What's new

Shaving bowl

Hello all,

I've been looking to buy a shaving bowl but I've seen lots of types (wood, steel, ceramic) and was wondering if the material of the bowl makes a difference? (Using a shaving cream in a hard water area if that makes any difference) I've seen bowls, mugs and a few that look like the floor pots in my garden. Is there anything benifithial about the more complicated styles?

Are there any brands that any one would recommend or suggest I avoid?

Any advice welcome!

I just used a shaving mug for the longest time time and it worked just fine. My son gave me a ceramic scuttle for Christmas and I have been using it ever since. The nice thing about a scuttle is you put hot water in the bottom and it keeps the lather warm. The bad thing is that they are more expensive and if you drop it it breaks.

I have a ceramic bowl that I bought in an antique store that cost me $3.50 and is about the same size as the Captain's Choice bowls except is about 3" deep as opposed to 1 1/4" deep. It is slightly tapered inside also, but great to use. I hold it on an angle slightly and rotate it at the same time I am lathering the brush. This seems to help get a more consistent lather imo...
20170204_162246-1.jpg 20170204_162337-1.jpg

Last edited:
I just used a shaving mug for the longest time time and it worked just fine. My son gave me a ceramic scuttle for Christmas and I have been using it ever since. The nice thing about a scuttle is you put hot water in the bottom and it keeps the lather warm. The bad thing is that they are more expensive and if you drop it it breaks.

Scuttles look great. Did you find you needed to tweak technique when you switch from the mug?

I have a ceramic bowl that I bought in an antique store that cost me $3.50 and is about the same size as the Captain's Choice bowls except is about 3" deep as opposed to 1 1/4" deep. It is slightly tapered inside also, but great to use. I hold it on an angle slightly and rotate it at the same time I am lathering the brush. This seems to help get a more consistent lather imo...
View attachment 764299 View attachment 764300

I don't know why, but I never thought of this. I may have some old ceramic bowls from a brief attempt at pottery. Cheers for the idea!

I have a scuttle an oval one I can't get the hang of. I also have a copper shave bowel and that thing is awesome and I use it daily and get great shaves and excellent lather. Plus it only costs about $15 delivered off eBay.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are my lather bowls. I put the in order of acquisition date. My favorite and the one I go to most often is the third one. My least favorite is the first one I bought. The inner lip results in the brush banging up against the bowl and making lots of noise. I really like the one with the notch in it for the brush to rest but it is just a tad too big. And I just got the turkish hand hammered copper mug so getting to know it. But so far so good. I think a scuttle is just overkill. Too much weight and too much to fuss with.

IMG_0224.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

And sorry about the bunny rabbit in the fourth pic. My wife stuck it there among all of my shave gear and I decided to keep the peace and just leave it there.

QUOTE="MntnMan62, post: 8856517, member: 109467"]These are my lather bowls. I put the in order of acquisition date. My favorite and the one I go to most often is the third one. My least favorite is the first one I bought. The inner lip results in the brush banging up against the bowl and making lots of noise. I really like the one with the notch in it for the brush to rest but it is just a tad too big. And I just got the turkish hand hammered copper mug so getting to know it. But so far so good. I think a scuttle is just overkill. Too much weight and too much to fuss with.

View attachment 764343

View attachment 764344

View attachment 764345

View attachment 764346

View attachment 764347

And sorry about the bunny rabbit in the fourth pic. My wife stuck it there among all of my shave gear and I decided to keep the peace and just leave it there.[/QUOTE]

Do you find any difference with the ridges in the fourth bowl, as in easier to produce a good lather? The other look quite smooth.

And sorry about the bunny rabbit in the fourth pic. My wife stuck it there among all of my shave gear and I decided to keep the peace and just leave it there.

Use a cutting disc on a rotary tool and carefully cut a slot in the top of the rabbit and use it for a blade bank.

Go cheap. I use a sugar bowl that I got at a thrift store for 62 cents. Also, Old Spice mugs are super. Classic shaving accessories that look and work great.

Top Bottom