What's new

Semogue 620 vs. 610 vs. 820 vs. 830 etc

Is the only difference between these brushes the dimensions of the knot, or are there other differences? I'm trying to decide which "high-end" boar brush to get, but I'm having trouble choosing. All I know is that I want one with a transparent handle.

Density of bristles seems to differ, and also the percentage of softer "tops" bristles. Finally some say that the sketching (dye) process has an effect on the bristles.

620 - the scritchiest and slowest to break in
610 - the "medium" grade - breaks in reasonably quickly, good backbone and good softness. It's probably the Goldilocks for a number of reasons.
820 - See the 610, only a tad larger
830 - Premium 90% tops - fastest break-in, softest tips, least backbone

620 - the scritchiest and slowest to break in
610 - the "medium" grade - breaks in reasonably quickly, good backbone and good softness. It's probably the Goldilocks for a number of reasons.

Yep agree.

Great, thanks for the information! Do any of you by chance have a picture of a broken-in Semogue? I'm curious what they look like once they're broken in i.e. if they "bloom" a bit or if the bristles stay tightly packed pointing straight out.

Thanks,
Zander

Great, thanks for the information! Do any of you by chance have a picture of a broken-in Semogue? I'm curious what they look like once they're broken in i.e. if they "bloom" a bit or if the bristles stay tightly packed pointing straight out.

Thanks,
Zander

Woohoo! That was my 50th post! Perhaps I will celebrate with a B/S/T post or by reviewing one of my products! :thumbup:

I have the 830 and love it, I face lather and it broke in pretty fast. Very soft tips and enough backbone to build a nice thick lather.

I also have the 2000, it's a beast but fun to use sometimes.

I have the 830 and love it, I face lather and it broke in pretty fast. Very soft tips and enough backbone to build a nice thick lather.

I also have the 2000, it's a beast but fun to use sometimes.

Hey Jesse!
How would you compare your experience with the 830 to the Omega brush you PIFed me? By the way, thanks again. You got me hooked, that's for sure :blushing:

Thanks for asking this, zander, big help! :)

So this might sound a little ridiculous, but which one would compare to the VDH boar brush?

I like the feel of my VDH boar now that it's broken in, but I don't like the build quality of it. It's not too long, not too soft, and lathers like a champ. Would those who have both (and who doesn't have a VDH? :D) compare it to a 620 or a 610 for dimensions and firmness?

EDIT: On closer inspection it almost appears as if there's a plastic bulb or something in the base of the VDH Deluxe boar knot, which might be where that stiffness comes from. Confusing, this is!

Last edited:
Hey Jesse!
How would you compare your experience with the 830 to the Omega brush you PIFed me? By the way, thanks again. You got me hooked, that's for sure :blushing:

I think the 830 is a great brush. The Omega is fine but I was really looking for something softer. I definitely think the "higher-end" boars are exceptional brushes. The 830 is in perm. rotation now :)

Woohoo! That was my 50th post! Perhaps I will celebrate with a B/S/T post or by reviewing one of my products!

I believe the standard procedure for the 50th. post is to go out and buy the product that is being discussed in that thread. Lucky you as it looks like you will have four new boars coming in.:lol:

Ian

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I think the 830 is a great brush. The Omega is fine but I was really looking for something softer. I definitely think the "higher-end" boars are exceptional brushes. The 830 is in perm. rotation now :)

Go with the 610. It's got great backbone and soft tips. That brush is fit to compete with very good badgers.

-Andy

I believe the standard procedure for the 50th. post is to go out and buy the product that is being discussed in that thread. Lucky you as it looks like you will have four new boars coming in.:lol:

Ian

Ian, as much as I hate your idea, it's looking like there is no other solution. This thread has been very informative, but extremely unhelpful for choosing which to get. Now I just want them all... :mad3:

I ordered the 620 and the 610 thanks to this thread. One of them will most likely make it to the BST, but direct comparison seemed to be the only way to decide. At least they're affordable brushes!

Great choices, Just a friendly reminder though, it is going to take some time for that 620 to break in, that is the one that i have and almost gave up on it many times but perseverance paid off. I really am interested in your thoughts on the 610 with a side by side.

Ian

That's what I keep reading. Hopefully my expense can be Zander's gain as far as information. This is his thread afterall! ;)

That's what I keep reading. Hopefully my expense can be Zander's gain as far as information. This is his thread afterall! ;)

Why thank you! Please report back as I do not want to have to buy all of them!!!

Top Bottom