What's new

Severe razor burn has come back , any advice?

Hello all. I use a Edwin jagin de 89 and recently found a blade that worked for me. Being the Gillette silver blue with the Taylor bond shaving cream for sensitive skin. I know It is my angle that is messing it up.
What is the best way to shave the neck area? The rest of my face is fine but the razor burns on my neck is something I cannot continue to have.
Thanks for any and all help

Definitely go back to with the grain only, recheck the angle, check lather, and go slower. You might be a candidate for the pre-shave oil that's pitched in so many threads. If things are bad enough, try getting some shaving gel (in a tube if possible) to try on your neck. If nothing else, the gel will help relieve some of the burn. Heck, even Aloe Vera gel.

Finally figuring out to go WITH the grain was a transformative discovery last week.

Only took me 33 years...

The too much pressure thing was also helpful.

I'm trying Proraso white tonight, I'll let you know how that works out.

Last edited:
Always go back to basics. I have had great success on my neck by doing mild skin stretching but stretch in specific directions. IE... when shaving the midline trachea area, not only will I extend my chin and use downward pressure with my other hand, but I may also stretch the skin to the left of my trachea or the right to move the skin being shaved to a flat area instead of shaving it on an uneven hump. I do the same thing on my neck in my other trouble spot on the right side of my neck. The hair swirls there and I do a combination of stretching towards and away from my ear to raise up the hairs in question. Hope that makes sense.

Also until you figure it out just stick with the grain or even take a day or two off to give the irritation a break.

Thanks for all your help. I have a hard time going with the grain with this razor. I think I need to rework my grip. Sense it is a short handle its almost like it makes me tend to try and shave harder. I will definitely go back with the grain and make sure I am doing all the appropriate steps.

Finally figuring out to go WITH the grain was a transformative discovery last week.

Only took me 33 years...

The too much pressure thing was also helpful.

I'm trying Proraso white tonight, I'll let you know how that works out.

So when you shave your neck you have been shaving in the up direction ? Or against the grain? That's what I have been doing as well. I just like the closer shave it gives. I feel like it never gets close enough when I don't do one pass like that. But then again I guess you can either pick or choose to have a good shave and razor burn or a shave that is still good but doesn't get as close.

Map your beard so that you knw te grain in every area. Many times, on one's neck, what you think is WTG isn't.

My neck, for example, the lower neck grows _upwards_, and slightly back, until you hit the curve towards the jawline - where it switches to down and back. I get the best shave there, going XTG both directions, rather than ATG and WTG. Mostly because if you try to go WTG, you're pulling the razor against three separate curves, and that's a sure recipe for disaster.

Hello all. I use a Edwin jagin de 89 and recently found a blade that worked for me. Being the Gillette silver blue with the Taylor bond shaving cream for sensitive skin. I know It is my angle that is messing it up.
What is the best way to shave the neck area? The rest of my face is fine but the razor burns on my neck is something I cannot continue to have.
Thanks for any and all help
Yes, my neck grows up but the from my chin to the bottom of the Adam's apple grows down. The bottom of the jawline grow from to back, essentially the same as chin to Adam's apple. Not much bothers my face, other than rushing/carelessness.

All the years shaving with the cartridge razors I really didn't care. Now that I look forward to shaving I'm paying attention.

Randy

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Incidentally the Nivea Men's post shave balm seems to help, along with remembering to use my alum block.

My neck was feeling its share of burn from shaving daily the last week or so. The Proraso white definitely left it feeling less ravaged.

I agree with only going WTG on the neck. I started shaving my neck with a XTG pass, a second XTG pass and then ATG. Shortly after I started that approach, I got 7 or 8 really ugly and painful bumps on my neck that also looked hideous. It took a couple of weeks to go away. Since then I have stuck with 3 XTG passes and no more problems. Also, watch your blade angle and no pressure. Good luck.

Agree with the suggestion that you should map your beard. Also, some Lucky Tiger may help things recover!

I use the same razor. I find that certain blades tear up my neck even though they provide a good shave everywhere else. It doesn't happen all of the time, but it happens enough that I won't ever go back to them. My favorite so far is the Personal Blue blade.

You might try some other blades to see if you continue to have the same problems.

Top Bottom