What's new

Shave Jelly - I'm a convert for life

Some of the older posts were somewhat negative, a few believe there is nothing that beats a brush & soap/cream. I always look for the most comfortable & trouble-free shave and don't mind expanding my choices. I enjoyed the samples of Shave Jelly I bought last year, but as the OP stated, the cost kept me from buying more. I prefer the Stephan Stay Smooth Lather-less SC, ~$5.25 for 16ozs @ Appleton Barber Supply, but @ $10.00 Flat-Rate shipping I'd need to have decent size order to make shipping worthwhile .

Ah, yeah, you're right.

Have anyone seen it being stocked by any European retailer? (Shipping from US really doesn't make it worth it).

LOL...I see this was an OLD post...so recently, no...no one has been hostile but there was a post that was very condescending...something like "well we can close up shop now", which I interpreted as derogatory and sarcastic. Like saying "Whoopdeedo!" It was remeniscient of a bully I once knew who threw me in the dirt after I showed them my new church pants. So to me it was hostile.

Hey, come on, take a ride This is a jelly that ain't no jive
It's live, live, it's all the way live Don't even have to lather don't even have to brush
Just go to your shave den and slide, slide, slippity slide Just forget about your troubles and your nine to five apply the jelly and you'll feel alive!
so come on this fantastic voyage
Now the groove's so funky, hey, what do you think? What is it called? It's called Fresh Farms Organics!

Bubblehead is the captain of this thread did you read what he just said?
So come along and pack a jar in your bag get up and jam y'all!

This I'd like to try one day. Sounds intriguing.

That was neat! One of the coolest, most fun posts I've ever read. Thanks for the smile it brought to my face.

Do another :001_tt1: I loved it.

Has anyone tried using this with a straight razor? I wonder how well it would work? The only problem I see, is that, being clear, it might be a little difficult to see where you've already made a pass. I'd like to try it, but don't really want to buy a half a gallon of it just to try it. Any place I could get a smaller quantity?
Thanks for sharing this. Nice for a change of pace now and then to try something really different. Thanks again.

bruseth

Kenny

Here is a hint for you... check out the ingredients of the RazoRock professional shave lube... with the addition of essential oil:001_smile

Going back through this whole post about the 'Shave Jelly', I found your post. Now I don't have to buy a half gallon just to try it out. I just ordered some of the 'RazoRock Professional Shave Lube' from The Italian Barber. Thanks for the tip. Can't wait to try it out. It'd be nice to use for a change of pace now and then, or if I'm on the road, or just plain in a hurry and don't want to build lather.

Thanks again.

bruseth

Kenny

Has anyone tried using this with a straight razor? I wonder how well it would work? The only problem I see, is that, being clear, it might be a little difficult to see where you've already made a pass. I'd like to try it, but don't really want to buy a half a gallon of it just to try it. Any place I could get a smaller quantity?
Thanks for sharing this. Nice for a change of pace now and then to try something really different. Thanks again.

bruseth

Kenny

Although I'm late, they do carry 5ml samples @35 cents each, a 1/2 gallon is a bit much unless you split it. The Peppermint keeps me from trying IB Shave Jelly, I hope he offers another scent like Lavender or scentless would be good, not everyone can use Menthol or Peppermint. Whether you use a straight or any other razor, the absence of whiskers will allow you to see where you've shaved, on second or third passes I feel for strays.

Last edited:
Shaving cream, shaving gel, shaving oil, shaving soap, DE, Straights, Carts, single edge, electric. Many paths to the top of the mountain but the view from the top is the same. It's about results and for many of us enjoying the process.

I don't think jelly is for me with DE shaving however it seems like something that would work well on occasion when I cart shave as I have found gels to be good for that.

But all that is neither here nor there. My main concern is this statement made by the OP.

We all know that the majority of this community will not even begin to consider anything that doesn't lather. Fair enough. Odd reason in my view but hey, different strokes for different folks...

Different strokes for different folks? :ohmy:

That is just wrong!!! We all know that it's "YMMV!!!" :laugh:

Just received my shipment today! I ordered from http://www.essentialwholesale.com/product/1028/shaving-jelly. I am waiting a few days to allow my beard growth to accumulate to really give this jelly a whirl, but here is some eye candy for ya'll. :001_smile

Yep I went for the half gallon.
$IMG_20130419_131450.jpg

Same ingredients as the original.
$IMG_20130419_131514.jpg

Jelly goodness.
$IMG_20130419_125641.jpg

And transferred some into an old RazoRock aftershave wax container.
$IMG_20130419_131557.jpg

I tried out the shave jelly today! I didn't use any prep such as a shower or preshave. I just went into the bathroom, applied the jelly and went straight to shaving. I had 5 days of growth, but everything went super smooth! It was very slick and provided a damn good shave. I usually shower or wash my beard with hot/warm water before shaving and I can't help but feel that doing so would help this jelly. I definitely noticed that my beard was not hydrated today. It was only my first time using it as well so I haven't signed off on anything yet.

I will be using this shave jelly for a week straight at least and see how I like it. So far the only things I dislike about it is the fact that it is nearly invisible on the face, and that it is almost scentless. I will be doctoring mine up a bit with some EO and eventually some type of dye, such as squid ink.

I have some of the Nevermore Whiskey on order. Looking forward to trying this out. On mornings when I feel rushed this sounds like it would be perfect. Sounds great for headshaving, too.

turkish barbers use this stuff as a preshave lotion. Then apply the lather. seems like it works well. Aloe quickly penetrates the skin. As for me I enjoy my lather but will definitely buy a jar soon.

I also remember seeing this stuff in the local Caribbean barbers, used mainly for touch ups on the sideburns and neck, face, etc.

Top Bottom