What's new

Shoe Shine Tutorials

Quick question. I've never shined shoes before. I have a horse hair brush that was gifted to me for cleaning my cowboy boots. Does one need a separate brush for different colors of shoes? I know that the wax/polish needs to be correct (ie, don't use brown for black). Anything else I should know, or prepare to have 2 of? I have brown shoes and black shoes....as well as the boots. Thanks!

the accepted idea is yes two brushes at least. one black one brown. horsehide are great. amazon has good prices. lots of videos on you tube on shoe shinning. enjoy yourself

After looking at these, does no one else burn their kiwi wax first, in order to melt it? I always open the can and light it on fire, it'll melt and then set the cap on top to snuff the flame, apply wet. I find it especially useful for boots when you want to waterproof the welt and any other stitching, use a toothbrush and it'll really soak in there.

I confess I did not watch the videos. I have always "melted" my polish with a match before applying with an old cotton t shirt and buffing 3 ways in the order below:
1. with a brush
2. with a soft cotton cloth
3 with a panty hose

Heel dressing as required and BANG, I am done It chaps my *** to no end to see guys with great suits etc wearing shoes that look like they were shined with a hershey bar.

I confess I did not watch the videos. I have always "melted" my polish with a match before applying with an old cotton t shirt and buffing 3 ways in the order below:
1. with a brush
2. with a soft cotton cloth
3 with a panty hose

Heel dressing as required and BANG, I am done It chaps my *** to no end to see guys with great suits etc wearing shoes that look like they were shined with a hershey bar.

That's about the same procedure I was taught in the army. Melt the polish and apply. After that buff from course to fine. My old army boots are still shiny enough to correct my hair in the reflection of my shoes.

Question for you guys who love to shine shoes. I have a new pair of tan, cap toe J&Ms (who knew a guy could fall in love with a pair of shoes)....but I digress. My question: I start by cleaning the shoe with a horse hair brush. Then I am wondering is it necessary to polish shoes with coloured polish every time or can you just use a neutral polish...just to condition the leather? In polish colours, what colour is tan?

Question for you guys who love to shine shoes. I have a new pair of tan, cap toe J&Ms (who knew a guy could fall in love with a pair of shoes)....but I digress. My question: I start by cleaning the shoe with a horse hair brush. Then I am wondering is it necessary to polish shoes with coloured polish every time or can you just use a neutral polish...just to condition the leather? In polish colours, what colour is tan?
IMO, if you want the natural color/colors of your shoes to show through just use neutral. But if you want your shoes to be a fixed color it's best to stick with one of the incredibly huge variety of polishes available.

Here's a tiny sample:
upload_2017-8-2_0-46-51.png

If you do go for a fixed color I'd aim for the lightest possible tan you can find first.
Like this one say:
upload_2017-8-2_1-17-9.png

Usually that will make your shoes plenty dark enough... but if it's too light you can always go darker. If you go dark first you've kinda shot yourself in the foot (so to speak :devil:).

Last edited:
Top Bottom