What's new

Shaving Cream Help Required

Question for all you more experienced shavers. Just shaved with a new ASCO blade in my Muhle R41 using Geo. F. Trumper Lime soft shaving cream in tub. Had a couple of close calls with the sharpness of the blade, to me it just felt like there was no lubricity in the cream, felt like no cushion or slickness in the foam, and it was just blade on unprotected skin. Used my Simpson Chubby 1 in Super so I felt lather was sufficient. Can anyone recommend a slick shaving cream as I am having to re-up my supply shortly, many thanks for any and all help. Glad to be amongst veteran shavers.

I am really enjoying the New York Shaving Company's Elizabeth Street cream. I've used it exclusively for the last month and have gotten some really great shaves with it.

Move to Truefitt and Hill and try 1805 or Grafton or Trafalgar. I am getting remarkable residual slickness from these products and as far as creams go, they seem superior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I find the new Proraso's (Wood & Spice, Cypress & Vetyver) to be a lot thicker and slicker that the original Proraso creams. Smells are awesome too. Unfortunately, my cream experience is limited to Proraso and Palmolive products. I'm typically a soap guy but these new Proraso creams may have converted my. (I could just be experiencing "new toy syndrome" as well.

It's unclear if this was the first time using an ASCO blade?
It was a rough blade for me...
It does sound like you have used this cream often - what is your regular blade?
How is performance with your regular setup?
I guess what I'm getting at is it might not be your lather, but the blade used?

I would agree that your previous experience with the cream suggests that you know how to build a proper lather with it. So that suggest you are right about the blade. Different blades work for different people. Some people swear by Astras while others may not like them. Use the same set up and substitute a different blade. I like Gillette Silver Blues and Voskhods. Both are Russian made and my face seems to like them.

It's unclear if this was the first time using an ASCO blade?
It was a rough blade for me...
It does sound like you have used this cream often - what is your regular blade?
How is performance with your regular setup?
I guess what I'm getting at is it might not be your lather, but the blade used?
Yes, I think you are on to something there, that was the other variable that I was considering, the blade, it had been so long since I had used that paricular blade I really had no mental reference to go by, Thanks

Move to Truefitt and Hill and try 1805 or Grafton or Trafalgar. I am getting remarkable residual slickness from these products and as far as creams go, they seem superior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, Truefitt & Hill is the only one of the big 4 British brands that I have not gotten to yet, 1805 sounds good

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The possibilities are endless. Try some Castle & Forbes lime or lavender.

These are the standard upon which all creams are judged. Most fall short. Don't be deterred by the initial price: comes in a big tub and only requires half the product of most creams.

I've always wanted to try Castle & Forbes cream but up here in Canada it's $60 so it's kind of out of my price range.

I just repeated the experiment, maybe it was the ASCO in the Muhle angle that wasn't jiving, but it seemed that after applying full lather then doing the sides first by the time I got to the upper chin area the shaving cream had run out of OOOOMPH, then had to re-apply but it just seemed like cushioning was MIA, money is tight so I'd like to get good one this time around. Has anyone ever used any of those tallow based soaps like Mitchells Woolfat Soap??, soap or cream it doesn't matter.. and has anyone had experience with the Simpsons cream, Castle & Forbes seems like the top choice but I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of dough

If you are looking for tallow based soaps, Stirling Soaps are well liked around here and they are pretty inexpensive. Good performers as well. I'm working through some samples myself. Give them a try.

On order. I have castle Forbes lavender and its great. It may be $60 but it will last 2 or 3 times longer than other cream. It's extremely thick out of the jar, you only need a little bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170319-202713.jpg
    Screenshot_20170319-202713.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom