you can see there's a definite difference in their appearance, but I can't tell any difference in performance, although some guys can.

I was checking out a couple of the med supply sites (looking to lay in a century's worth of SE blades to fuel this new AD) - and they do sell coated injector blades. I couldn't tell from the pics whether or not the magazines are of the never-work-and-toss-em Personna type or the somewhat better (at least the trigger engages the blade) Chick sort.

Has anyone used the medical injectors? Are they substantial and reliable?

(and I apologize if the answer is deeper in this thread, or in any others... I've lost my search mojo, it seems.)

The blades sold by the medical supply sites are the ones made by ASR/Personna's that come in the *$&^^# plastic dispensers.

The blades sold by the medical supply sites are the ones made by ASR/Personna's that come in the *$&^^# plastic dispensers.
YES! Those dispensers are shamelessly cheesy. I continue using my NOS blade cartridges. Someday I'll have to play around with those Persona cartridges as I prefer USA stuff if possible. The so called Chick blades are Chicom and I'm old enough to remember Mao and the insanity that was Red China. I prefer not adding to their GNP.

Tom,

Thanks from another B&B member who is just wetting his feet into SE shaving. Your SE blade guide was immensely helpful to me in buying my first SE blades!

I just used one of the GEM personna's and man it seemed dull I had major razor burn. I did the finger test on a few and they seem not that sharp.

Now this is my first time using a SE razor and maybe I had the angle wrong but my face is still burning.

I just used one of the GEM personna's and man it seemed dull I had major razor burn. I did the finger test on a few and they seem not that sharp.

Now this is my first time using a SE razor and maybe I had the angle wrong but my face is still burning.

If your blades came in one of those ASR cassettes, make sure you push the blade straight out so that the edge doesn't drag on the inside. Obvious, but I messed up the edge on a blade early in my SE experience this way. :blushing:

Yes there the ones with the blade vault. I did take them out when I first got the and put them back in.

I'm not sure how that would dull them up though. Are the PFTE's sharper than the personna's?

Tom,

What is the issue with using hardware store "window scraper" single edge blades for shaving with say an OCMM?

Is it a sterilization issue, a blade quality for shaving issue, a # of shaves per blade issue, or something else?

In my experience as a woodworker and luthier, these type blades are extremely sharp, so I have to ask this of you as I can't find a straight answer on this anywhere yet.

Any and all thoughts deeply appreciated,

Chris

The ones sold at hardware stores are sharp, but nowhere near sharp enough to shave with. I've experimented enough with a few of the blades available at places like Home Depot and Lowes to be convinced to stick with the ones actually made for shaving.

Tom,

What is the issue with using hardware store "window scraper" single edge blades for shaving with say an OCMM?

Is it a sterilization issue, a blade quality for shaving issue, a # of shaves per blade issue, or something else?

In my experience as a woodworker and luthier, these type blades are extremely sharp, so I have to ask this of you as I can't find a straight answer on this anywhere yet.

Any and all thoughts deeply appreciated,

Chris

I have tried it. It honestly just did not take my whiskers off. It didn't pull or drag much at all, just didn't cut. Of course, there may be better scraper blades than what I tried.

Top Bottom