What's new

shave back of neck

Start by installing a retracting swing-out mirror facing the main bathroom mirror. Get a day, like an easy Sunday, when you have some extra time to commit to the shave. Whip up plenty of lather. Instead of rinsing out the extra lather, wet the back of the neck with a washcloth and use the two mirrors to brush the extra lather onto the back of the neck. As a beginner, use a mild razor and shave WTG and AGT up to the hairline, just like shaving the face below the sideburns. If I get bold, I may move on to barbershop-style trimming with a shavette. I have an inexpensvie Turkish Sedef (Pearl) on the way.

My barber shaves the back of my neck every time I get a haircut.
That used to be somewhat common, and with straight razors, before the AIDS scare of the 1980s. Even now, use of straight razors is not illegal in a number of states (Ohio for example) but their use has fallen out of favor to the point where newer barbers have no idea how to use them.
Lady Jane's does a neck shave with some disposable thing with each haircut now. However, I grow a lot of horse-hair so that shave is only good for a week or so. With shaving my own neck, I can reduce haircut frequency by half or more.

First, I got a retracting mirror - the Ikea Fräck, which is cheap on Amazon, and mounted it about 2m in front and slightly aside from the cabinet mirror. Then I got a cheap shavette just as something with which to learn.

Finish the traditional face shave. Wet your neck and let it soak while you shave. Finish the face. Pull out the retractable mirror and position it so you can see the back of your neck. Use the excess brush or mug lather to cover the neck hair. Carefully shave the neck hair downward and outward, WTG. If the hairline has been creeping down, chip at it with the shavette blade. Twist yourself as needed to get the different sides of the neck into view as you shave. As you gain proficiency, try some XTG and ATG with the shavette.
I had some bloodletting along the way, as well as some scrapes and some post-shave pain. Keep practicing from day to day. After about two weeks, you will have the right touch with the shavette and the pain will be gone.
For a few weeks now, I've kept my neck looking like it has just been treated to the barber shop.

I usually lather up my neck after my shave and find the center of my neck hairline and shave across the grain toward my ears( east to west and west to east) I find across the grain works best because it is very easy to hack into your hairline and to too high if you're going north to south with the razor, Be careful doing this because if you are uncomfortable holding a DE razor it can be heavy and Slip in your hands and slide down your neck. I have plenty of battle scars to prove it. I usually do it once a week Btw.

Top Bottom