What's new

Scuttles & Mugs

Nice! That is the shalllow one right?

yup, it's fairly shallow. i have 2 others marked "belgium" on the bottom and they have eng/fr writing on them (i guess marketed for canada) and now this one and 2 large steins.

2 house soaps (Cella & Valobra Lavanda) and i use premade frosting lids for the tops. the tops are not marked with anything, plain white, so i put a label on them so i know what soap it is.
1 houses Q-Tips, it's the taller one with the faded writing
2 steins house cleaning supplies for razors (toothbrushes, maas and an extra boar right now).

i love the OS mugs and i'd buy 10 more tomorrow if i could find them locally.

$IMG_5099.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use a mug/bowl anymore, but I do still snatch them up when I see them. Here's one in an Avon shaving kit my folks bought me for Christmas.

$avon mug.jpg

yup, it's fairly shallow. i have 2 others marked "belgium" on the bottom and they have eng/fr writing on them (i guess marketed for canada) and now this one and 2 large steins.

2 house soaps (Cella & Valobra Lavanda) and i use premade frosting lids for the tops. the tops are not marked with anything, plain white, so i put a label on them so i know what soap it is.
1 houses Q-Tips, it's the taller one with the faded writing
2 steins house cleaning supplies for razors (toothbrushes, maas and an extra boar right now).

i love the OS mugs and i'd buy 10 more tomorrow if i could find them locally.

View attachment 241566

That's a nice collection! First time I've saw them repurposed like that. I like that idea!

I don't use a mug/bowl anymore, but I do still snatch them up when I see them. Here's one in an Avon shaving kit my folks bought me for Christmas.

View attachment 241567

Nice James! How long ago did they get you that, do you recall?

ive seen lots ofthese and never understood how they were used because of the shelf in the top it was not used for a mug soap was it ? seems tough to lather around that so how would this have been used ?

It's not a shaving mug. It's a drinking mug. It's a "mustache cup". The shelf keeps the mustache out of the contents.

It's not a shaving mug. It's a drinking mug. It's a "mustache cup". The shelf keeps the mustache out of the contents.

yup, what he said.

i made the mistake of buying one at goodwill early in my wet shaving start. once i found out it was for "Mustache men", i gave it to the only Mustache Man I know...Penmanship.

Not that they aren't interesting on their own, and they are tonsorial....sort of.

One style of mug I've yet to try is the "Apothecary" mug. Any fans of the mugs with the knob on the side?

well that makes sense now, at least im not the only one to make the mistake even on the bay these are often described as shave mugs, lol though its funny to think there was a sustainable market at one point to support manufacturing of a mustache cup

I had an EJ one I got when I returned to DE shaving last year, but dropped it in the sink and cracked it. It was pretty fragile. Shortly after started face lathering with a soap stick, and haven't really looked back. I did like it though. It's pretty natural holding the knob between your fingers of one hand, and working your lather with the other.

Not that they aren't interesting on their own, and they are tonsorial....sort of.

One style of mug I've yet to try is the "Apothecary" mug. Any fans of the mugs with the knob on the side?

I just bought one and used it today. The knob is very useful to hold on to. The VDH bowl that I have been using has no handle and almost went into the sink a couple of times.

well that makes sense now, at least im not the only one to make the mistake even on the bay these are often described as shave mugs, lol though its funny to think there was a sustainable market at one point to support manufacturing of a mustache cup

At one time, most men were mustacheoed. And not these little things we wear today, but big full bushy mustaches that hung down below the lip, heck, they hung down below the bottom lip!

Last edited:
I picked up a few specaity mugs a couple of years ago before prices went out the roof. A couple of Pharmacist mugs for myself and a couple of Lawyer mugs for my son. One and a backup in case of breakage.

Johnny,
I looked all day yesterday and today for the Surrey mugs for you but came up a blank. sorry. I will keep looking for that one you need. It is burned into my pea brain.

I love my 1.5. I use it even without the hot water in it just as a lather bowl. It is so heavy, that you don't need to worry about holding it while whipping up lather. It just stays right on the wash cloth without moving.

I a usually whipping up lather with one hand and sipping my coffee or tea with other hand and not have to worry about holding the scuttle in place.

Top Bottom