What's new

Shaving Pottery Reference Thread (Scuttles, Bowls & Mugs) ADD YOUR PIC!!!

I have this SRD scuttle. Just got it today and I'm in love with it already. I posted a review in the review section.

Attachments

• $IMAG0116.jpg
    $IMAG0116.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,335
In my limited dealings with SRD, I put them on par with Phil at Bullgoose (which is saying a lot). I ordered on Wednesday afternoon and had it on Saturday morning (would have probably been sooner if it wasn't still the holidays). I had a tracking number within hours of my order.

So, yes, it was in stock.

Nice add, Breadstick.

SRD folks are helpful, friendly, great folks.

Waiting for a blue one to get in stock. Beautiful.

That does look like a fine scuttle! Taller and deeper than the G5 it seems. That would be ideal for how I use a scuttle - very little mixing in the bowl and keeps the brush and lather warm between passes.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
My Sterling Silver Baby Cup (as my soap mug...which is engraved with my full name & birth date and these engraved quotes;
"To Smoke is Human..."To Smoke Cigars is Divine" and "A Great Lather is Half the Shave".), is small enough (2½ inchs wide), to easily fit my VDH Deluxe soap perfectly and at the same time being only 2 inchs deep, it prevents almost all shave brush 'clanking'.and I use a fast small ('whipping' motion), when I load my brush prior to face lathering :thumbup:

Also, I've found that standard size coffee mugs (3½ - 4inchs tall), to be too deep (which can cause pain in my fingers building a lather especially since I kind of have big ‘Bear Claws’.
proxy.php
and my FS Silvertip, Parker Black Badger and CW Pure Badger and my vintage Every-Ready brushes don't have a long handles (2 inchs max), and that any other mugs and bowls (with a handle), are either too deep, wide, and bulky for me to nicely maneuver due to my MS and carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists (which surgery has not totally alleviated). :blushing:

Although I own and use my Becker Scuttle at times, one benefit of face lathering is that it gives a great exfoliating sensation on my face which I find quite pleasing and look forward to every morning. When I go for a second pass (atg),...I just re-lather with hot water and 'go' again.

Check out these Threads;

1. What are your preferences in a shaving bowl?

2. Minimum Width For Shaving Mug/Bowl.

3. Mug Bowl shape / size.

4. What is the best shaving mug/bowl?

5. Which is [the] Best Mug /Bowl or Scuttle?

:straight: "Laughter is the [shaving] brush [and mug/cup] that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart." Mort Walker

Attachments

• $wm_normal_shaving_cup.jpg
    $wm_normal_shaving_cup.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 2,898
How long do they keep the lather warm?

I take about 20 minutes to shave and the lather stays warm throughout. The lather stays warm for so long because the Becker scuttles have ridiculously large water reservoirs. The 001 holds about 4 cups of water and the 005 holds about 2-1/2 cups.

Here's a couple pics of the Robert Becker #002 in black that I should be receiving tomorrow. I'm excited to try it out!
$#2 black scuttle 1.jpg$#2 black scuttle 2.jpg

Top Bottom