What's new

Should it stay or should it go???

I have the brush pictured below that I was given by my father. He thinks that it is just a cheap kit brush, but I wanted to check. The brush has a major shedding problem, losing multiple fibers with just a simple shake. Is this brush worth trying to restore, or is it the trash heap for a cheap, failing brush?
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Happy Shaving
-Chris
US Army Veteran, Foxhole Shavers Club Member

If it came from my dad I'd either re-knot it or build a shadow box with the brush and a razor in it as bathroom art.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

If it came from my dad I'd either re-knot it or build a shadow box with the brush and a razor in it as bathroom art.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention that my dad is the one that called it junk. He gave me another two brushes, one that was my great grandfathers (which I have in a post already), and the one pictured below.
proxy.php

Happy Shaving
-Chris

I would let #1 go. It is a Surrey. #2 looks interesting enough to keep, but perhaps not very practical.

I would let #1 go. It is a Surrey. #2 looks interesting enough to keep, but perhaps not very practical.

Thanks BSAGuy. 2 is one that I will never use, but never get rid of. I think it was grandpa's. Thanks for helping identify #1. Would it even be worth giving away for someone to restore?

Happy Shaving
-Chris

Not really. I had one of those from my grandfather. Tried to sell it here, but no takers. If your dad has blessed tossing it and has no real connection, that is what I would do.

Sounds good. Just cleared it with him again. Headed to the trash heap.

Happy Shaving
-Chris

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If it goes there will be trouble
And if it stays it will be double

The one in the first photo I can buy you the same thing downtown for $5. The only reason I would see to keep would be if it had sentimental value.

The second one I have no idea about. It has a very unique handle and you say it has value to you. Personally, I would send that one to Rudy Vey and have him restore it.

I'm a re-knotting fool. If you like the feel of a handle; you can remove the Surrey's knot, weight the handle, install a Maggard's synthetic knot, and sand and polish the handle better than new. Even a cheap brush can be made in to a great travel brush!

IMG_0160.JPG

I agree with the rest, unless the Surry has sentimental value it's not worth restoring. They are cheap to begin with, why put time and money into something of little value. Plenty of other more interesting and visually appealing handles out there.

Top Bottom