What's new

sedef shavette?

has anyone tried a sedef shavette?
Yes,wonderful shaver,but some skill needed,both to put the blade in,and because of its lightness in shaving, although i have not had any nicks as yet.
To put the blade in you have to break the tabs either side of the half de blade,and then insert the blade at a slight angle squaring off at the end leveling with a finger nail or piece of wood/plastic,and pushing home against anything.
Comparing with a Parker srx or Universal half blade a bit disconcertingly light,but if you can get the hang of it a superb/comfortable extremely close shave ,my only other razor as close and good is my Universal full blade.
I class the Sedef as a professionals tool.
I paid £2 99p delivered from ebay,dont let the cheap price put you off,i class this razor top of the pile a real tool for the job if you have the skill, as Tukish barbers have in abundance.

Sedef was my first incursion into wet-shaving, i'm happy I did it, I learned a lot and it helped me to continue forward. I have since relegated it to the back of the cabinet and don't see myself using it again, but i'm happy I started there.

It was the only shavette I had ever seen before this hobby. I rarely go to a barber for wet shaving but when I do barbers usually use a Sedef or Ali Biyikli, here in Turkey.

After returning back to DE's, I thought it would be a cult thing to use a Sedef Shavette at home. I never could load the blade properly, tough. It was too tight to insert a blade without cutting yourself. I've seen some videos on Youtube pushing the razor in with finger nail, but it looked dangerous and the edges of the blade would get dull, wouldn't it?

Only better thing I found that, it is light and narrow so it may be brilliant for tight places. And well, it is below 1 USD here.

Sedef was my first incursion into wet-shaving, i'm happy I did it, I learned a lot and it helped me to continue forward. I have since relegated it to the back of the cabinet and don't see myself using it again, but i'm happy I started there.
For many years i only used conventional straights,lately only the Sedef shavette.

Breaking the tabs at the end was the solution for my problems. I now started using it more often. I also use it with Chinese 6cm blades and they really work well by trimming just a few mm's at the end of the blade.

Top Bottom