What's new

Shavemac Visit.... Lots of photos!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Shavemac was founded by Bernd’s father and initially started out to make handles for companies making shaving brushes located in the area (center of brush making in Germany). After Bernd joined the family company, he expanded their business by starting making their own brush knots. There are four departments at Shavemac:

• Knot making
  • Handle making
  • Engraving and installation of the knots in the handle
  • Shipping/accounting

Knots are made from selected badger hair that comes from a dressing company, i.e. sorting and cleaning of the hair for Shavemac is done out house. And with this, nobody receives a smelly brush!!
The knots are all made in house by experienced knot makers. Some of the pictures here are showing this process:

• Weighing of the needed amount of hair
  • Stacking in forming box
  • Tying of the hair with string
  • Forming of the knots by hand
  • Cutting off stray hairs
  • Epoxying of the knots
The handles are made in a different part of the building.
The length is cut from rod material, knot holes drilled and then formed into the typical Shavemac shapes by a special procedure: a mix of turning and grinding (the blanks are slowly rotated against a grinding wheel with the outside shape of the handle. This is followed by several fine buffing steps.

With an engraving system the handles are engraved with names, logos, dates etc.
In the final step the knots are installed in the handle, the brushes are packed and shipped worldwide.

The pictures here are showing some of the steps.

Bernd Blos, owner of Shavemac

Weighing the exact amount of hair needed to make a knot

Hair is placed in a stacking or forming box

The forming box is tapped on the granite plate to get all the hairs aligned

Tying off the knot with a string

The knot before final shaping by hand

The final shaping is done carefully by hand

Cutting off the stray hairs with a special knife

Afterwards, the bottom of the knots is cut straight and epoxy applied to stabilize the knot.
Some knots here shown are already cut and epoxied; the two in the lower part of the picture have not been cut yet.

Shaping the handle

Buffing and polishing the handle

The engraving station

Close-up of the cutting head

Cabinets full of finished handled

And finished knots...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks-that's awesome! Cool to see the craftsmanship involved in making a shaving brushes, and puts some of the high prices in perspective.

Sehr schön, Rudy und auch sehr nett von Herrn Blos
proxy.php

Thank you for sharing this with us. It gives me a new appreciation for the work, effort and experience that go into making these fine products. It also helps remind me that individual people are behind the making of these brushes not some large industrial type machine.

That must have been a very cool tour.

Very interesting to see those pics and how these wonderful brushes are made and assembled.

I wonder if my next custom Shavemac is in that bin somewhere :laugh:

Top Bottom