What's new

Simpsons 90th Anniversary Brush (Astor) Discussion Thread

Even more than the shape, the faux horn is really amazing. Its hard to get a feel from the photos, but the coloring, variation, and overall quality are superb.

Am I alone in this?

Mine arrived this morning, 5 days to ship from the US to Australia, I'm impressed. I'm even more impressed with my brush, #55, is a thing of beauty and also utility. It looks great but also feels good in the hand. I plan on using her for tonight's shave.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Pete

Congrats!

I originally thought it not only odd to celebrate 90 years in light of the sale to Vulfix, and just the "number", not one that would normally be celebrated. I had doubts about the faux horn, the price, on and on. I'm convinced after so many great reports on this particular brush. I thought as well early on that the Astor handle shape (according to Gordon at SMF, a Coate's rather than Simpson design) was appropriate. It seems to be now that it is shown. Why not a rebirth of the Astor? Perhaps they might think it would devalue this special edition? I'd think (k)not.

Why not. I mean as long as it isn't Faux Horn and not Two Band then the 90th anniversary edition would still be special.

Even more than the shape, the faux horn is really amazing. Its hard to get a feel from the photos, but the coloring, variation, and overall quality are superb.

Am I alone in this?

Nope you are not alone. It looks fantastic. It is without a doubt the nicest looking faux horn I've ever seen. :thumbup1:

I am debating on picking up one of these before they are gone. I currently own a Rooney 3/2 finest. The Astor (light bulb) looks very similar to Rooney (fan shaped) and has similar dimensions, so part of my hesitancy is that I am basically buying the same brush. I was wondering if all of you who have tried a Rooney finest before think this Astor is comparable as far as quality, etc? Thanks.

I'd say it was a totally different beast.

Speaking only in terms of the knot, the Rooney has an incredibly dense, firm knot. The Simpson is dense (although not quite as dense as the Rooney), but softer and with more flex. I also feel like the bulb shaped knot handles differently in my scuttle, and a little different while lathering. I wouldn't say they are very similar.

The handle shape feels somewhat similar in the hand, but not quite. The Simpson feels larger, more substantial. The Rooney feels light and maneuverable.

Anyone else?

Last edited:
I'd say it was a totally different beast.

Speaking only in terms of the knot, the Rooney has an incredibly dense, firm knot. The Simpson is dense (although not quite as dense as the Rooney), but softer and with more flex. I also feel like the bulb shaped knot handles differently in my scuttle, and a little different while lathering. I wouldn't say they are very similar.

The handle shape feels somewhat similar in the hand, but not quite. The Simpson feels larger, more substantial. The Rooney feels light and maneuverable.

Anyone else?

I also have a Rooney 1/2 Finest and generally agree. I don't think the Finest can be matched for its overall combination of density, backbone and luxurious tips. But the Astor is no slouch: plenty of backbone and density but more flexible. So yes, different brushes.

Within my small brush collection, I actually think the better comparison is between my Astor and Rooney 1/2 Super. Both knots are similar in size and overall softness. But the Astor seems denser and feels more firm.

Well, after getting reports via PM from Mr. Scruffy and Texbilly, I caved!

Number 26 was delivered to my office a couple of hours ago. Unfortunately, I can't come up with a credible excuse to go home and try it out, so I guess that I'll have to wait until morning. :thumbdown

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Well, after getting reports via PM from Mr. Scruffy and Texbilly, I caved!

Number 26 was delivered to my office a couple of hours ago. Unfortunately, I can't come up with a credible excuse to go home and try it out, so I guess that I'll have to wait until morning. :thumbdown

Pictures will come soon; but trust me - it's great looking!

Hooray, Ken!!!! :thumbup:
By the way, after having the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Ken in Austin and via PM, it was gratifying to meet yet another fine gent who has the same lack of willpower, uh, I mean wisdom as me. :lol:

I know the last thing I need is another brush, especially as im awaiting the (hopefully awesome) butterscotch LE, but this and the two band chubby two are calling my name - im not sure which (if any) to get though.

The chubby 1 is a great size and allows for relative ease in loading soaps (esp. from pucks in wooden bowls). Excellent flow-through.

The chubby 2 is a wonderful brush, but a bit too big for my face, and much harder to load from a smaller soap puck / bowl. Requires more product.

I am very happy with my Simpsons ASTOR 90th Anniversary Brush !

Regards,
Eelco

Just for fun !

ASTOR 90th Anniversary Brushes World Wide:

No. 03/90 SF Bay Area / Davis USA
No. 07/90 Tuscaloosa, Alabam USA
No. 35/90 Amsterdam, The Netherlands
No. 39/90 Houston, TX USA
No. 41/90 Round Rock, TX USA
No. 50/90 ?
No. 54/90 Japan
No. 55/90 Queensland, Australia
N0. 69/90 Järvenpää, Finland

:biggrin1:

No. 07/90 Tuscaloosa, Alabama USA
No. 29/90 Richardson (Dallas), Texas USA
No. 50/90 ?
No. 54/90 Japan

First shave with mine last night and I am very pleased. I could tell straight away that this brush is a cut above the others in my collection. It whipped up an amazing amount of lather and was so soft on my face. I can only imagine what it will be like when properly broken in.

Pete

I am very happy with my Simpsons ASTOR 90th Anniversary Brush !

Regards,
Eelco

Just for fun !

No. 07/90 Tuscaloosa, Alabam USA
No. 50/90 ?
No. 54/90 Japan

:biggrin1:

Cool to see it like that. I'm sure there are other B&Bers out there we can add to the list. :cool:

No. 50/90 ?
No. 54/90 Japan

:thumbsup:

No. 50/90 ?
No. 54/90 Japan

:thumbup:
View attachment 93158
Eelco

An aside, Ken -- beautiful vintage PL10! What do you think of her?

I keep a number of my soaps in large Old Spice coffee mugs, so I need something with a little size on it to get down to the soap. The PL10 has the reach and it is just stiff enough to do a great job with turning soap into lather.

:thumbup:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
How many Simpson Anniversary Astors are in the hands of traditional wetshavers worldwide who have never heard of shaving forums? My guess is less than a half dozen. This gives me plenty of time to cave and pick one up perhaps. When will the first one show up on a BST? Hmmmmm.

Top Bottom